Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32913 08-13-2003 04:21 AM
gnelson Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi. First the good part. After 2 years 9 months I had my Peg tube removed yesterday! I feel like a piece of my body is missing! I did not use it the whole time but had so many surgerys that I had to go back to using it that they left it in place.Now the bad part, I saw my plastic surgeon first, he has a new ides to take what is left of my old chin and take the fat out of it so it will be flat and even with the other side. Maybe I will be satisfied with that. NO! That leaves the side I have bar on ( titanium bar is now my Jaw bone) with indents and creases in very well seen . I said what about plan for backward face lift to cover all of this? He said he is afraid to get close to bar and infection. .I left his office more depressed than I have been in ages.I feel this guy is too hung up on the failed flap I had when bone did not take , he says someting about this at every visit, he also said he was afraid to do flap from my wrist to line my mouth, it was a success. My ENT was next and he said we could get close to bar in an operating room there is little danger of infection getting on bar, so he likes the idea of taking fat out of chin , but thinks we can cover the other side.I would like to get a new Plastic surgeon, but that would be at another medical center and I do not want to leave my ENT. If my Cancer would ever come back this is the guy I want treating me. I told him, I want to move forward with this and try to look as normal as possible and you guys are dragging your feet behind me.I really feel the plastic guy does not care about my emotional well being,I will not be satisfied until I look as normal as possible.Surgery is a risk always, I know I have had 9 so far, for 3 years I have lived with risk, the first one was no radiation, my ENT says he is a little shocked and suprised we have had no problems with return Cancer, getting the old bar out and getting the new was a big risk, flap from arm after the failure was a risk, now I am almost finished and I am suppose to get scared? Maybe I have lost something here, maybe I am not thinking clearly,anyone have an opinion of what they would do if it were them?I would welcome any input, my husband and I just keep going around in circles!

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#32914 08-13-2003 07:23 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your problem with the plastic surgeon. I know how you feel about getting back to normal, or as normal as we can be after cancer.Have a heart to heart with your ENT and see what he thinks.My Drs. had their heads together most of the time,maybe he can get to the the bottom of the issue for you. Gwen

#32915 09-11-2003 06:14 AM
gnelson Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, Well Gwen I thought I would post to let you know you were right! My ENT talked to Plastics and he says fatty chin first , then crease on side where tumor was, then he will give me a face lift on that side to pull all even, I will have a few light scars and indent in my neck but full face will look very normal. It will take 3 surgerys with 3 months healing time between.This is a lot better than the first story.I feel a lot better now that I know my ENT is going to make sure they help me and finish this properly. I will never be like I was, but I would like to be the best that I can be! Thanks for answering. My problems are sometimes different than the ones that everyone else has, and I sometimes feel I am alone with my difficulties. :rolleyes:

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#32916 09-11-2003 02:10 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi GNelson..........First, good news about PEG. I was happy the day she was removed also; it meant a sign of recovery and the fact that I could actually maintain my health by eating REAL FOOD. That was a very good day if I remember correctly.

About the plastics Doc -- why not just get a second opinion to see what another professional might consider trying. Doing that might ease your mind a bit and also let you hear first hand that there might be another option available. Don't give up now, you've traveled such a long hard journey and you deserve the very best face possible after everything is said and done. None of us are perfect, but we do want to be the best that we can be and if you can find a surgeon to help you along then i say "go for it", Keep us posted on how things turn out. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#32917 09-11-2003 07:12 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I think your attitude about this is great. Do what you think is right and step right over the things in your way!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23