Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2936 07-06-2004 04:26 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I made it to Vermont, where I will care for my sister Barbara for the next few weeks while she finishes 6 weeks of cysplatin chemo and radiation. The biggest worry I had was seeing her and her body and all the mutilations and disfigurments caused by her surgeries. Its done. We had some tears and held each other like little children. Her spirit is enormous, then I wonder if she is just not able to let go and be sick and let others care for her. She doesn't want to slow down, doesn't want to let us help her as much as she really needs us to help her. My biggest concern at this moment is the scaring on her arm, where they took the tissue to replace the tongue. It is the worst looking scaring I have ever seen. Also she leaves it open, unbandaged, and It seems so delicate, I worry that she will injure her arm, not having it wrapped or something ? She also is dealing with the Thrush right now, and didnt want to take anymore medicine for it. But we convinced her to, and also have some manuka honey coming from a friend in New Zealand to help combat mouth problems during the radiation. Her throat is becoming sore also. Yet no sores in the mouth. I'm not sure what to do to just simply comfort her. She likes to be touched and held. Yet she hurts all over. I sit next to her and rub her arm, and almost cuddle her ... for the first time in a long time, I feel like we are little girls now, sisters, not grown women 46 and 51. I so want her to get through this and be ok. Anyway ... I'm here and will be keeping you all posted as to how we are doing ... my introduction to the cancer center in Dartmouth, NH will be tomorrow. I'm praying a lot that it won't get much tougher for her. My heart tells me it most likely will get tougher, but I'm determined to keep her spirit strong...

Betty

Caregiver to Sister, Woodstock, VT - 3/4 tongue removed & reconstructed w/forearm 5/21/04, some in the lymph nodes, neck dissection, brachy radiation in the hospital and now going through 2nd round radiation and to add cysplatin chemo. Stage II-III.
#2937 07-06-2004 05:05 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Betty, your willingness to be there for your sister is sure to help and be of great comfort! Yes she should stay on top of the thrush, besides contributing to pain and sores, it can develop into more serious problems. Yes you should let her do what ever she is willing and able to do. Physical activity helps the mind and the body to heal (my opinion at least). Yes it probably will get somewhat worse for her but she will get through. Lastly, the appearance from the outside might be unsettling until you realize the beauty and positive changes on the inside that can happen.

Take care

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#2938 07-06-2004 06:39 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Betty you are an angel to take care of your sis like this. Praying for comfort, encouragement, strength, peace and joy for both of you. Keep up the good work...

Tongue cancer (SCC), diagnosed Oct. 2003 (T2 N0 M0). Surgery to remove tumor. IMRT Radiation 30x in Dec 2003 - Jan. 2004. Recurrence lymph node - radical neck dissection June 2004. Second round of rad/chemo treatments ended Sept. 2004.
#2939 07-06-2004 10:12 PM

Betty
Do what you feel is right.. I find that I need more comfort than I would ever of thought... But remember this take some time for yourself.. just a few minutes off somewhere for a coffee will do.. It is so important that the care giver takes special care of themselves too.
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
#2940 07-06-2004 11:51 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Betty,

I'm glad you made it to Vermont to be here for your sister. I'm sure she feels very comforted by your being there. If she's up to doing things for herself, let her. The road during radiation will most probably get rougher and the things she's doing now she may not want to do, say, 2 weeks from now. As for myself, when I'm nervous, scared, upset, etc., I always found cleaning the house a stress reliever so maybe her keeping busy is doing the same for her - relieving stress. Needless to say, while going thru treatments I cleaned the house a lot as much as my energy level would let me! I have a lot of scaring on my neck (both sides) and the muscle they took for my flap came from my stomach instead of my arm so it's not so visible but sure is ugly. But, hey, I don't care. I should hope that people love me for me - not for my physical appearance so don't let that get you or your sister down. Hang in there and keep us posted on how you're both doing. And as Helen said, take some time for yourself. You not only need it, but deserve it.

Hugs, Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03
#2941 07-07-2004 12:45 AM

Betty,

Now you have me looking at my arm, and you know what? It is hardly noticeable. My scar looked pretty bad for some time before it started to fade. They will not entirely disappear, but over time they will improve a great deal. Let her do as much for herself as she can, without overdoing. You can only be there for a short time and her being able to care for herself is a step toward normalcy and key to recovery.

Glenn

#2942 07-07-2004 01:36 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Betty,

I'm glad to hear you're there with your sister -- your presence can be a real comfort to her.

I agree with some of the others about letting her do what she's able to do for now. When I was going through radiation, I tried to keep up with some of the routine, everyday things to help take my mind off of the time I was spending in treatment.

