Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
PeteyB Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

The two new bumps were tumors / enlarged nodes.

They ordered a "boost" of rad. in the two areas & chemo and later surgery to remove necrotic tumors.

They put two "objects" on the new bumps during Rad TX.

I guess they really nuked it good as my tongue is tingling, feel slight sun burn & dry mouth and the bump on the left side of the neck; right on the scar is visibly swollen and really hurts.

It is affecting head movement and almost to the point of needing meds.

Is this normal because of the boost or is this "A Bad Day at Black Rock?"

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07

Petey: I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this! Hopefully, you'll be feeling better very soon! I find it most helpful that you post your specific 'feelings' following your treatments, so that others can read and know something of what might be 'expected' vs. an uncommon symptom! Just curious, are the 'necrotic' tumors IN your nodes, near your nodes, where?

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
PeteyB Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Emmylou

The tumors are not necrotic yet. They are growing. They are hoping the rad & chemo will kill them.

In or near the nodes I have no idea. They removed 44 with 5 positive.

I have a bad feeling about this. It feels like they are bigger now than this morning and I have a hard spot right on the jaw bone that was not there this morning.

I am having my daughter take a picture in a minute. Then I will take one picture everyday to see facial changes. I told her I want to monitor the changes in my features through rad & chemo.

I have asked my wife not to mention the new tumors to our kids. No need for chaos and worry until I can not hide the fact if they keep growing.

My question, is this normal?

***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07

...Maybe it's just a response to the tx...I'm sure it has traumatized your body, and your body is now rebelling...I'll bet the swelling will subside shortly...my fingers (and toes) are crossed for you! I pray that you get some rest tonight!

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
PeteyB Offline OP
OP Offline

The new lump on the jaw bone almost doubled in a 3 1/2 hour period. Went to AA meeting on the beach in Palm Beach. (Partly cloudy / 87 degrees)

I was on the beach from 9:20 am to 10:40 am. I sat under an umbrella with a shirt over my head.

I took a dip in the water (76 degrees), 5 minutes tops

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Petey,

After just spending 5 hours at the hospital with my hubbie this Sunday, I came home to read up on current postings.

When we went through the diagnostic process, we were given an army of people to work with. In the beginning I collected more biz cards than I knew what to do with. Eventually, I typed up all my contacts on one page with a synopsis of who to call for what.

In each area (surgery, RT and chemo) we have a talented team consisting of a doctor, a nurse practicioner and a nurse. We have specific instructions on who to call for what type of symptoms.

During the week I can easily get a hold of anyone I need. Off hours, I have a triage number for each of the 3 areas that I can call with questions...or if any one of a specific lists of symptoms (from a list they gave me) develop I am required to call one of the triage lines.

The triage lines always gets me a call back from the appropriate doc on his team within minutes.

This morning's 7 a.m. call had to do with my husband's fever that was 102 degrees. We spent hours at the hospital. He had blood panels taken and was examined and tested for various things. And, even though there was an attending in the chemo area, our MO wanted us to stay until he could get to the hospital and look at my husband personally.

All in all, this goes down as the 3rd fluke-ish fever that they can not explain. But, they verified his blood panel was good and they checked for various infections...like strep. And, everything came back perfectly.

My husband did not enjoy going to the hospital on his day off, but we do have peace of mind that everything is ok.

Our docs take everything so seriously...night or day.

I understand why you would post here as getting other people's perspectives and reassurances are invaluable.

But, if it were me, in addition to posting here, I'd also have a phone call into one of the oncology triage lines if my husband had something that was doubling in size within the time frame you described.

One of the things that I learned is that even when they don't ask me to bring my husband in for an extra visit, they are better prepared to spend more time with Dan and do more tests on our next visit if I call ahead.

Do you have people on your medical staff who you can reach or who can be paged on the weekends?

Wishing you the best of care,

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Petey, it would be very unsusual for two rad treatments to cause you this many issues. Keep in mind that when you lose lymphnodes, things can get backed up in the neck/jaw area as the drainage system isn't working properly. Four years out I still will get some swelling along my neck and jaw if I'm in the heat for to long.

Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
PeteyB Offline OP
OP Offline

Minnie:

Thank You...I awoke this morning and the swelling receded by half, and that is encouraging to me.

Margaret:

Thank You for your support and concern.

I used to be well organized like you. Then I became an alcoholic. I have "pushed away" all the people that love me.

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

I was in deep depression before the cancer and no one understands that it is hard for me to even take a shower or make a can of soup. I have no caregiver. I eat when I am starved into it.

The cancer is scaring the heck out of me, but today, on my 51st birthday my main concern is for the well being of my immediate family who no longer love me and rightfully so.

I am being schooled a Harvard education in humility. Which, by the grace of God, is keeping me from that 1st "sucker drink" today.

Whether it be happenstance, karma, or fate the courts picked a lovely day for the summary judgment on my home.

I must work diligently today to assure that none in my family have bitter tears because of me.

The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.

It is I that must make the amends, to ensure this never happens.

Besides leaving them with nothing, I detest the thought of the above happening to them. The cancer is just an added befit of the consequences of alcoholism.

My wife asked me if there was something special I would like to do today. My reply was "die".

A punishment to some, to some a gift, and to many a favor.

Cheers, Petey

Petey: Would that we live closer than we do! You have caused me to cry my first tears of the day! I can relate to MUCH of what you're saying. As a recovering alcoholic myself, I too have alienated family members, including my oldest son who has absolutely been the light of my life for 38 years. I haven't had a drink in more than seven months. That is NOT to say that I haven't struggled these past few weeks particularly, just talking myself OUT of going to the ABC store! BEFORE I read your post, that old urging was surely trying to take over. The tears I'm sheding now are for you, also in relief for me, in that I'm sure I won't make that trip to the liquor store today. My constant prayers today are for you! Your courage is awe-inspring! Hang in there, friend!

T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Petey,

You're tearing my heart out! Please try not to be so negative and if you're really that depressed, ask the damned doctors for some anti-depressants and the name of a counselor!

You know, "things" come and go. Money comes and goes. People don't. You may perceive you're wife and kids as being pissed at you, and they very well may be! But you're here and by the grace of God, you're sober. Make your amends! The love of family is unconditional. It's not an emotion, it's a decision. Each one of us as married people has at some time or other, HAD to make the decision to love because our spouse was human, TOO human, and did something lousey, unfeeling, hurtful or damaging to the relationship. I'm taking it for granted that you're still in your relationship, which means you have opportunity to work on it. Sometimes these horrible things like cancer can actually draw people back together.

Is your wife in Al-Anon? If not, try to convince her to go. We love the sinner but despise the sin. That's normal. We're human. But the trick is to continually and unconditionally love the sinner.

If you feel like talking, or your wife feels like talking, my husband is a veteran of an anonymous group, I'm a veteran on an Anon group, and we're both a team couple of a marriage ministry that helps to heal troubled marriages and marriages on the brink of dissolving. I don't think I even have to mention that I was my Aunt's cancer buddy for more than four years.

And when all else fails.......... pray my friend. The good Lord is here and listening 24/7.
Go to a church, any church in the middle of the day when no one else is there. Scream, cry, plead, get it all out and then leave it there and start anew.

I have great faith in you. We all do. I know what you have accomplished thus far, and I have confidence in all you can accomplish, and so does He. Just ask Him for help. Let Him be your cancer buddy.

Hugs,
Lisa

Niece to Aunt Ro- Dx: 4/03. SCC Stg 4 BOT with mets to fl of mth & crvcl lymph node. AdenoC 1 sal gland. Two add. reconstrc. surgeries for adhesions. Recurrence 7/06- Sub-Mand AdenoC. Mets to both lungs. Lost her battle 5/4/07.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users