Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26271 04-07-2004 06:11 AM
OP Offline

hI i USED THIS FORUM A FEW TIMES DURING RADIATION LAST YEAR BUT IT WAS TO MUCH ANXIETY FOR ME, NOW i SEE HOW MUCH THIS CAN HELP. i'VE SPENT THE LAST HOUR READING,LEARNING AND FEEL SO MUCH RELEIF!
i DO HAVE A CONCERN, WHERE i HAD THE SURGERY AND THE DOC REMOVED THE STERNO/CLASTOID? MUSCLE I HAVE A ROCK HARD STRIP OF SCAR FROM COLLAR BONE TO TO RIGHT UNDER MY JAW. THE DOC IS ALWAYS ON ME TO "WORK ON THIS" :p A GET IT SOFTER/LOOSER. TO ME IT FEELS HARD AS BONE BUT IT IS ALSO BELOW THE RADIATION LINE. aNY IDEAS WHAT IT IS AND WHY SO HARD? I HAVE GOOD,NOT GREAT, RANGE OF MOTION . mY NECK IS STARTING TO REGAIN SOME SENSATION ALSO AND FEELS VERY TIGHT. i STRETCH AND HAVE HAD A FEW MASSAGES BUT IT HASN'T SEEM TO DO MUCH. i EAT WELL, MY NOSE DRIPS TOO, I BOLUS EVERY BITE WITH WATER BUT I FEEL PRETTY DARN LUCKY TO BE HERE AND PLAN TO STAY ON THIS EARTH A WHOLE LOT LONGER. I JUST HATE DISAPPOINTING MY GREAT DOC BUT I THINK THIS NECK OF MINE IS PERMANENTLY GOING TO BE RIGID. ANY OTHER VIEWS ON THIS SUBJECT?

SCC/L TONSIL/MODIFIED RAD NECK/6WEEKS RADIATION
3POS NODES. 52 YR OLD FEMALE/NEVERSMOKED/MIN ALCOHOL FROM mONTANA

WZ Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

For me, not only the neck is hard, the shoulder on the surgery side is getting rigid too. Mentioned to doctor several times and was told it was fibrosis.

WZ | Stage 4, Tonsillar Cancer Aug, 2002
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Kathy, Check your cap's lock so you'r not shouting at us. (actually it is just hard to read) wink

I have continued to regain flexibility and the feeling is less stiff. It takes a long time. Gentle stretching and keep on working it will help but the change is so gradual that you can hardly notice.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Kathy, my husband had similar surgery February 2003 and 33 IMRT, finishing May 16, 2003. He went through physical therapy to regain better use of his shoulder and arm. I insisted that he go because he did not think it would make a difference. When he started he could not lift his right arm higher than his shoulder but after the therapy he lifted it all the way up. He is not as good as he was before surgery but there has been a big improvement. He is back playing golf very well,gardening and I am so glad he can go back to doing something he loves, I am proud of him. Don't give up, try some therapy, there are exercises you can do at home, but you have to be disciplined. Good luck.
Becky

Hi Kathy,
My mother-in-law is 1 year post surgery this month and her neck is still rock hard, I'm told it's not unusual. Also immediately after surgery she could hardly move her right arm because her shoulder hurt so much. The doctors said they didn't know why her shoulder was so bad, I now know they must have known all along as it is so common. But as of last month she can lift her arm above her head, thanks to physio twice a week.
Keep doing the massages, they really help....

Karen

Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Kathy,

I've had neck dissections/radiation on both sides, and strangely enough the first side as I call it is much harder than the second. First side surgery/rad is about 18 months old, still limited range of movement, hard, and feels tight. As far as the runny nose, I think that's one of those rare side effects that everyone has, but no one wants to talk about. I get it also, like they re-wired my salivary glands through my nose. The rigidity may go away, but I think the docs are sometimes optimistic. Had the exact same treatment on the opposite side a year ago, and it's not near as hard or tight feeling. Go figure
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.

Hi Kathy-

I am 20 months past treatment and have had great results from deep tissue message and physical therapy sessions. Neck is much softer, mobility has increased and sensitivity in the area has decreased. Would highly recommend getting PT. - Good luck! Kris

SCC Stage IV left tonsil neck disection 3/02 radiation finished 6/02 chemo finished 9/02
Stage 2A left breast cancer 3/09, chemo and radiation, finished treatment 2/7/10 -Stage 2 right beast cancer 10/14 chemo and radiation
Every day is still a gift :-)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Kathy,
It's been awhile since I have been here...but I understand completely what you are talking about. My husband who was diagnosed with SCC (stage 3) back in August 2002, and had radiation, chemo and then finally about 6 months out...a modified radical neck dissection. Since that time, until present...he is still experiencing the "hardened neck" syndrome (as I call it) along with his right side of face and under the chin. (this was the side that was treated). The doc keeps telling us this is "normal" and that it "takes time". That is understatement! I am also re-assured by other members here who are still experiencing this problem, so it's good to know that we are not alone in this. It's been 1 year and 2 months since my husband's surgery, and all things considered - he is doing well. But this "neck thing" has been a constant problem for him, and I know sometimes his patience wears thin. All I can tell you is that it truly is a slow moving process. Hang in there - time has a way of helping you to adjust, as it did for us...but we both can't wait to see some REAL signs of improvement. Take care.

DonnaJean

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users