Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#27305 04-06-2005 10:38 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Dear Flubby43,

Just wanted to say thanks for the mouth products info. My husband is almost 5 months post radiation, and the dry mouth really gets to him, especially at night. After I read your post I called him and told him about it. He was very happy to hear he may get some relief at night and be able to sleep a little longer than 2 hours at a time! Although he's not complaining, he's alive and that's all that matters. Thanks again!

Shelley

Caregiver to husband, Ron. Throat cancer, Stage II. No Chemo or Surgery. Completed 35 Radiation Treatments in November 2004.
#27306 04-06-2005 03:12 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

I'm still living with dry mouth to some extent, but it's become manageable with a combination of different products and routines. (I had general field radiation at a time when there wasn't much available to try to preserve salivary function.)

I've been on Salagen (3 doses a day) for about 14 years now, and I know some people don't seem to find it helpful, but I really notice if I miss a dose. For almost a year now I've also been using the Biotene mouthwash and gel, which seems to boost the effects of the Salagen a bit. At night, I've found if I sleep on my back my mouth dries out terribly, so I have to sleep on one side or the other to try to keep any sort of saliva flow. Also, I have to keep my head somewhat elevated all night with two fairly substantial pillows. During the day, I can get by with occasional drinks of water, and some sugarless gum.

Over time, the dryness has become just a minor annoyance that I can put up with, because it doesn't interfere too much with eating, sleeping, talking, or singing, as long as I take a few precautions.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
#27307 04-07-2005 05:44 AM

I was on Salagen for quite some time after my surgery but it just didn't seem to make a difference altho my Dr said it would make me sweat a lot...it didn't. I like the over the counter stuff and BIOTENE is great too. Whatever works....USE IT!!!!! We just have to get creative now. I, too, sleep at short intervals at nite and I know it is the dry mouth and the water I have to drink..lots of "potty" breaks so I see a lot of TV at night. I guess I could get a job taking care of a newborn being up half the night....lol. Make the most of the new "you" and teach others how they may cope and enjoy the rest of their lives. Take care..Flo

#27308 04-07-2005 04:20 PM

For those of you with the problem of dry mouth at night. Try a warm air dehumidifier next to your bed at night. It made a world of difference for me. I went from feeling like I had a sock in my mouth to being able to sleep fairly comfortable. Of course I had to place it on the nightstand right next to the bed but it helped!

Good Luck!
Carol

#27309 04-08-2005 12:16 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thnaks guys for all the info. Just wanted to let you know that Rod is moving up his appointment with his ENT just for peace of mind. He wasn't sched to go back until May but because of the sore throat issues, he will go next Wed. Pray for a good report. From what you all are saying it does seem like his mouth is just very, very dry. He buys all these products & doesn't give them a chance. He is very impatient and wants this fixed now. The doc told him he got very little saliva back & that might be all he will ever get. frown I know it's not me going through this so I try not to be hard on him but I think considering... well, this is a small price to pay. Thanks for all the help again! God bless! Maureen

maureen (friend to Rod SCC tonsil diag. Mar 04 stage 4 -concurrent rad. & chemo) Finished tx July 04
#27310 04-24-2005 03:00 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi guys just an update! Rod had his doctors appointment on April 20. Good news! Doc did an exam with the scope & said he looks great! Tissue looks good and he gained a few pounds, is up to 131 lbs. smile I am pretty happy about it! His next doctors appointment will be July so that will be one year! God willing all will go well. The doc didn't mention a pet scan or anything though, is it normal not to have one in the first year after tx?HIs last one was November 04. Thanks guys & God bless! Maureen

maureen (friend to Rod SCC tonsil diag. Mar 04 stage 4 -concurrent rad. & chemo) Finished tx July 04
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users