Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2130 04-08-2004 07:21 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I have been wanting to quit smoking for awhile now, I know I can't just quit cold turkey, I am to addicted, but I honestly do not enjoy it, as stupid as this may sound, but I actually use to enjoy it, but now I cannot even stand the taste of it. Every time I smoke a cig I must have a drink to wash out the taste. So I was thinking about trying the patch but I want to know does it really work? Has anyone here ever tried it and been successful with quiting smoking? Thank you.
Packer66 Littlegirl

#2131 04-08-2004 07:51 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

It's not stupid at all. It is a hallmark of addiction. I have read that smoking is harder to quit than heroin. I was a 2 pack a day smoker and I quit cold turkey (after several aborted attempts). I threw an almost full pack in the trash and never smoked again. That was in 1976 (the year disco came out). It was pretty miserable for several days then it got easier and easier. I have never tried the patch, but a phase out plan sounds like a reasonable approach also. I haven't had a craving for cigarette for decades.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#2132 04-08-2004 10:16 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Gary/littlegirl
I am so grateful for this forum. Everytime I come here I get inspiration. I am an addicted smoker. I have smoked for 40 + years. Today, I complete my 3rd chemo treatment and 3rd week of radiation. Treatments have created DRAGON TONGUE and SMOKING irritates an already bad situation. But, I continue to smoke. I can no longer smoke a complete cigarette, just a couple of puffs and I have my fix for a while. My smoking has decreased from 2+ packs a day to only 3 or 4 cigarrettes a day. But still I smoke.... The taste of a cigarette is revolting to me, But still I smoke..
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
#2133 04-09-2004 12:40 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hey, Guys, my 2 cents..........I was on the patch twice, during both my visits to camp crazy, soon as I walked out the door, patch came off and cigarette went in...............I know smoking makes me nervous, go figure why I smoke then ? The patch did the same thing.....I`ve done a lot better just quitting cold turkey, a lot of people may disagree with me, but in my own case, I`m psycologcally addicted, if I`m reading and someone lights up, so do I, same with movies............and there are triggers, phone calls, getting in the car, morning coffee. The times I have quit, there was no plan to do it, just got up and thought I`m quitting. I forget how long they say a craving lasts, maybe 30 seconds, and I`ve found that when that happens if you can distract your mind, it does work. My Dad smoked, I`m sure for at least 50 yrs, and he just quit cold turkey, he kept on me to do the same, it`s just like any other battle we fight over things that control us, of course, this is coming from someone with huge control issues that started 2 years ago when Frank got so sick, whenever he was in the hospital, I didn`t have control of health or well being, so I developed anorexia, what i ate was the only thing I had control of, go figure......again, I think if you the patch and believe it`s going to work, it will........Dee

#2134 04-09-2004 03:12 AM
OP Offline

Thanks to everyone, I have tried to quit cold turkey many times before but I can't, it is just to hard, so that is why I was thinking about trying the patch. I just don't think I could quit cold turkey no matter how bad I may want to quit it is just to hard. Thanks again, Packer66 Littlegirl

#2135 04-09-2004 05:58 AM

The trick to it is getting past the physiological addiction stage. In AA we call it "putting the plug in the jug". Also removing ALL sources of temptation are crucial. Get rid of all the cigarettes, lighters, matches, ash trays -everything. DO NOT ALLOW smokers in your house or even in your presence. Find a person to be accountable to (like a sponsor) and call them first if you're tempted. After you are through the addictive phase, then work on healthier outlets to deal with tension and other daily life crisis, like working out, taking your dog on long walks.

Don't be such a wimp -this is only no more than a week out of out your life to get past the worst of the craving (couple of days really). It's downhill from there. Speaking from experience when you have finally kicked it for good you will find many reasons to be grateful.

Recovery is not rocket science. But like any other recovery issue you have to REALLY WANT to quit. You need to get past the denial and come to terms with this. If you can't be totally honest with yourself than you will fail.

Surrender can mean 2 things -it can mean losing the war or it can mean going over to the winning side. I prefer to look at recovery in the latter.

Asking your higher power to help you would be a very useful thing to do also.

One of the great paradoxes of Christianity (and other religions as well) is that when we admit that we are weak, then we are empowered to be strong.

One day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time, one breath at a time...

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#2136 04-09-2004 06:16 AM
OP Offline

See my problem is my husband smokes and I do not think he is ready to give it up, so how do I do it when it will still be in the house, or if he goes outside to smoke I will still be able to smell it on him. I do find that if I am some where that I can't smoke, if I chew gum it does help, so I could just chew gum all the time to help with the craving, and just be strong when I smell it on him, I will have to buy gum by the cases. Packer66 Littlegirl

#2137 04-09-2004 06:23 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

How very right you are, Gary. You really have to want to quit. It`s the same as going to rehab because you have t, not because you want to......usually, in my experience if you do it for others it doesn`t work.....It`s like fighting any other demon, it`s either you or the demon comes out on top, and our Higher Power, whatever we choose to call it,really is on our side.I`ve got the one day at a time to one one breath at a time..........there are so many addictions that people don`t realize they have.....food, TV, shopping, I could go on and on........maybe everyone could profit from The Blue Book, I know I`ve been through it several times, as always you`re right on target.........Dee

#2138 04-09-2004 07:49 AM

Thanks Dee,
Some of us call it the "Big Book" as well. And you absolutely right, quitting because someone elso wants you too NEVER works! I think everyone should go through a 12 step program. It certainly will set you free. Living life on life's terms isn't so bad. I have managed to get through the death of parents, friends and cancer -never even thought about a drink. I had to wean myself off of fentanyl and morphine - took 2 days - not a big deal.

These painful times have turned out to be the most intense times of spiritual growth as well. More paradoxes - in death we are reminded how precious life is. We only have today -right now -how can we make it better?

To PackersLittleGirl - It's a lot harder to quit with other smokers in the house but it can be done if you are willing to go to any lengths to quit. It won't be long and it will start to smell bad (the word "stink" comes to mind) on him. Be patient. Craving comes and craving goes.

Tell your husband to check this site out. You may not be ready to look at this site yourself so I would caution you against it.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/61599/Floridian/He_wanted_you_to_know.shtml

Gary Allsebrook
#2139 04-09-2004 08:46 AM

You CAN do this...even cold turkey. I know it's hard, I've quit 3 times. BUT, Gary is absolutely right, the worst part is over in a week. You can stand withdrawal for a week, it is only 7 days! And there are many things worse than nicotine withdrawal that people withstand for much longer periods of time.

I quit for 3 years in 1990 and for 19 months in 2001. I just quit again two weeks ago today for the LAST time (I've learned the hard way that I can NEVER take another drag, ever, relapse is too easy). Having stopped so recently, the discomfort is very fresh in my mind. I can guarantee you that it IS manageable. My suggestions are to 1) become as educated as you can about nicotine addiction, it really will help you beat this thing 2) give yourself permission to do ANYTHING except smoke during that rough first week. I know my failures and those of others I've watched were often abetted by our desire to seem "cool" or "tough" (isn't that why we got sucked in to smoking in the first place?). Give yourself permission to cry, scream, be a bitch, be weak, lay in bed all day...whatever as long as you don't smoke! This really helps! 3) Finally, don't think about a whole long future of not smoking, that is too hard to get your mind around at the beginning and can lead you to feel deprived and depressed. Just tell yourself you won't smoke "today" or "this afternoon" or even "for the next five minutes"! Break it up into manageable chunks of time and before you know it you'll have weeks under your belt.

Of course, after only two weeks, I still have several cravings a day. BUT, they are totally manageable and I feel nearly 100% normal again. Two weeks is not very long! I know from experience that it gets alot better with more time too.

Here are two sites with addiction info and support boards. The first is pretty hard core and "cult" like on the boards, if it is not your style, just ignore that part, but it does have alot of good information on how nicotine addiction works. The second is a good support board for talking to other folks who are taking the plunge too.

www.whyquit.com
www.quitnet.com

Good luck! I KNOW you can do this...there is absolutely nothing special about those of us who have quit. If we can do it you can do it!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics