Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Gary has got this right. The locations that HPV related tumors are clearly detailed in the data on our HPV connection off the main site

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Justin Offline OP
OP Offline

Brian, fair enough. Thank you for your time. I'm sorry if I offended anyone on here by making my condition (or lack of hopefully) seem horrible when I know most on here have seen and gone through much worse which I cannot even comapre to. I contribute this to my being a hypochondriac. Forgive me. Thank you though.

-Justin

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

You have offended no one, you have nothing to apologize for, and you can count on this group if you need them should you find this is something bad. They are an amazingly compassionate lot.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Justin....I will answer here, if only to perhaps help you get through the weekend. Of course, nobody can diagnose from a picture, and you know that. There are not many people on this wonderful forum who have had SCC on the palate, and I am one of them.

I realize that cancer can take all forms, and that there are other conditions in the mouth....even other cancers...that are not SCC and will present differently.

The palate is a bone, covered in a thin tissue layer, and that layer is composed of the same cells that cover many of our body cavities...squamous cells.

The bone underneath could certainly have been injured or insulted and produced some over-growth in reaction. The dark spot to me appears to be probably something vascular under the skin. Of course, I am not diagnosing.....I would not even comment if i didn' tknow that you already have an appointment, and if I didn't know that nothing I say will keep you from going.

I wanted to describe the appearance of my palatal cancer, and it looked nothing at all like your area of concern. Mine began at the gingival surface of my right maxilla, on the cheek side. I did not look early, but my dentist did and was not suspicious of the red, tender area. 6 months later, I complained of tenderness again, and he cauterized the area. I did not look then either.

Two months later, I felt an area on my palate, which, of course, is on the inside of the mouth....the lingual side of the maxilla. I did look then, and what I saw was frightening. It did not look horrible.....It was red, and a little raised, but still flat, with some small white and/or yellow spots. It had spread along the toothline on the cheek side, and had crossed onto the lingual side and spread in the other direction, and onto the hard palate, where it formed a roundish, flat-but-slightly-raised, reddened slightly spotted area. It did not look the same every day, but it never got better.

Your area of concern is, obviously, nothing like this. Squamous Cell Carcinoma is a cancer of the cells that line our cavities and organs....Your area of concern seems to come from below the skin of the palate.

That does not mean that it is not important...ANYthing that is not normal needs to be checked. And it does not mean that it isn't something other than SCC that might be equally important....and it doesn't mean that I know anything at all and that it could still be SCC.

But you asked about our experiences, and your spot doesn't look at like my spot.

Of course, you are going to go to the dentist on Tuesday. My advice: Ask him to have you return in a few weeks so that he can analyze whether or not it has changed. And make a plan with him for what you two will do if it has not improved. You have not noticed it before, and you don't want to forget about it again (fat chance, eh??)

But if I had had a return visit the first time I complained of my gum tenderness, I would have saved myself 8 months of allowing this SCC to grow in my mouth, and it might not have spread to my palate at all.

Keep us posted. Get into "neutral" over the weekend. Stay busy, and don't obsess about it. Three more days is not going to make a difference in the outcome.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
Justin Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Colleen. After Gary's, Brian's and now your reponse, I have relaxed my concerns a to a managable level. A night of rest helped me too. What I keep reminding myself is that it's looked like this for at least the last three months for sure and it hasn't changed. And from the feeling of my tongue, it hasn't changed feeling in years. Nor have I experienced any other symptom of Oral cancer, Thank God. I'm hoping for a good diagnosis on Tuesday. Hopefully the worse the dentist will tell me is I have a cavity, which I think I do. Thanks again everyone

-Justin

Justin Offline OP
OP Offline

As a quick follow up:

I went to my appointment today and met with the dentist. After an exam and x-rays, etc, etc, the dentist told me I have nothing to worry about. He said he didn't see anything in my mouth that was a cause for concern. He did say one of my tonsils is slightly inflammed but that is most likely due to my allergies I've had for two months now which cause me to have congestion and post nasal drip. Thanks for everyone's support and response on here. Good luck to everyone!

-Justin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320