Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29577 11-07-2007 02:33 AM
OP Offline

hello everyone.

thanks for all you do,this site has been a real life saver.I have a few questions

1.I found a small lump on the floor of my mouth sort of below the teeth,its not large and not painful but I am having it checked out. my question is,has anyone on here ever had roof of the mouth ulcers or had it in that area?

it seems like alot of poster have had problems on their tongue.

2,secondly I noticed alot of posters on here are younger than the statistics seem to point out,I am 40 and was wondering if there seems to be an average age on here.Just seems suprising alot of younger people on her.r

thanks everyone for everything, this forum really has made things easier,most of the web surfing is so vague about symptoms,I have only had ulcer or bump for a week but it is scary.Its nice to hear from real people.God bless everyone for contributing

Cheers

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I'm a little confused by your description of what you found. You mention a lump on the floor of your mouth and then you refer to ulcers on the roof of your mouth. The title of your post says lump on the roof of the mouth. See why I'm confused?

Is the lump on the bone below the teeth or the floor of your mouth?

One reason that the age of oral cancer patients has been shifting to the younger age group is due to some cancers being related to HPV (human papiloma virus). There is a great deal of information on HPV on this site and you can find it by using the search engines.

Who are you going to to get your lump and ulcers checked out? When is you appointment?

If you can give us more specific information, we can be more helpful.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
OP Offline

thanks for your response wilckdds ,sorry about the mixup on the post .the lump is on the floor of my mouth,I am just so used to saying roof of the mouth ,floor of the mouth is not a term I use alot.

It actually is on the back part of the bone,or the interior part of my gums.I am not even sure if thats considered the floor of the mouth.Its been there over a week,10 days.It is a pale hard lump . ,I have scheduled a dentist appointment next week on friday but I may change it to an ENT.

this is all very confusing and frightening and I am trying to learn more on the internet.Thank you for you response and the info on HPV.

thanks again
Greg

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Greg,
Would you mind answering a couple of questions? I may be able to help shed some light on your "lump". I was a little confused for the same reason Jerry was on your post. You have cleared that up so...
You have clarified that it is on the lower and on the interior part of your gum. Right or Left?
How far back? (beside farthest back tooth, halfway by middle teeth, behind front teeth)
How did you become aware of it? Can you see it when you look in a mirror and what does it look like? (size, shape, color etc.)

Just trying to help you figure this out. Be careful of the information you find on the internet there is a lot of poor advice.

E-mail or PM me if you think I can be of assistance.

Cheers,

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.

Greg,

Your new explanation has made things more understandable. You do know that neither Mike nor I can diagnose your problem over the internet, but we are willing to give you our thoughts based on the information you have given us.

I have had many patients over the years suddenly notice something in their mouths that have obviously been there for a long time. One common area that this happens is along the bone below the teeth in the lower jaw on the tongue side. A common, benign, hard, raised area in this part of the mouth is called a mandibular torus. It is usually pink and can be small, large or even have multiple bumps, It usually occurs on both sides, but doesn't have to be bilateral.

Now, I'm not saying that this is what you have, but I would certainly keep your appointment with a dentist who is the one that most likely knows this area of the mouth the best. Maybe you could get your appointment moved up if you tell the receptionist that you are really worried about this and would appreciate just a minute of the dentist's time to take a quick look. That's all it will take.

Good luck.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

OP Offline

Thanks DR.Mike and Jerry,

I am going to email you tommorowand thanks so much guys for contributing to this forum ,I can't tell you how much it means to actually talk and hear stories from real people.

the info on the internet is so vague,there is so many things to observe in the mouth and so many times something may seem like cancer.It can be really frightening.

This forum is wonderful.I just wish you didn't have to get sick or have a scare to meet so many kind people like this.

take care everyone and god bless
Greg

Greg,

I haven't gotten an email from you or seen any recent posts so I was wondering where you are at this point.

Jerry

Jerry

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users