Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
August Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi, y'all. I shouldn't be writing when I have a check-up scheduled for Tuesday, but I am worried about a lymph node I have discovered on the same side as my surgery 19 months ago. I actually am concerned about two--one toward the back of my neck, and the one that I am the most concerned about, just under the angle of my mandibular joint. I have not felt it before. I have had some mild ear pain for a while.

I know that you can't diagnose it for me, but if you had nodal involvement show up a significant time after your surgery, please tell me how it appeared and what it was like and how it turned out.

I did not have radiation.

and I might be worrying about nothing. I am also quite stuffy and congested right now..and unfortunate complication in the diagnostic picture.....but I am not "sick"--just allergic, I think.....

I haven't even shared this with my husband yet....probably will before the day is out, but he has so much on his mind right now that I hate to add something else, especially when he can't diagnose it either. He'll go with me on Tuesday for my checkup, and I"ll show it to him before then, for sure. I'll probably give in long before then, so that he can share the worry. I don't know if that is kind or not. I am preoccuppied about it, so he might as well know why I am acting a little odd.

I love next door to an ENT...I might walk next door and have him feel my neck, just to see what he says. I'll keep you posted.

I just needed to share this with somebody, and you guys got chosen. Thanks for being there!

XO

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Colleen,

It could just be that your lymph nodes are working overtime to battle your allergies. To tell you not to worry is like to tell you not to breathe.

I think you should share your concerns with your husband. He would be more upset to find out after the fact that you tried to carry this on your own. Tuesday is only a few days away, but it can seem like an eternity when you are thinking that something could be wrong.

Please know that you are in my thoughts and I'm saying extra prayers for you this week.

Hugs,

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Colleen: Stay in touch and let us know your results! Good luck on Tuesday!

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Colleen,

My lymph nodes under my chin were swollen prior to my surgery and once removed - they were cancer free (They were about twice the normal size) however, I have bad allergies and both the surgeon and the rad onc that I saw for opinions attributed the hyperplasia of the nodes due to the allergies. So, you could have the same thing going on. I don't know about the ear pain - if the node was near the ear and swollen - I would think that might exert a little pressure and possibly that could also be attributed to the swollen nodes. Let's hope this is the case!

SCC Right Lateral Tongue T2N0M0 Dx 01/12/06, Surgery 01/25/06. Partial Glossectomy, Bilateral Neck Dissection - 22 lymph nodes - all clear. No radiation.
August Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, guys! I am feeling better about it. My husband felt them and didn't think they feel like malignant nodes. He is a urologist, however, and he admitted that he doesn't feel a lot of necks! I think they are smaller today. Maybe I am imagining it, or maybe I have smushed them down by trying to feel them. I go tomorrow, and I am not as upset as I was when I first came across them. I'll surely report back, though. Thanks for your concern and your good counsel.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
August Offline OP
OP Offline

One question I still have is this: If you had nodal metastasis after your surgery, how long afterward did it appear? My SCC was undiagnosed for a long time before my surgery, and that is why I had a neck dissection. I know that all nodes are not able to be removed in ND's, though, so I still want to be vigilant.

August Offline OP
OP Offline

Good News.....I had a good 18-month checkup today, and the nodes were determined to be reacting to my current allergic flare-up. They had shrunk significantly by the time of my checkup. On Friday, however, they were alarming, and I jumped to conclusions that I was in big trouble. This disease makes us jumpy, for good reason. But I was fortunate this time. Thanks for your concern and advice.

What great news!

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Colleen!

Fantastic news!!!I'm glad everything went well today.

Now go enjoy the rest of your week!

Hugs,

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics