Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25681 02-22-2003 11:45 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi, It's been 2 weeks since my husband John had the modified rad. neck dissection done. And as you all have mentioned - the swelling is there, and getting more pronounced. It, to me doesn't look "that bad" but John says it feels like someone put a tight "harness around his neck and is tied down". He also feels the same tight feeling in his chest where they took the drainage tubes out just this past Thursday. (that looks like 2 raised holes - almost like a "snakebite" - it's puffy and a bit swollen there). Joanna gave a good tip about doing the lateral massage which John is going to have his Physical Therapist show him how to do when he goes for his first appointment/evaluation this coming Monday. He is taking his regular pain meds (Oxycontin - 40mg, Oxycodone 2 @ 5mg each and Tylenol/Codeine #4) - his Surgeon cut him off of the Liquid Morphine, which is a big disappointment, because that really seemed to help along with the other meds. Anyways, is there anything else he/we can do to reduce the swelling in his neck/side of face/chest or does this just have to run it's course? Is this the result of the lymphatic system learning a "new route" so-to-speak? What about applying a cold compress or ice bag - do you think that would help? Any advice you can give is always appreciated. Thanks much.

DonnaJean
#25682 02-22-2003 01:12 PM
J4 Offline

Hi DonnaJean, I've been dealing with the same situation for 5 months, my face is swollen, my neck is swollen and stiff. I've had physical therapy to relieve the stiffness and swelling but so far no luck. My doctor says that it takes time, and that eventually it will go away, I really hope so. In the mean time I wanted to tell you that according to my Physical Therapist any extreme temperature (too cold or too hot) will agravate the swelling. If you learn anythinng new, please let me know.

JU
#25683 02-22-2003 02:43 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the reply - I'm glad you told me about what your P.T. said about applying extreme temps to the swollen area(s) - We were going to try putting an ice bag on the side of his face and neck tonight to see if that would help, but after your response - Johnny said he'll wait until Monday when he has his appt. with the therapist to see what they say! I figured people always tell you to put some ice or a frozen steak on a swollen area to bring it down, so it couldn't hurt to try. Not that John was about to strap a 12 oz. Porterhouse to his neck - but when you're desperate - you'll try just about anything! It's frustrating because after all the effects of the chemo, radiation and after going through 3 surgeries so far....and just when things were kind of getting better - BAM! - swollen, painful neck, face and chest. Not to mention there is some difficulty moving his arm up - that's primarily why his surgeon is sending him for the therapy. I hope it gets better in time as you have mentioned. I will let you and anyone who is interested know what he finds out on Monday after his initial meeting. Hang in there and let me know if you hear anything else new and helpful as well! Thanks again.

DonnaJean
#25684 02-22-2003 03:10 PM
WZ Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

The swelling is caused by the accumulation of lymph fluid, to reduce the swelling, he needs to keep his upper body up straight while sleeping. This means that he should not sleep in the bed. It is too flat for lymph fluid to drain.

After my radical neck dissection, I slpet in couch for two weeks, then I slpet in bed with 4 pillows.

WZ | Stage 4, Tonsillar Cancer Aug, 2002
#25685 02-22-2003 03:16 PM
OP Offline

WZ, thanks for your reply. I do have a special pillow that coverts to 4 different positions...even where you can prop yourself up like in a hospital bed. So I think I am going to remove the regular pillows from the bed and replace it with this 4-in-1 pillow to see if that does any good for him! Thanks again for the advice.

DonnaJean
#25686 02-22-2003 04:06 PM

Donna, my husband, Ron, had his surgery last August and still sleeps in his recliner. He can't be lower than 45 degrees because the fluid and mucous build up and he chokes. He fluid does appear to be finding new channels just this week as a matter of fact. So hang in there, this, along with so much more, seems to take lots of time.

#25687 02-24-2003 10:23 AM
OP Offline

Hi to All. We went to see the Physical Therapist today and she was OK, but really didn't get into too much information at this point. She had John do some basic stretches and used a "pulley" to help him raise his arms as far as he could. This initial session went well - but John said he really felt the strain in his neck and arms, and it was very painful. He had taken his pain meds before leaving the house - but by the time he was done with the exercises they had him do - I thought he was going to need a few more and fast! Of course as the old saying goes..."No pain, No gain" so I hope in time his arms and shoulders get some strength back. I know some people have mentioned that when they received therapy - it really wasn't all that helpful. I guess only time will tell. What kind of irked me is that the therapist, while working with my husband - was also hopping around to 2 other patients who were getting various therapies done. She didn't answer much of our questions at this time, but he has to go back there this Wednesday, so hopefully she'll have more time to sit down with him and answer the questions he has. John also wants to have "masso-therapy" done, and she seemed reluctant to do it saying at this point he probably would not be able to tolerate it. But he is insisting that she do this because he had this procedure done before on the back of his legs for torn hamstrings and he benefited greatly from that. She said that in time, she will try to incorporate some masso-therapy in his session, but it may not be for at least a few weeks. So that was pretty much it for today - not a whole lot of info to give, because we didn't have much time to spend with the therapist, but as soon as we hear anything else (perhaps on Wednesay) - I'll keep everyone informed.

DonnaJean

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users