Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#27621 07-16-2005 06:37 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

... I am pretty concerned about what is going on with my mouth and while some might call me a Hypochondriac (and believe me I hope thats all I am right now) I think my fears are justified and the advice and support Ive received thus far from this terrific community has been helpful. However for a site that preaches the importance of early detection and the frequency with which this disease is missed and MIS-diagnosed, it sure doesnt take a very tolerant stance to those who are jumping through hoops trying to discover the root of a problem that very well could be dangerous, especially without an explanation.

I also noticed the other fellow who seems to be in a similar position had his thread closed as well. Another board I posted on for a short while and still participate in occasionally (first because of previous fears related to my Lupus and later as a helper for others seeking advice)used to have a slew of persons coming in everyday with wild and sometimes completely irrational fears over exposures they thought were possibly dangerous and while sometimes we felt like kicking them right in the behind, it was understood that if people who had a genuine fear and concern of a given condition were simply turned away, however outrageous their fears might have been, it would in the end be detrimental to even the one or two people who might have had a genuine cause for concern.

I've recommended this site on a couple of occasions very emphatically. Sadly, I would have to reconsider doing so again at this point.

Ian.

#27622 07-16-2005 07:43 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

The other guy was a wack job - you really want to put yourself in his league? This is a public forum and it can be difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff at times. The fact remains that periodically some devious people come here to suck the resources away from the "real' cancer patients/caregivers and judgement calls must be made (I am speaking for myself, not Brian).

We are a very compassionate group and go to great lengths and personal sacrifice to help others. Do you really think it's easy to continually dredge up old fears and feelings by the members of this board? Do you really think I like having the spectre of my immortality handed to me practically every time I scan the boards? And then there are these little weasels out there that feign illness for some kind of sympathy or pychosis.

This is one of the best cancer forums on the internet and you're not recommending us is a diservice to those other people in need.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#27623 07-16-2005 08:38 PM
OP Offline

Sure, I agree with you 100 percent, the afore-mentioned person does seem like a whack-job. In fact, I tried to throw a little sense to him myself before his thread got closed, but I've just learned it isnt my place to make those judgements based on things I have witnessed in the past.

I do respect the contributions of the members of this site and it certainly is not my intent to stir up any old feelings or hurt or otherwise cause grief to anyone in anyway. I dont really have an answer to that so much as to say that the same goes for any board related to a serious health condition that at the same time attempts to make an effort to raise awareness and assist new members in the determination of whether they might be afflicted by the given condition. This was a real problem at the other board I mentioned, and I myself felt bad for those suffering the disease that had the heart to respond to the crazies who would not accept reality over there.

Another thing, being 22 years old really puts an entirely different spin on things for something of this nature. With everything thats happened to me over the past year and a half, Id consider myself pretty happy to make it to even 55 years old. Ive been alive just long enough to know the good in life, but not to enjoy it, and thats a really hard thing to have to deal with on your own.

Obviously, if I come across someone truly in need, particularly someone with a recent diagnosis or otherwise dealing with the disease, Im not going to give it a seconds worth of thought before I send them right over here. But someone who mirrored my situation would take a little more thought.

#27624 07-16-2005 08:44 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I still come here all the time and read the posts,and would reccomend this site to amyone as it is probably the best one I know of even if some of the responses didn't seem to be warm and fuzzy.
I just figure that when I find out what is happening to me, if it should turn out to be the big C, then this is the first place I would turn to for advice. I think what can cause problems is the vaugness and variety of symptoms that oral cancer can have. Also there are alot of stories about people who go undiagnosed for months even while seeing doctors,even ENT's. I think this board is mainly about support for people who actually have this disease and not really meant for people who are scared they might have it and are seeking more accurate descriptions of symptoms and opinions on likelyhood of diagnosis or misdiagnosis. smile
Regardless, there are some very awesome people here and not to reccomend this site would be a BIG disservice to someone that needs help.
This is a great site and these folks have been through ALOT.
That wack job thing...Gary might be talking about me too lol.

#27625 07-17-2005 02:40 AM

I agree with you that being 22 puts a different spin on things. I was 29 when I was diagnosed with cancer. (I just turned 30) We are WAY to young to think about death.
I understand your worry. Get a second opinion. You are correct, sometimes doctors miss things.
This group has been so supportive to me. This is the only place I can go where people understand what I have been through. So many people here have been through so much. I would give almost anything to erase the past few months, to have never had to deal with any of this. I think that everyone on this board feels the same way. Get the second opinion, and then put all of this behind you.

Mucoepidermoid carcinoma-intermediate grade. Removed 3/05. Additional surgery to get clean margins and selective neck dissection 4/05. 30 lymph nodes removed. All clear!!
#27626 07-17-2005 04:17 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

For what it's worth, this board is the best I've ever found on the net.

It is virtually open to anyone. You can dialogue basically unrestrained and uncensored (unless you break the rules), and there are people here that are selfless, and careing about fellow human bengs that they have never even met.

Nothing compares.

I am looking forward to the time when I can be more of a "giver" than a "taker" from this forum.

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.
#27627 07-17-2005 04:22 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Ian. My prayers are with you. May you have peace of mind and comfort and a long productive, wonderful life.

May God enlighten you,
Barb~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#27628 07-17-2005 08:36 AM
OP Offline

Thanks to all of you for your support. Once again I did not mean for my problem and worry to cause grief or otherwise bother anyone here, and I sincerely apologize if I have done so.

I admittedly am a person who is not content to let sleeping dogs lie. I HAVE to research anything I like, want or am going through fervently, and in the case of diseases, that ends up doing more than harm for me then good.

An example, I am concerned because this thing is apparently on my Tonsillar Pillar right? Ive been somewhat comforted by the fact that as long as this has been going on now I havent developed any palpable swollen lymph nodes, and I get so frustrated because it seems like the information I find is purposely put there to destroy any hope I have. I read that if it begins in the Tonsillar pillar, its UNlikely to manifest in the lymph nodes. These are the kind of things that make me concerned, and I just feel the need to discuss them to prevent myself from going nuts.

Thanks again everyone.

#27629 07-17-2005 01:55 PM

Ian,
It is normal for lymph nodes to become swollen when there is an infection nearby - that's their job. You could very well have peritonsillar abcess (PTA) which responds very poorly to antibiotics and takes a long time to get better. There are many conditions it could be other than cancer. If your pathology came back negative and/or no biopsy was performed because there is no ROI (region of interest) then you should be home free.

I went back and read your original post - I never had bad breath due to the cancer but an infection will sure cause it.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#27630 07-17-2005 02:50 PM
OP Offline

Gary you are a good guy, thanks for taking the time to respond, you really really could never say a word to me again and Id still appreciate the help youve given me already.

You are also very observant, I had completely forgotten I even mentioned the breath problems. However, I HAVENT had any pathology reports at all. All I got was a thorough visual inspection by the ENT that probably wasnt much more thorough then the one a trained dentist would give you. As far as the Lymph nodes, I think we got our wires crossed there. My point was that I HAVENT had any swelling that I can feel yet (and Im constanly feeling there) and I thought that was a GOOD thing... What I read later basically said that Tonsillar Pillar primaries would be the least likely to cause lymph node involvement anyway, so my solice found in not having any is basically nil.

Moreover, he didnt even think the tonsils were THAT big but uhh... they are about the size of a marble at least. I know that most of the time when I talk I have that "hot potato" feeling to my voice (yes I read that on a medical site too smile ), Not sure how else to describe it but it doesnt feel normal when I talk.

By far the most disturbing problem Im having is my right ear ringing and feeling "closed up" or clogged but theres nothing there (he looked in my ears as well)! Sometimes it hurts a little too. I know a few of you guys mentioned having some of this after your diagnosis as well and it is driving me up a wall.

Its just hard because everything associated with these symptoms points to the worst and now I will have to wait for yet another appointment to have this biopsy done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users