Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Wish I wasn't making this post, but here it is. My Mom, after having a portion of her tongue removed and all lymph nodes on that side one year ago, is awaiting the results of yet another biopsy of her tongue. She has suffered many bouts of aspiration pneumonia in the past year due to a swallowing problem as a result of her surgery and was just recently referred to a speech therapist who inadvertently found the spots under her tongue. We saw her oncologist last Wednesday and he did a biopsy. Today is Tuesday and I called his office and they were to call me back and never did. I would think that a week is enough time to get the results! We are on pins and needles about this. This is supposed to one of the finest hospitals in Philadelphia and I can't believe it takes this long to get results. Sorry if I sound like I'm whining, but I am irritated with this doctor anyhow. He never recommended speech therapy to my Mom after her surgery, and if he had, they would have found the swallowing problem and maybe saved her from the recurring pneumonia. She is going to be 86 in Sept. and has already decided that should the biopsy results be positive for cancer again, she is doing nothing. No further surgery, radiation, no treatment whatsoever. This past year has been so hard on her and I don't think she could withstand any further treatment. Knowing the results, whether positive or negative, will be better than sitting her chewing our nails. If negative we can give a sigh of relief and if positive then we will know what we are facing and make the best of the time left. Quality of life to both of us is much more important than quantity. I'm angry tonight and needed a sounding board. Need prayers too.
Thanks,
Margie

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dear Marjorie,

Waiting is so hard. I would keep calling tomorrow, until you get an answer. You're mother's decision, is certainly understandable, but maybe she'll have a change of heart if, unfortunately, the news is bad.

Was wondering what hospital you are using, as I was at Fox Chase, myself.

This is always a good place to sound off. Let's hope you won't need to again and the biopsy will be negative. My prayers are with you and your mother.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
OP Offline

Thanks Jerry, for your prayers and support. The hospital is University of PA. The surgeon did an excellent job on the surgery, however he severely lacks any acceptable bedside manner. Also, was not happy with the care she got in the hospital from other staff members. Just recently she was in a local hospital for pneumonia and I couldn't believe the excellent care. I will call tomorrow and will not stop til I get an answer.

Thanks again for your prayers and congratulations on your recovery. My prayers are with you for your continuing good health.

Margie

P.S. You live just around the corner from us, we're in Burlington, NJ.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Margie,

Totally unacceptable to wait a week for a biospy report. One thing I found out is the medical profession is nothing more than people like you and I. Human beings that are by no means perfect. There are many good and caring professionals but it only takes a few bad ones to make them all look bad at times.

I completly understand your Moms decision to forgo any treatment if she indeed has a positive biospy. The quality of life issues are huge. I can't imagine being 86 and going thru this treatment again. Whatever happens I hope and pray you can spend some quality time with your Mom. She has raised a caring and loving daughter. It leaps off the page as I read your posting.

All my Best, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Hi Margie,
I also had my surgery at HUP in 2001 and found the surgeon marvelous. Original surgey in 1997 done in Trenton, but radiation and all follow up at HUP since 1997 in Phila. You have to call the doctor's nurse or secretary if you are not getting the answers you need. Demand to get the results of the biopsy. I had a swallow test last Friday and the nurse gave me the results over the phone on Monday and faxed them to me. A biospy may take longer than a few days but they should be able to tell if the results are back.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Hi Margie,

Yes just across the Burlington Bristol Bridge and up a little north.

Hope you got some answers today.

My surgeon was also lacking in the bedside manner department. How difficult is it to try to be compassionate and professional at the same time? I KNOW it isn't difficult. That's how I run my practice. Fortunately, at Fox Chase, the support staff is wonderful and I deal with them alot more than the surgeon.

Hoping to hear some good news from you.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users