Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#26766 10-02-2004 03:40 AM
Amy Offline OP
OP Offline

Last Friday the doctor told my father that for him, the feeding tube was a necessity. I think his appointment is October 4th..but I don't really see a need for it yet.
My father's mouth is finally better since the surgery/tooth extractions, and he's actually almost able to enjoy food now. Where was the doctor with this decision when my dad couldn't eat? Oh sure, wait until he's able to eat, then drop this bomb on him.
I think besides the "Chemo-Room", this feeding tube idea is scaring the hell out of him. He purposely missed a Dr.'s appointment on Wednesday, and proceeded to drink beers.

So here comes my question. Is it okay for my dad to be drinking beers? I'm not talking about excessively or anything, he had like 2 or 3. I think that if he can drink them, and they are full of calories, more power to him! ( In moderation of course )

Also, this feeding tube thing is REALLY new to me, so any recipes, helpful medications, anything would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.
<3

Amy confused

#26767 10-02-2004 05:42 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Amy: Since alcohol is implicated as a caustive factor of oral cancer,either by itself or in combination with smoking, I would think that drinking any alcohol would be a bad idea, especially during treatment.

It sounds like he is using the alcohol as a coping mechanism to deal w/anxiety. I think this is something that should be discussed with his doctors. If he won't or can't discuss it with them, you should. There are other ways to deal with anxiety, including walking (exercise), talking (therapist, friends), meds, meditation, etc. Good luck! Candace

sister to man w/base of tongue cancer, stage IV, Dx 4/03, finished Tx 9/03. 12 clear exams so far.

Sister of guy w/base of tongue cancer, Stage IV, Dx 4/03, finished Tx 9/03
#26768 10-02-2004 07:15 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Amy
Well I'm going to sit on the fence about this one, tonight I'm enjoying my first glass of red wine (YES, for those who know me it is the first) since my operation, and everyone I have talked to seems to agree, spirts no, but moderation of beer or wine should be no problem, although I would add not if any area of the mouth is still sore. With regard to the feeding tube, listen to the Docs, my peg is due to come out on the 14th of Oct but I could not have managed without it, it's not a big deal, ask the Docs why now?
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
#26769 10-02-2004 03:09 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Amy,

You don't state and I don't remember, if you posted it before, what stage of treatment your father is in. Is he about to start radiation? Does he have open sores in his mouth that need to heal before he starts?

Personally I'm with Helen. I drank beer or wine between my neck dissection and starting radiation 8 weeks later, but I also had no surgery in the mouth. Beer was also the first alcohol I could drink aftr radiation. If he is keeping it in moderation I don't see a problem. Ask his doc. But guaranteed after about 9 radiation treatments, he won't be able to drink it for until several weeks, many months after treatment.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#26770 10-02-2004 07:38 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Amy,

I'm of the opinion that most things, in moderation, are O.K. I used to chew Skoal and pretty much did it from sunrise to sunset, there was no moderation to my usage. That was an addiction that caused me much pain. I also did and do continue to enjoy beer and red wine (Cabernet)in moderation. If I abuse alcohol like I did Tobacco, I'm asking for trouble. A couple of weeks ago I saw an article that moderate consumption of beer is good for you, I'm sure we've all seen studies that say red wine is good for you. The key is moderation. The overwhelming truth is that alcohol has way more negative impacts on individuals and society than positive. As in all things, personal responsibility is the key.

Stage I diagnosed 9/18/2000

Dave
#26771 10-03-2004 03:14 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Amy,

My ENT oncologist asked me at my first visit if I drank much. I said "Only foo foo drinks on cruises, occaisional beer." His response was "Then you won't miss it much." I still drink my foo foo drinks (virgin) and my beer is O'Douls.

Sincerely,
Lisa

Lisa
SCC of Tongue Stage 1 (T1,N0,M0)
partial glossectomy,modified neck dissection 4/14/03
#26772 10-03-2004 11:46 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

The whole beer thing winds up being a definate "it depends" If he's using it as a coping mechanism and it's 3-4 a sitting, that's not good. However, the nutrition hand out the oncology department of my hospital gave me mentions that a Guiness a day is good for building up nutrients and helping to keep weight on. Also mentions that it helps to stimulate the salivary glands and suggests it with a meal.

My wife limits me to one pint a week, I can have with once a week beef curry (she's strict!) I find the pilsners/lagers such as Budweiser tend to sting somewhat and if I were to do any social drinking irritate the already scorched areas of my tongue.
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#26773 10-03-2004 12:40 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Amy, your Dad is entering into some of the most difficult parts of the treatment for cancer, radiation. At least it was the worst for me, anyhow. I had a peg (feeding tube) and recommend it for everyone. If he is to start radiation soon, he should get the peg. I lost 50 pounds, 1/4 of my body weight, with the peg. As I couldn't swallow at all or even talk toward the end of treatment, I would have shrunk down to nothing without the peg. Besides, the meds go down a lot easier through the tube than orally after a tonsilectomy.

As far as drinking goes, if he is going to start radiation, let him drink all that he wants. The calories will do him good and after radiation, he may not be able to stand drinking beer, or any other alcohol. I used to drink scotch, wine and beer before treatment, now I can't stand the taste of any of it. I keep trying, but it tastes so bad that I can't force myself to drink anything.

The peg is no big deal as far as getting it in and using it. Sometimes it clogs up and a little Pepsi or baking soda and some patience takes care of that. Removal is even less of an issue. The main thing is to keep the site clean and protected for the first couple of weeks. After that, showering is no big deal or any other activity. I even went swimming with it a few times. He and you will be in my prayers to get through the next stages of his treatments. Bless you for helping to care for him.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
#26774 10-03-2004 02:41 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Amy,
I don't know if your dad should be drinking beer, I suspect it doesn't make a big difference before starting radiation. But missing a doctor's appointment to do so seems more important.
I had surgery and my mouth started to heal before I was told I needed radiation. I refused a feeding tube at the start, thinking however bad the radiation would be, I'd rather tough it out than have a tube. Turned out I needed to have the tube installed after about 41/2 weeks of radiation which was much more painful and unpleasant than doing it beforehand would have been.
The side effects of radiation make the mouth so sore and inhibit the ability to swallow that a feeding tube can make a huge difference in being able to stay well hydrated and fed. As many on the forum have indicated, it is not really a big deal and it makes things so much easier when the radiation side effects really build up.
Perhaps your Dad could post directly to this forum and hear first-hand from those of us who've had a peg and appreciated how useful it turned out to me.
One of the more unpleasant side effects of radiation is the thick mucous that it creates. Taking Robitussin via the feeding tube (don't take it orally) had help to thin the mucous and make it easier to cough up.
Best wishes and good luck with your dad's treatments. - Sheldon

Dx 1/29/04, SCC, T2N0M0
Tx 2/12/04 Surgery, 4/15/04 66 Gy. radiation (36 sessions)
Dx 3/15/2016, SCC, pT1NX
Tx 3/29/16 Surgery
#26775 10-04-2004 05:08 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Achohol is one of the causes of this disease.
Moderation smoderation. If you continue to drink it aint good. Period. Especially if you got it from long term use. And drinking during treatment kinda defeats the whole purpose.

SCC 1.6cm Right Tonsil 10/3/03, 1 Node 3cm, T1N2AM0, Tonsil Removed, Selective Neck Disection, 4 Wks Induction Chemo (Taxol,Cisplatin), 8 Weeks Chemo/Radiation (5FU,Hydroxyurea,Iressa), IMRT x 40, Treatment Complete 2/13/04.
41 Years Old At Diagnosis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916