Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi! I am new to this website forum. I had bookmarked the site last year when my husband 1st was diagnosed with Tongue Cancer. I will make our story brief. His cancer was late 1st stage, but the tumor (which was located on the under right side of his tongue) was large enough that a portion of his tongue had to be removed & then reconstructed. He also had a neck dissection for 5 levels of node sampling. His sampling came back 100% clear of cancer. And his recovery from surgery was slow but successful.

He has had followup exams ever since surgery & is now on a every 6 weeks schedule. He just had his 10 month followup & the doctor (for the 1st time) was concerned about swelling & tenderness in his upper neck area below the jawline.

As can be expected, I am terrified. Can anyone give me insight into what to expect if the ct scan (taken yesterday) comes back positive for cancer. Before it was clear--oral cancer. Now what kind of cancer would this be considered. Is this lymphoma? I am trying to not panic, but we felt so positive up to this point & I know I should probably not be researching this until a clear diagnosis is received, but.....

Thanks for any info or support.

Laurie

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Laurie, I know how scared you must be. Everytime we go back for a check up, it is so stressful. Try not to think the worst and just wait to see what the dr says. I will keep both of you in my prayers.
Julie
Wife to Kelly
SSC right tonsil
mets to three lymphs

Julie
Wife to Kelly
SSC tonsil Stage IV
July 2000

Laurie,
Your husband sounds a bit like me, only further down the road. I am 10 weeks post-op with nearly identical issues (see full story under Poeple/Patient Stories) here.

For the first few cycles of post-op, the docs focus on the healing process. Our jaw and tissue in general is still pretty aggrevated from the surgery so I suspect feeling anything subtle is unlikely.

Bear in mind, the docs tend to over-test or evaluate rather than under. A CT scan is just another way for them to take a look. Only the diagnosis/results tell you what to expect next.

Whatever it is, you are getting good care and the doc sounds pretty pro-active and on top of it. I'll hold a good thought for the two of you - it might help.

Best luck,
Larry

Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Laurie, Hang in there. If it is any consolation at all, I had my surgery done over a year and a half ago. My neck and below my jaw are still tender to the touch. In fact I still have to remind my Doctor to quit poking at the area. Another of my Doctors told me this pain would probably never go away. Oh well, just something I'm learning to live with. By the way I had much the same done as your husband, 1/3 of my tongue removed, and a radical neck to remove all of my lymph nodes. The skin from my neck was used to build back the floor of my mouth where a second tumor was removed. Now I'm looking to have a bone graft to my jaw to enable me to get implants for the four teeth they removed.

My thoughts are with you and keep us informed of your husbands progress. If you want more information and/or just some encouragment please email me at [email protected]

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916