Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#26069 12-13-2003 07:36 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Chuck, The salivia ducts are usually pretty easy to find and if obstructed there will be reduced or no flow seen. My guess is your aunt is right, and you shouldn't worry for now. Take the drugs and monitor the situation. If it doesn't get better then proceed on with the next followup.

Gary is correct in saying many of us had late diagnosis on our cancer (mine was 6 months after the lump showed up in my neck) That is why we don't mess around with our advice to be diligent in getting things looked at. The comments should not imply that we don't believe your dentist, rather that ANYTHING unusual in the oral cavity that doesn't go away in 2 weeks needs thorough checking including a possible biopsy and microscopic analysis. Don't be freaked out by this, but we just lost a family member here that was 29 years young. We may be a little shell-shocked.

Take care and be sure to let us know how things work out.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#26070 01-04-2004 11:08 AM
chuck Offline OP
OP Offline

OK, the pennicillin reduced the swelling in the floor of my mouth but didn't do much else, the lump is still there and there is actually a second larger one forming below. I went to my oral surgeon and he immediately went through a light cancer screening. Felt lymph nodes, no swelling. Xrayed the floor of my mouth, nothing. He said that i probably have either a cyst or a blockage of a minor salivary gland, but that it's not much to worry about. He told me to rinse with saltwater four times a day for a month and come back in february. If the lump is still there he will remove it and send them in for biopsy. I'm still worried and the pain in my mouth is very irritating, but since my lymph nodes checked out fine and there are no, as he put it, calcifications in the floor of my mouth, i feel a bit better. I'm assuming at worst this is a very small cancer that I caught very early, and at best it's just a benign problem. Really hoping it's benign though.

#26071 01-04-2004 03:39 PM

Hi Chuck, Thanks for the update!

I have been wondering what is going on. I still would believe that cancer at your age is unlikely. I also don't like the wait one month and see idea. If I were you I'd see another doctor (Ear Nose & Throat ENT) for a second opinion without waiting. The price would be worth the peace of mind. It would seem to me that someone should be able to tell you for sure what it is.

Take care

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#26072 01-07-2004 06:58 AM
chuck Offline OP
OP Offline

That's what I thought when he told me that. Supposedly this guy is very good at what he does, always flying around and out of the country to do surgeries and what not. So I trust him. But he couldn't give me any kind of a definite answer. He said if it was cancer, especially in the floor of the mouth almost 100% of the time your lymph nodes will be very noticibly swollen. He said that my xray showed that although these lumps feel hard, the xray went right through them meaning that they are not calcified, most likely not tumourous. He narrowed it down to 2 or 3 benign problems. He said he didn't want to do a biopsy right away because after it I would be quite sore for quite a while and talking and eating would be painful. It was frustrating, I was about to tell him to just cut me open for God's sake and let me know for sure. I think I may visit an ENT, who will probably just want to do a biopsy, which is what my oral surgeon will most likely have to do to me in a couple weeks anyway. So ugh, the not knowing is hard to deal with. The saltwater rinse is helping quite a bit with the slight swelling and pain, but like the penicillin, isn't doing much else. Oh well, this should all get figured out soon enough.

#26073 01-07-2004 06:14 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Chuck,
I'm not trying to frighten you but there are a number of us here who had no lymph node involvement. I had none yet my cancer was staged at III/IV, so your oral surgeon is flat wrong about it. That's why I always recommend seeing an ENT or head & neck surgeon (preferably one from a comprehensive cancer center).
There's only one way to get a definitive answer - biopsy and pathology report - xrays and scans are subject to interpretation.

If it is an infection it should be accompanied by some pain. If it responds to the antibiotics then you're home free - if not, get a referral to a competent ENT and find out for sure. And yes, there are benign conditions that it could be also.

In all fairness to your doctors, oral cancer in 20 year olds is fairly uncommon and that's why they don't believe that's what you have. My head & neck surgeon told me that the 6cm x 3cm tumor growing on my tonsil might be benign also (until the biopsy report came back). Since I haven't drank or smoked in many years I didn't fit the profile either.

It is good that you are taking this seriously. If, in the rare possibility, it is cancer, the earlier you have treatment, the better the outcome will be. In any case - ditch the dip. We would hate to see you back here in 20 years saying we told you so...

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#26074 01-08-2004 06:28 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Chuck...........Gary is right. The floor of my mouth and tongue were full of cancer and I had no pain and no lymphnode involvement what so ever. I was 34 when first diagnosed with tongue cancer and it took me a Family MD, office visit, a visit to both a dentist and an oral surgeon who put me on antibiotics and told me "to watch "it" for a few months" and a couple of more Doctor visits before they finally did the biopsy and discovered ......'by gosh it is cancer." They didn't take me seriously either because I didn't fit the profile. Thankfully the first time around I was lucky and they only had to remove a tiny section of tongue and since there was NO lympnode involvement I didn't have to concern myself with RAD or chemo. I was lucky back then, diagnosed in Nov'89 and surgery Jan 2, 1990. Seven years later I had a recurrence and wasn't so lucky. Lost over two-thirds of my tongue and suffered though a treatment of RAD and chemo.

You are your own best advocate. Make an appointment with an ENT, have him/her biopsy the lesion or lump and be done with it. A biopsy is not that painful nor does the pain last that long. Eating and chewing are nomal after afew days and if it isn't cancer you'll be back to normal in a few days. The only way a Doctor can give a cancer diagnoses is by a biopsy and reading the path report. I encourage you to move forward in this direction, if for nothing else, a peace of mind.

A good rule of thumb/tongue: ANYTHING ...lump, sore, lesion, funny color.......should be looked at and biopsied if it has been in the oral caviity more than two weeks and especially if an anti biotic has been used and isn't working. Too many of us didn't fit the 'profile' and let things go on too long. Don't let that happen you you. Make your appointment with an ENT....a GOOD Ears,Nose and Throat Doctor, and do it today. I know that sometimes it is very difficult to get an immediate appointment but if you explain your situation perhaps they will get you in right away rather than making you wait.

Good Luck, Chuck, and let us know what is happening.

Sincerely
Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#26075 02-08-2004 05:21 PM
chuck Offline OP
OP Offline

saw my oral surgeon again this weekend. he took another look and told me he is 100% sure this is nothing cancerous. he diagnosed me with swollen salivary ducts. He said he is absolutely sure because he has seen them before and cancer simply does not act or look the same as these cysts. He wrote me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory mouth rinse and told me to come back in a month. he said he did not feel a biopsy was even necessary because he is 100% sure he knows what it is. he told me to come back once the rinse is done and if they are still there and i am still worried he can biopsy or destroy the cysts with a laser. he really made me feel a lot better. he said he wants to stay away from surgery because it will cause some unnecessary destruction of normal tissue but i of course can still pursue that option. i am not a doctor and he seemed to be very sure of himself, i feel much better now, just wondering what you guys think?

#26076 02-08-2004 07:00 PM

I think that is very good news, Chuck, and it seems right on the money. Of course you will go back in a month, right? And of course you will use this as a wake-up call to stay far away from tobacco products, right? You are more than welcome to visit us any time, but I know everyone would prefer that you not join our club (grin). Thank you so much for letting us know how things turned out. We need to hear all the good news we can around here.

#26077 02-09-2004 04:33 PM

Hi Chuck,

Call him and ask if he is 100% sure to bet his house and next year's wages if he is wrong. That should work. smile

#26078 02-09-2004 06:40 PM
chuck Offline OP
OP Offline

i take it you're skeptical?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260