Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25236 05-18-2002 07:24 PM
Jods Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all, I'm hoping that you may be able to give me a little bit of direction here.

2 weeks ago I felt pain around my lower molar tooth - I visited the dentist and he said that I needed root canal therapy (which I have had before) and he completed the 1st stage that day. The pain in my mouth and jaw continued over the next week to the point where I was taking pain killers every 4 hours and was waking of a night because of the pain. (My next appointment with my dentist wasnt for 2 weeks). 8 days after I presented to the emergency room as I could feel a lump on my jaw and the pain is quite draining. The emergency room dr explained that he thought I 'may' have an absess from the tooth and he commenced me on amoxycillan, but told me I must see a dentist ASAP as doctors don't understand teeth!!
I couldnt get into 'my' dentist the following day, so I went to a new one who x-rayed my mouth and re-opened my root canal to redress it in case it was inflammed.

When he finished this he came to have a 'chat' and showed me the x-ray. At the bottom of the picture there is a sizeable 'mass' which he was concerned about, yet believes has nothing to do with the root canal. He asked me to obtain the 1st x'ray that my other dentist took to see if the mass presented on that, or if it was something new - but he said that he thought it was a solid mass and couldnt understand what could possibly cause it.
I rang my other (1st) dentist and spoke to a nurse who looked at the 1st x-ray and she said that there WAS something on it - she then had the dentist call me back and he said that there was something on there also, and that he really should have investigated further when I was there - but that at the time he was more concerned with the tooth.
I told him I wanted the x-ray - and he said no, and after arguing with him he then said that there was nothing to see on the x-ray.

??!?!?

My face is now numb from the middle of my chin up to the left side of my mouth.

I'm a 24 year old female, who has never smoked, but my father died of oral cancer 4 years ago. A tumour was found in his jaw and he was gone 6 months later. I really am lost as to where I should go or what I should do. I keep trying to tell myself that it's probably just from the root canal surgery, but I've got what happened to my dad in the back of my mind and I feel that theres something not right.

Do I have to go back to my dentist about this (I'm starting to lose faith in their knowledge), or can I go to a G.P - (even though the emergency room dr said that they 'don't do teeth'.

Any advise you could provide would be much appreciated - I don't think I can sit around waiting for another week and a half until I go back to my dentist.

#25237 05-19-2002 01:30 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Jods, Make an appointment immediately with an oral maxilloficial surgeon. And that is just pure horse s... that regular doctors don't do teeth. They should understand a mass. My surgeon is a general surgeon and he works as a team with my oral maxilloficail surgeon. Don't let them push you around. Keep going until you get an answer. A mass is nothing to fool around with. Please keep us posted.

Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#25238 05-19-2002 12:04 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Jods.........Anne is right, make an appointment with an oral surgeon ASAP and find both the source of your discomfort and a diagnoses of what the "mass" could be. Try not to think about cancer--there really could be a number of things going on. Just make sure you get to the bottom of all of this and the sooner the better. Good luck, and keep us posted on what happens! Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#25239 05-19-2002 06:06 PM
Jods Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Anne & Donna,

I booked into a doctor this morning and asked for help! The wheels are turning fast now - after examining me she found that I have a solid bone mass, and I went for further scans and x'rays.
After seeing the results she said that there is definately something there, and I am flying out to Darwin - the capital city, this afternoon. The surgeon only comes to town every couple of months and she said I can't wait,so I'm off for an urgent appointment with the ENT surgeon tomorrow morning for a biopsy.

My doctor has been pretty pushy with the other departments (I feel like someones paying attention now!!), but my head is spinning with how fast its all happening now.

So, I'm off to pack and catch a plane.

Thank you and I'll let you know how it goes.

#25240 05-20-2002 03:15 AM

Jods, You keep being pushy. Please let us know the results of your appointment. My thoughts are with you and hope all is okay. Donna is right, don't focus on cancer, just find out what is going on.

Take care.

Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#25241 05-20-2002 08:40 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Jods,
Best of luck to you! Keep us posted and we will keep positive for you! Prayers are being sent your way!
Brooke

Hope is the one thing no one can take away from you!!!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics