Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

5 weeks ago my leg swelled up and I was hospitalized for a week with dvt or blot clot. The blot clot was high in my belly and was large in size. They put me on cumadin(blood thinner) and released me after a week. I went to my family doctor the very next week and complained of a swolen tonsil on the left side. There was no sore throat accompanied with it. He swapped my tonsil and checked it for strep. He said it would go away.

A week later my tonsil started bleeding and it wouldn't stop. I went to the emegency room and my cumadin level was too high. I went back to my family doctor and he sent me to a ENT. He scheduled me a surgery to remove the tonsil and biobsy it on 8/16. a pet scan 8/8 and told me that we would consult with the radiation department and chemo department for treatment.

I allways thought they needed to biopsy the tissue before the diagnoses.

I have had the pet scan but have not recieved the results. This comming week I will have the tonsil removed.

I am wondering if the DVT was caused by cancer. Has anyone else had any experience like this ?

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I've never known of the two being connected, but then again, I'm not a doctor. I would be sure to address any questions you have to the experts.

If you are in a situation where surgery is needed, regardless of the cause, they will often take the biopsy then. There is no need to put you through two separate procedures.

I hope this helps somewhat, and that everything you wish for comes true.

Love,
Mandi

Stage III tonsil, Dx 8/14/2002,chemo and rad...reoccurance 8/3/07,Base of Tongue,vocal cords,stage IVA,total larynectomy and glossectomy 9/4/07 with pec flap...reoccurance Nov. '08 and Feb. '09 (positive margins remained after each operation) Second pec flap May 7, 2009. Still positive margins.
OP Offline

Thanks for the reply.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Sam sorry to hear about your recent set of events.
DVT can on occasion cause swelling in other areas if a part of the clot breaks free and then clogs another vessel. For a portion of a clot to leave your leg, travel and pass through your liver and into the heart first time through the lungs back to the heart and then up the carotid artery and into the maxillary artery to your tonsil is one hell of a journey, possible but highly unlikely.
Like others have said stay the course, a biopsy is just that a biopsy...until they say it is cancer it's not...worry only weakens you and your immune system.

Talk to someone, laugh and smile and above all get some rest and Take care of you!!

e-mail me any time.

Sometimes the long climb is the most rewarding part of the journey, falling is easy. Get yourself to the top Sam.

Cheers
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Sam: Give us an update when you can. I'm sure everyone would like to know how you're doing, and if there is anything any of us can do to help you.

In the meantime, know that you are in our daily prayers.

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912