Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25313 07-17-2002 09:47 AM
sammy Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello. I am really worried. Two years ago I was diagnosed with leukoplakia on the floor of the mouth.
The ENT told me not to worry about it and said it wasn't cancerous. He said there was nothing he could
do about it, no treatment. I did smoke at the time. I stopped smoking, but still two years later
I still have the lesions. After doing much reading I have found that the majority of leukoplakia patients
develop oral cancer. So now I feel helpless and am just waiting for cancer to develop. I'm only 21 yrs old and I just had a baby in January.
With the words of the ENT, i didn't worry unitl recently as I've discovered how oral cancer really works. I'm going to try and see an oral surgeon asap to see if anything has developed
I think about this constantly; everyday, all day. Should I be as worried as I am?

Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Sammy, slow down. You have made an appointment and that is the important thing. You will find out when it is time to find out. I remember reading years ago that the two most wasted emotions that we have are guilt and worry in our lives. You can not change anything that has happened, ie: guilt and you cannot predict what the future is going to hold, ie: worry. This is a scary time for you. Please use this forum as a venting board, all of us have been in your shoes, or had relatives in your shoes. Believe me, we all understand. I just wish this board had been in existance two years ago. Take a deep breath and we will help you. Take care Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

First, many people go their whole lives and their leukoplakias never become anything else, so don't get too far out in your worry cycle yet. Also, I have talked with several people who have had the leukoplakia removed with a laser. In one person this has stayed away for over three years now, with the second, it came back a year later and was taken off again. So to some extent there is a treatment. It's good that you are aware of the possibilities, and now you can be watching carefully if anything changes. That puts you way ahead of the game should something develop, which it may never do. OC caught early is very treatable and survivable. But you may never have to deal with it at all.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Leukoplakia develops into cancer around 1 in 20 times according to research, but it can take many, many years before anything develops. And like Brian typed, have it examined often, early diagnosis means less complications. I know it's hard to do but don't worry. According to my dentist I have leukoplakia also. I just figure that I will have it looked at often by a Maxiofacial Surgeon whom only charges about $40.00 per examination. A small price to pay for a piece of mind. If something develops and it is the big C then I'll worry.

sammy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all so much for advice. My peers don't understand and it feels so much better to have some where to go to talk about this.

sammy Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't know what I should do. I made an appointment to see my dentist and I was given an appointment for next week Thursday. Should I ask to be seen right away or just wait for the appointment.

Sammy, Your okay with the appointment next week. Stay calm and think positive. Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
sammy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much for responding. I will try to calm down. smile

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260