Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I posted for the first time yesterday. I'm still trying to find out how to manuever through this site and use it correctly.

I mentioned yesterday that I have had canker like sore on my soft palate for almost 7 weeks. I had it biopsied 4 days ago. I know I've asked many questions to Brian on the phone, so if you are listening Brian, I may be repeating myself. But i am wondering about a few things.

1. It seems like the border around my lesion has hardened since the biopsy. The surgeon took about half of the 1 centimeter lesion. Does this mean anything?

2. The area around he lesion,has been red from the beginning. This includes the uvula (misspelled). Is this just inflamation or could it be a part of cancer, if it is cancer?

3. It seems after reading many posts, that many people have had to wait and wait to determine things like staging, determining treatment options, etc. How dangerous is it to NOT keep the process moving as fast as possible? In my case, I have had this lesion 7 weeks. By the time my result comes back,it will be over 8 weeks. Then add the time to have my primary look at the pathology report. Then figure out a treatment plan. Then find a timely way to get all this decided and begin treatment.

By the time I have surgery, or radiation and or chemo, a lotta lotta time passes. If I am a stage 1, for example, or any stage for that matter, doesn't this time thing put one's recovery at risk? Each day I look in my mouth and see this nasty sore. I'm thinking that if this is cancer, I want it out of my mouth asap. Yet everything I just mentioned above will probably delay the whole process. Is this dangerous?

I realize I am putting the cart before the horse, but I think these are legitimate questions. Or not?

p.s. Has anyone had a lesion for over 2 months and NOT have it be cancer?

Michael

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Michael: I will try some possible ideas on you for your questions. They may or may not apply.
1. After a surgical biopsy there will we scar tissue forming. It's harder than the normal mucosa, though over time may revert back to its original texture 2. The redness can just be inflammation, from the original problem or from the surgical procedure. 3. IF you need a treatment plan developed, the doctors that you see will surely do this in short order after your diagnosis. But before then, IF you have something really bad, they will do more testing to determine how far along the problem is. This will include things like MRI's CT's, etc. Then after that they can stage the problem. After all staging is about extent, and without the testing they won

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Michael,

I thought my story may be of some help to you. My dentist discovered a lesion on the lateral side of my tongue at the beginning of June during a regular check up. He refered me to an oral pathologist however I was not able to get an appointment for about 6-7 weeks. On July 15 the pathologist biopsied the area. It turned out to be carcinoma in situ and I had it surgically removed a week later (July 23). I have no idea how long the lesion had been in my mouth for. But in the 8 weeks between discovery and surgery my cancer remained noninvasive (carcinoma in situ is the period before stage 1 cancer). Perhaps you caught yours early too and it will turn out well for you. I wish you all the best.

Sandra

OP Offline

Sandra and Brian and group

My oral surgeon called me and gave me great news. He said the pathologist found no evidence of cancer! He stated that I may have a very stubborn viral ulcer. He wants me to wait 1 week to see if things improve after the biopsy.If things are the same I would be given a 5 day dose of prednesone.

I am very grateful to be given this news. As Brian may have picked up in our phone conversations, I was quite anxious about how this could turn out.

In my blessing, I have had the opportunity to learn so much about this disease and this web site and the wonderful and courageous people that inhabit these pages.

I have been given the gift to be able focus on appreciating each day for it's unique worth, to not fixate on those things I can't control.

I will no longer complain about such inane things that don't deserve a moments anxst. I will give thanks to God each day. I will commit myself to helping other without first thinking what I can get out of the transaction.

I will continue to visit these pages and check in when appropriate. I thank you especially, Brian for your daily selfless efforts to fight the good fight and build the army to turn the corner on this disease.

Please let me know what I can do to help. Making a $ contribution would be an easy thing to do, BUT I want to DO something.

God bless you all

Michael Anthony Gangitano

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Michael. This is really great news. And while I am glad that we don

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics