Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#25730 04-04-2003 02:31 AM
TGF Offline OP
OP Offline

A couple of months ago I noticed a lump in my neck. My doctor referred me to an ENT who did some tests and felt that it was a swollen lumph gland that had probably enlarged because of an infection and would either go away on its own or maybe just not increase in size. I was supposed to have gone back for a recheck but it really never changed, so I put it off. It has been about four months now. I have always had recurrent ulcerations on the roof of my mouth and inside my cheeks. About a month ago, I had four at one time, but they disappeared in about two weeks. Now a hard lump has formed on the roof of my mouth. There are no ulcers, just a pronounced hard lump about the size of a dime. Should this be checked out and by whom? My ENT? My dentist? Oral cancer info seems to point out that lumps in the hard palate of the roof of the mouth are uncommon. So should I even be concerned? Any info would be helpful. Thanks TGF

#25731 04-04-2003 09:02 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

TGF, I would get in touch with your ENT imediatly. As in today! It may be nothing serious but you do not want to take chances with this kind of thing!

Personally, 6 months went by from the first doctor I saw, he was not all that concerned. I wish badly I had not waited.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#25732 04-04-2003 04:03 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Anything which has not healed or resolved in two weeks is suspect and needs to be definitively diagnosed. You need to see a professional and not put this off any longer. In all disease, those with the earliest diagnosis have the best outcomes....

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25733 04-05-2003 02:52 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

TGF,
I completely agree with Mark and Brian. If you your symptoms haven't disappeared, have it checked out right away with a biopsy, either by an ENT or oral surgeon!
Like you I had an asymptomatic lump on my palate that actually became smaller between the time my dentist noticed it and the biopsy. To everyone's surprise it turned out to be malignant, but since it was found at an early stage, I got away with surgery only. I am not suggesting that whatever is going on in your mouth/ neck is cancer, but at least get peace of mind by having it checked out with a biopsy. Hope everything will turn out well, and you won't become a member of this club.
Good luck!

Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma, Stage I, diagn. Sept. '02
DENTIST SAVED MY LIFE!
#25734 04-11-2003 04:29 AM
TGF Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to Mark, Brian, and Sigrid for your replies. The lump in my neck has not changed, just a small enlarged rubbery feeling lymph gland, I'm sure. I'm just a little concerned that it has never shrunken or completely gone away since I had never had it before. My ENT stated that it was not uncommon for people to have those swollen lymph glands and he was not impressed enough to risk surgery on my neck. He did not feel that other lymph glands were involved, so he felt it was not a major concern. I have not put it off intentionally, it's just that I don't want to be overly concerned if he is not. My biggest question is with the hard lump in the roof of my mouth. I am 45 and I actually felt the roof of my husband and daughter's mouths to make sure that it was not supposed to be there. There are no lumps in their mouths, but it is not even sore, feels more like a knot. If it doesn't go away, I'll have it checked. If you can refer me to any info that might help, please share. Thanks for your help. It is good to have someone to ask so I can better determine if I should really be concerned. TGF

#25735 04-11-2003 04:47 AM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Surgery is not necessary to determine what is going on with your neck. The doctor, TODAY, could do a fine needle biopsy, something that is only a little uncomfortable and will give him cellular material to have analyzed in the next 48 hours. You should ask for this, if this node has remained the same for an extended period of time. If he is unwilling to give you better answers to what is going on, he should refer you to another doctor for a second opinion, or you should seek one out yourself. As to the roof of your moth, I was going to say that this was a torus, but you mentioned that it has recently appeared. It may be a cyst, or something else, but at minimum, radiographic examination should be conducted. An oral surgeon who has a Panorex in his office can do it in just a few minutes and offer you a professional opinion. Whatever path you choose, it shouldn't be to wait and wonder.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25736 04-11-2003 05:10 AM
TGF Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your reply, Brian. What is a torus? Also, is it uncommon for a lymph gland to remain swollen? The ENT conducted an ultrasound and then subsequently a CT scan on this lump. The radiologist stated that it appeared to have blood flow but was small and appeared uniform, not jagged, so he suspected it was just a swollen lymph node. The ENT agreed. I don't want to appear paranoid, I just am a little concerned that it has not gone away or seemed to have changed. You're right, I guess I should have it rechecked and should ask for a needle biopsy to be sure. I just wondered if it was common for others to have lymph nodes appear swollen and it not amount to anything. Like everyone else, my life is busy and I always want to think that it will go away. Maybe I've waited long enough. But is it possible that it will just stay that way forever with no problems? Thanks, TGF

#25737 04-11-2003 08:17 AM

TGF,
In the words of my Ear Nose & Throat Doc (I rember them well) "There are many things that can cause a lump". Some are not a serious problem. I know life is busy but IF it is one of the serious things, time is not a help. I do not want to scare you but be assured anyone who has been through the treatments for the serious problem will tell you to get it checked thoroughly and soon. Pain is not always an indicator for cancer at the beginning.

In my case I had a doctor who was not too concerned at first. That was 6 months before a friend (a pathologist) told me in a very terse way to get it checked out! I probably owe my life to him. I too was busy and it didn't hurt, it wasn't changing, and I felt absolutly fine, just a firm painless small lump. In addition I was "too young" and no tumor was seen. It still was a bad thing for me. According to my surgeon 50% survival bad!

If you read in this forum there are several folks here who were mis-diagnosed at first. This is not to say that yours is a serious problem (and I truly hope it is not) but YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR SURE.

If you need an excuse, print this post and bring it with you show it to your doc. Tell him/her you are there to make me happy.

Don't forget to let us know the results.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#25738 04-11-2003 08:21 AM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Please remember that I am not a doctor, through well informed. In my personal opinion I do not believe that a node should stay swollen for any length of time without resolution. I think if you read the past messages regarding nodes, those that were related to infections that people had, were very sore, and resolved with anitbiotics in short order. In my own case, my swollen node was painless. Your doctor should determine if you have an infection causing the swelling (blood test, etc.). But for sure, he should be determining what the cause of the swollen node is. A swollen node is a symptom, not a disease. It is the result of something else going on......

A palatine torus is a bony growth of no consequense in the palate and they are very common. They usually only cause problems for people who wear an upper denture.

Lastly, hopefully expecting something to stay wrong (and that be OK) is the incorrect mindset in my opinion.

#25739 04-11-2003 09:14 AM
TGF Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, guys. You made your point. I will get it rechecked and will make an appointment today. I know things should not go undiagnosed. It's just that I have no other symptoms and the doctor was so unconcerned. But you're right. Only those of you who have been through this can know how serious it really can be. I will not ignore it. Thanks, again, and I'll let you know what the ENT decides.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users