Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I have not yet been actually diagnosed - But I am seeing a Maxillaryfacial (or whatever) surgeon on Monday. If you were to take the pictures of the lesion or "un-healing sore" I've had in my mouth for over a month now w/exposed bone or bony material.. it looks EXACTLY like many of the example photos on the web of a squamous cell mouth cancer lesion. The sore is on the inside right lower jaw near where my right lower wisdom tooth would've been had the Navy not yanked 'em when I was 17.

I also overheard the dentist's speaking to another dentist about me(I heard my name with it) and say something to the dentist about it looking just like cancer as I was walking to the bathroom to pee and the one dentist gave the other a mean look when they noticed me walking by!

I already did the oral rinse(Peridex) for two weeks and it still has'nt healed. So I'm kinda freaked and my Lymph nodes on that side are noticably swollen, and have been. It's a small sore, only maybe 1/8" x 1/8"...I know I know...Its not cancer 'til the fat lady sings. But I am scared...Not so much for me...or of death, but for my wife, She is ALL that matters to me in the world besides God and my son. I cannot bear thinking of her sadness and her grief if this is what it looks like. I almost will feel guilty in some strange way if this does turn out to be cancerous.

I just had to vent some emotion on this. right now I am crying my eyes outta my head while typing this.

I will post again when I get an actual diagnosis. Until then I'm gonna try to not be so scared. I hope I dont leave this world alot sooner than planned...I was just gettin' started! I've only been married for 3 years and I wan't more for my wife....my one true love... Linda.

daniel. Please dont alarm yourself . It is very scary waiting for results, it is the fear of the unknown. I hope that all is okay for you and it comes back non cancerous. In the meantime. try to relax and not worry so much. easy to say for me... I too worried my self sick awaiting results for my husband. One thing that I realized is that we are only dealt one hand of cards and we have to just deal with it, as hard as it may get. dont get to caught up in the what if's. Take it one day at a time. You sound like such an unselfish man your wife is very lucky to have you, and you lucky to have her. Things will be okay no matter what the results. Try to keep good spirits and keep loving each other that is what is helping me and dave through this. I hope the best for you and your family.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Daniel,
It is very scary waiting for diagnosis. You will cry and feel tons of fear, what you are feeling is normal. If, and I mean IF, you are diagnosed with cancer then you can put on your fighters hat and beat it.
I pray it won't be cancer but if it is you will have us here for support.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Daniel,
You're welcome to vent here anytime you want. That dentists sounds like a real winner <hear the sarcasm?> We've all been there, whether awaiting an initial diagnosis or having follow-up scares. Unless you prefer insanity, you have to squelch the fear as much as possible and say "it's not something until I'm told it's something". Even if that news does come, we'll get you through treatment. Treatment isn't a Disney attraction, but it did change my life for the better. There are still positives to the most difficult challenges in our lives.

Sabrina

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Daniel
We know how scared you are right now and you have every right to be so. But,the fat lady just MIGHT NOT sing for you!
Lots of positive vibes coming your way.
Keep your chin up and let us know how you get on.
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
OP Offline

Thanks everyone...It is hell but I'm maintaining very well. Right now I'm just trying to stay busy and keep my chin up! (no pun intended!)

At least I can go to the V.A. hospital in Milwaukee ( FOR FREE I HOPE ) if I do find out I have this nasty disease. I already get my asthma meds there for a $7.00 co-pay. BTW...they do have a comprehensive cancer care center there.

Been getting more pain lately in my jaw, ear, and throat but the Ulcer or whatever it is is just staying the same pretty much.

I'm already begining to face some hard truths and facts if this nightmare comes true. Again...I am not afraid to die, but I will die trying to kick the shit outta this cancer if thats what it is. If not...I AM AWARE....And I will always look at life in a different light...

Quick question. Will an Oral Maxilliofacial Surgeon do a Biopsy or whatever to find out what is wrong? Or should I just by-pass that step and go to the V.A. cancer care center? Again Thank you all for your thoughts and prayer. I'll keep in touch.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Daniel,

I am sorry to see the anguish you are dealing with right now. Many of us have faced what you are and some have actually learned it is nothing. I will certainly pray for you that it is not cancer.

Relax, enjoy every moment. I can guarentee right now and until they can prove absolutely positively that you have cancer, you are considered cancer free!! Do not waste any time worrying about what something could be, if at all possible.

Check your life insurance just in case. I let mine lapse just weeks before my diagnosis because I was going to pick some up cheaper through work. Now I have had the diagnosis, I am still uninsurable.

I will pray for God to provide you with comfort and peace and many years with the love of your life. You are very fortunate to have found her. Many people spend a lifetime looking and you have been truly blessed!! May your blessings abound.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Daniel
Our thoughts are with you and your family, have faith, pray hard, and try and keep yourself busy.
All the best
Sammie & Richard

C/G to Husband Richard SCC Op 4/1/2005 T2N0M0,Neck disection, 35% of tongue removed.
Reoccurance 3/2007,Lymph Node same side Positive SCC, Swelled to 2.5 inches. IMRT X35 Cis X3 Completed 33 IMRT Cis x2 carbo X1 MET to lungs post treatment 10/04/2007
Passed peacefully 31st July 2008.

Daniel, a biopsy would be quick, relatively painless and give you the facts while you are waiting to get into a cancer center. (May ease your worried mind) Some people attribute cancer to stress, myself included, so please try some relaxation techniques and taking your mind off your fears. Praying for a negative biopsy and some peace of mind for you and yours. Mine WAS scc (diagnosed in Jan 2004) and it took 2 surgeries, biopsies, and a couple of scares (and one heck of a good dentist)to get into a major cancer center here by next month,May 17th! Be proactive is what I am getting at, and listen to this gang, they are great support! Good luck to you.
Maria

01/04 SCC of tongue base, T1N0M0
03/04 Partial glossectomy
04/04 Rad
12/04 Throidectomy(follicular cancer)

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260