Please see that she stays with the thrush medication -- I had some episodes with that that popped up almost overnight and needed to be dealt with aggressively.

You're right to expect that it will probably get tougher for her over the next couple of weeks, so it's good that you're there to help anticipate some of her needs.

Please stay in touch.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
#2943 07-07-2004 07:57 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Betty,

You sister is so fortunate to have you by her side right now, comforting her, hugging her! You are truly a special person for taking on this so important role right now. I know it must be quite a shock to see her like this as it is just as rough for her to be going through all she is right now. Your presence will do great things...for both of you.

You might want to take the time now before it gets a little rougher and sort of negotiate what your sister needs and wants right now. Let her determine (and communicate) what she wants to do and what she would like help with. Sometimes as things get a little rougher, tempers flare and in the case of my mother, we were all doting over her and she resented it because she thought we saw her as helpless. As a caregiver we always want to do so much but I have found it is so much easier to give than to receive. In my case, I reached out to some of my close friends at church and asked them to help me with my lawn. You can ask my wife, this is forbidden territory, usually. Four friends showed up every Saturday and cut my grass, trimmed, edged, etc., and I was so grateful.

I know this is so difficult right now and will perhaps get a little rougher. In time, though, things will get much better. I am praying for a quick recovery and continued healing.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
#2944 07-07-2004 02:46 PM
OP Offline

Hello All ...
YOur words and thoughts are a great comfort to me tonight. Yes, you are all right. I am learning quickly to wait for her to ask me what she wants. Today it was simple things that I did, without her knowing, like keeping bottles of water in the fridge for her and having them ready and waiting when we left for treatment and errands she had to run. Also, I prepared her protien drink. Also when we were sitting at the hospital after radiation and waiting to speak to the radiologist, I just rubbed the back of her neck and upper shoulders, she moaned with relief. She said "thank you so much honey." But, when I tried to help her tie her shoes, or help her with her dressing she quickly reminded me "I am not an invalid," so I moved on and let her be. I understand her needing to feel normality. We talked today about 5 years ago when I myself had unexpected lung surgery and I honestly could not move or do anything for myself for many many weeks, yet what she has gone so seems so much worse and she is UP and AT EM !! We were able to figure out that I could barely breath, therefore it held me back. But when I look at what she has been though, just the initial 15 hours of surgery, I am still in awe that she is doing anything at all !! We had good and bad today with the treatment. She is getting very hoarse, and almost cannot speak, which was her saving grace that she could speak, even though it is impeeded by the new tongue. She insists she is just talking too much, and the radiologist made her see that the effects of the radiation are starting. She did let me take her phone calls tonight and tell everyone what she wanted to say and her and I are starting to whisper only to each other and I am talking for her. She let me. Didn't complain. Also, she is eating so well on her own. Took someones advice on the forum and told her to use the chop stix and move the food back and forth. She is just doing it with her finger, and I am going to look for a good pair of chop stix for her. Tonight she had to have KFC, and mashed potatoes and cole slaw. She did wonderful. She is drinking so well also. Has lost about 22 lbs., but she is about 70 lbs. overweight, and the doctors are keeping a close eye on her nutrition. Tomorrow is chemo also with the radiation so it will be a full day at the hospital. Today, she pulled her hair up in a bun and I really got a good look at the neck scaring. Yes, it is a hard scar to look at, and her arm really bothers me, not so much because of the appearance, but because it looks painful. She assures me, she is ok. We went shopping after treatment, her request, and tonight she just wanted to take me riding around the beautiful countryside of Woodstock. She turned her music up loud and just directed me to drive. Then we sat and fed the trout in her pond out in front of her property. It was a good day for her, for us as sisters. Thank you all so much for your words of kindness and support. I also have all of you in my prayers ...

Lots of tender hugs.
Betty

Caregiver to Sister, Woodstock, VT - 3/4 tongue removed & reconstructed w/forearm 5/21/04, some in the lymph nodes, neck dissection, brachy radiation in the hospital and now going through 2nd round radiation and to add cysplatin chemo. Stage II-III.
#2945 07-08-2004 02:52 AM

Betty,

What a wonderful and touching story! I know how tough this must be for you, too, and how much you love your sister. It is so difficult to see someone we love so much go through such a rough time. I think Love is the greatest gift God gives us, even though it can sometimes be the most painful.

I am glad you are there with your sister and may God touch you every day in special ways as a reward for what you are doing. It looks like He did yesterday, for sure.

God Bless,

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021