Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25848 05-22-2003 08:45 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Went to the University of Pennsylvania today to see a surgical oncologist and find out if he will do a repeat biopsy, instead of going back to this "quack" in my area. He did a THOROUGH exam, having me put on a gown and checking all lymph nodes, not just my neck (he check armpits, groin, etc). I told he has given me by far the most attention yet, and that was good for me!! Anyway, since he is not an ENT, he cannot (or will not is a better term) rebiopsy my base of tounge lesion. He will however, send me to an ENT at U of P and see of he thinks it would be smarter to rebiopsy that lesion or have himself (the oncologist) remove the enlarged cervical (neck) lymph node for biopsy on that. Well, come to find out that the ENT's next appt. is not until June 26th. I was livid to say the least, but I told the scheduler "No" and that he wanted me to been seen within a week (which he did), so she said she'd have the doctor call my doctor (which is fine) and that she would see about a sooner appointment. Maybe they can decide over the phone, my best route of diagnosis, and I plan on calling them back tommorrow to follow-up. I signed the consent for the Lymph Node Removal/Biopsy (he said it was easier to do it now then come back into the city just to do that) and if the ENT has a problem scheduling or thinks it is better, all I will have to do is call him, and he will have me in very fast for a biopsy. So, I am now waiting for my insurance (aetna) to approve an MRI to see the nodes a little better and the lesion on my throat. Hope I can get this all taken care of by tommorrow. So, my saga for a diagnosis continues, but I am still smiling (despite this ridiculous time line of events) because I know that now, I am in good hands.......(atleast that is what I am telling myself smile )

#25849 05-22-2003 11:05 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I said I would refrain from responding to your posts, but I am going to break my word here. I am sorry to hear that this is yet again being put off, and that the issues with doctor

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25850 05-22-2003 02:31 PM
OP Offline

Well, I am all set-up for the MRI, but it will not be until June 13th. So much for moving quickly, but I will call the Oncologist tommorrow and see about this ENT appointment. The more I think about it, I may just say "let's go and do the lymph node removal". That will atleast get me moving in the right direction. But maybe the MRI will be of no use by that point since there will be no lymph node to see. We shall see what the doc says.
Brian- I am happy to see your post, please do not refrain any longer. I was upset the one time because I had 20 people telling me what the right thing to do was and I felt like if I didn't listen, then I was wrong. Anyway, what do you think you would be able to do for me? I would love to speed things up, but I am not sure how. This new ENT's name is Ara A. Chalian, MD. He is at Penn as well, and I really hoped to see him this week and not next month. Why do they put off people with suspected cancer? How long before it can spread or get worse? It has already been 2 months, not to mention 2 mos of my throat hurting badly. They are not living my (our) pain, so they have no concept of a patient needing an appointment ASAP. I can't give them this pain, but I just wish they would understand. This new Oncologist, Dr. Spitz, is great. Really cares and wants to move quick! Thanks for your post and any information would be very helpful!
Desiree'

#25851 05-22-2003 04:08 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

They understand the concept of you needing an appointment as soon as possible, and they also understand the consequenses legally if they delay things, and cause further harm by doing so. All I can offer to do is make a call, and question the powers that be about the wisdom of putting you off for another month, and if this is in your best interest or even theirs. You have symptoms that should be setting off bells, and they are taking their time about things. I have found in the past that a diplomatic reminder that there is a liability issue at stake if they do not pursue things in a reasonable time frame, or if they allow a disease to prosper into a later stage that causes you further harm. They have a responsibility to either get you in, or get you referred to someone who has a more open schedule. Dawdling can get them sued in the long run...if you were harmed by their lack of expediency. Sometimes they need to be reminded of that. If they can

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25852 05-23-2003 04:38 PM
OP Offline

Hi everyone! I have great news and more great news. The MRI is still June 13th, but I am not too concerned, because that is not going to diagnose me. The thing I am happy about is the 2 new doctors spoke on the phone today (the surgical oncologist and the ENT) and they decided that I need to be seen ASAP, so they moved my appointment from June 12th, to June 2nd. I can wait a week and a half, no problem! I am just so relieved that people are moving quickly now and realize the importantance of getting an early and quick diagnosis. Well, that is all for now. I will post more after my appointment next Monday!
Desiree'
P.S. I already e-mailed Brian, but just in case, I REALLY appreciated all of his offers for help and I did plan on taking him up on them had these doctors not gotten their hind ends in gear. But, all is well for now, so thanks for everything Brian!

#25853 05-23-2003 07:32 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

sometimes a picture is worth more than words: laugh smile

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#25854 05-28-2003 11:20 AM

Hi Desiree,

Guess what. Dr Chalian is my surgeon and I highly recommend him as a surgeon. I said no scars and he somehow did a left neck dissection and a total laryngectomy on me, and other than this hole in my neck, you can hardly see I was operated on.

I'm a little surprised that your appointment is on a Monday. Normally new patients are seen on Thursday when the entire cancer board meets and you get the 35 doctors, mostly interns, looking down your throat. However, take whatever appointment you can get. They will probably bring you back for a Thursday consult if there is time.

Take all your medical records and films with you if you can. Do NOT rely on your hosiptal to send them. I wasn't that smart the first time and it wound up delaying things another 2 weeks.

What time is your appt. - all Monday appointments in the afternoon tend to run about 1-2 hours late. Have a written list of questions but try to keep them succinct. Take at least one person who listens with you(my husband doesn't listen well) who can take notes. Too bad my appointment is on the 9th, or i would meet you down there.

Good luck and I hope you like Dr. Chalian. Remember, he is a surgeon so when he thinks treatment options, he is thinking surgery. If you want if there are other options and what the risks are, ask him.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#25855 05-28-2003 01:54 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

In the futre, please keep doctors names in the form of private emails. Whether the comments are good or bad, we try to respect their privacy.

#25856 06-03-2003 03:49 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Desiree,

Hoping all went well with your appointment yesterday. I have been thinking and praying for you.

Lisa
SCC of Tongue Stage 1 (T1,N0,M0)
partial glossectomy,modified neck dissection 4/14/03

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members