Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2626 06-02-2004 05:38 PM
Mark Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

Ok, I don't want any flack for admitting that I watch Queer Eye for the Straight Guy,

However last night the show had an 80 year old grandfather visit the subject's apartment. THE NEAT thing was his visable radical neck scar and clear indication that he was a survivor at 80! laugh

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#2627 06-02-2004 06:32 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Ok, no flack from here, wondering how to get Thom Filicia over here to do the interior design on my new apartment.

We get the episodes a couple of weeks later over here I think, what episode? Neat the gentleman did ok at his age.

And yes, since I started watching the show I have started using "skin care products" and everyone says I look better then before the cancer battle started. Go figure.

The new name is "metrosexual" straight guys that pay attention to fashion, culture, etc.

Yet another label victim
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#2628 06-03-2004 12:19 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

You guys crack me up!!!

Lynn

Stage 3, N0, M0 oral tongue cancer survivor, 85-90% of tongue removed, neck disection, left tonsil removed, chemo/radiation treatments, surgery 11/03, raditation ended 1/04, lung mets discovered 4/04,
#2629 06-03-2004 01:50 PM
JAD Offline

The episode that Mark referred to is the one with twins, Brendon & David Bravo I believe. I am also addicted to watching the Fab 5! I also noticed the scars and wondered at the time if I would have noticed before my diagnosis (most likely wouldn't have known what it was). Amazing how much you notice these now huh?

#2630 06-03-2004 03:56 PM

I admit my wife and I watch the show and think the gays are some really decent prople. Who are we do Judge? They could certainly help me with my wardrobe! I'm a blue jean and t-shirt kind of guy.

Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#2631 06-03-2004 04:44 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Hey don't knock the jeans and T shirts!!!! Around my place that is the uniform of the day. However, my tux is coming out of the closet for the first time in years to attend the Women in Film event with Blythe Danner and daughter in a couple of weeks.....Yee Gads! I thought those days were over! Now I've got to buy a new damn shirt to go with it that is a couple of neck sizes smaller....... a shirt I might add I probably won't wear again. ( And I thought I was done paying for that neck dissection.)

But there is nothing like a soft, beat up old pair of Levi's and a T. I absolutely will not part with a 10 year old black T-shirt that I wore during my serious Harley days.... on the back it says: Caution; does not play well with others. That shirt and a pair of 501's with enough engine oil and grime on the legs that they could stand up in the corner by themselves, are all that is left of my rebel youth..... How life does change.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#2632 06-03-2004 05:40 PM
Mark Offline OP
OP Offline

JAD, I believe you are correct, all I remember is that they were all decended from grandpa, and he emmigrated from Italy. You point about noticing is also true. I look at peoples' necks all the time now.

Brian I was reading along normally until I got to "a couple of sizes smaller" (shirt neck size) I too cracked up because I had get rid of several shirts that were "too big" post treatment. Damn the cost of this disease just keeps on going up! maybe we can charge the wardrobe change off as a medical expense? wink

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#2633 06-05-2004 09:03 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

WooHoo..we have a bunch of fashion plates in our club...I am so impressed..lol
Brian are you going to meet daughter Gwynneth??
Talk about a High Profile Spokeswoman...I am sure you could charm her into that! Have fun.
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
#2634 06-05-2004 12:09 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Indeed, both Blythe and Gwyneth will be there that night. Blythe and I had lunch together a few weeks ago, and she is going to be filming our next Public Service Announcement for TV with the foundation in July. While she is donating her time, it is still an expensive proposition for the foundation.

I am way out of my league with this group of people, but their celebrity brings so much clout with it that when they sneeze it ends up in the papers and elsewhere. Celebrity spokespeople are a necessary tool for us to get our message out. I found Ms. Danner to be just like Jack Klugman, who I now have a fledgling personal relationship with after he filmed our first PSA due to hit TV in July. They are both just real people who have the same concerns, problems, and ups and downs as the rest of us. The fact that they are willing to loan their celebrity to the foundation for nothing speaks very highly of them as human beings. I'm not a person who follows stars and their films, lives etc. very much, so I really didn't know how different their world is from ours when it comes to being in public. But privately those that I have met and talked with seem to just be great people with no agenda or "Celebrity BS" attached to them. And yes, Gwyneth is at the top of the

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#2635 06-06-2004 09:56 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear Brian,
Please let us all know when the "Women in Film" event will be and what network will be covering it. I'm sure it will be aired live on TV and we'd all love to see you- especially if you get to walk the red carpet! Both Ms. Danner and Ms. Paltrow/Mrs. Martin should be in very good spirits since Ms. Danner is a new first time Grandma and Ms. Paltrow is the new Mom of Apple Blythe Alison Martin, born on May 6th (my wedding anniversary, so that was east to remember). Combining business with pleasure sure makes the business end of things alot easier to handle. Have a ball. I hope your lovely wife will be attending too and I hope she looks drop dead gorgeous! Keep us informed.

Niece to Aunt Ro- Dx: 4/03. SCC Stg 4 BOT with mets to fl of mth & crvcl lymph node. AdenoC 1 sal gland. Two add. reconstrc. surgeries for adhesions. Recurrence 7/06- Sub-Mand AdenoC. Mets to both lungs. Lost her battle 5/4/07.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics