Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25346 08-31-2002 04:38 PM
OP Offline

Brian you asked about my other symptoms. I have risk factors I have dipped for four years. I have a pain way in the back of my tongue on the right side beyond the taste buds. I feel as if I have a sore throat and sometimes a burning sensation on my tongue. My left ear is blocked (for about a week) but just today I noticed the pain but the pain is on the outside near the entrance so i think its because I stick too many Q tips in it to try and unblock it. I am just really concerned. I have seen three oral surgeons and an oral pathologist who have all said that my mouth is helthier than theirs are but I am worried it may be base of tongue cancer or some other cancer of the orphanyx. However I only dip and have heard that these types of cancer although possible are not commonly associated with dipping they are more for smokers and drinkers. Anyways I am not looking for answers just some info if people have it. Thanks I am really worried and I am only 21

#25347 08-31-2002 06:07 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Given that you've seen these doctors and they have given you a clean bill of health, I would do two things. Relax, and quit your association with tobacco. It will come to no good end. Remember that most oral cancers are time/dose related to tobacco. You are young, and compared to a patient who has been at it for a couple of decades, you are probably lucky enough to be giving it up before a serious condition changes your life. If you go to see an ENT regarding your blocked ear, he will probably be able to help you resolve things and put your mind at rest. Irritated papilla on the tongue which can feel like a burning sensation, are common in most people and usually come and go throughout your life. Dipping is not a viable, cancer free way of using tobacco...it will get you in the end if you continue. Trust me, I talk to people every week that thought otherwise and are fighting for their lives now.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25348 09-02-2002 06:53 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi:

It is also possible the ear pain is from a blocked eustachian tube (connects your ear to your throat and can also impact your nose). Do you have any allergies?

An ENT can also help with the type of problem above which can take quite a while to resolve.

I say be honest be with the next person that you feel very nervous despite being reassured before.

I think you said you are at Babson in Wellesley, Ma. Dave's ENT is Dr. Mark Rounds, chief at Newton-Wellesley Hospital and affiliated with Mass Eye & Ear. His phone number is 617-630-1699. He is young and very caring. Tell him Dave Crowther & Kim Crocker sent you if you go.

Keep us posted,

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"
#25349 09-02-2002 05:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You should keep persueing your concerns until you are satisfied there is nothing wrong. A very young man in my area who died this past year of cancer blamed his cancer on chewing tabacco. He developed a lump in his throat and didn't persue it because of his age. Later on when he finally did go to the doctor and got it diagnosed it was to late. His last thing he ever said was don't use dip.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics