Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Meeras Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello I had a partial glossectomy and neck dissection to remove a positive node. My main concern is recurrence, quality of speech, and pain management.

Last edited by Meeras; 08-20-2018 09:22 PM.

Survived my partial glossectomy and neck dissection. Pathology shows no spread but I’m scared of recurrence.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF! Have you been treated at a cancer center with oncologists? If so there should be many other services available to cancer patients. Most cancer treatment facilities have things like speech therapy, physical therapy, nutritionists, etc to help the many areas cancer patients need help with. Ive seen patients do speech therapy and have remarkable improvements in their enunciation and go from someone who was very difficult to understand to having clear and easy to understand speech. The treatment facility should have a pain management person to help patients who are in alot of pain as well as therapists to help patients deal with a potentially life threatening diagnosis.

Having a recurrence is every cancer survivors greatest fear!!! I was among those patients who like you feared recurrences. I had such an enormous fear so much so that I wouldnt even take a peek at the recurrence section of our OCF forum. It took me a long time to fully understand the whole picture. This is something completely out of your control. No amount of worrying will ever change if you will or wont have a recurrence. The majority of OC patients will NOT have a recurrence. You could ask at your treatment center about therapists you could talk to who treat cancer patients so they understand what you are going thru. Many OC patients will need some help to get thru their diagnosis, treatment and recovery to handle it mentally. Its very common for them to need anxiety meds to help get them thru some dark days. This is so prevalent that many caregivers need anxiety meds and therapy as well. Cancer is HARD!!!! The diagnosis stuns and can make your head spin which gets the "what ifs" started. You arent alone with this, we all have been there and gone thru this. Now that you have discovered our site, we will do our best to help you. We're all n this together smile

Hope this helps!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Meeras Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello ChristineB,
Thank you for taking the time to write; I was pleasantly surprised!

I’m being treated at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in Toronto. PMC is world class (or so they say) and seems to have a stellar team for head and neck and a survivorship program that includes every possible support.

My surgery was 3 weeks ago and I’m still in pain both tongue and neck, but it’s getting better each day.

I’m awake in the night with itchy skin I can’t relieve. I had 15 lymph nodes removed one that was positive. My pathology report shows ckearwitj good margins so that’s good news. The oncology resident told lme yesterday however that they may have me meet with a radiation oncologyst for a consult tbd sept 7.18.

I was diagnosed July 10 and had surgery July 31.
All so fast... my mood is up and down and I’m so greatful for
Amazing medical care and the support of my family, coworkers / friends.

Thank you

Survived my partial glossectomy and neck dissection. Pathology shows no spread but I’m scared of recurrence.
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome to the forum. I’m from Ontario and my husband was treated at PMH. While John did not have surgery, he did have radiation and chemo there. I can tell you that he had the best care one could hope for. The doctors are really top notch. Make sure you are proactive and ask questions when in doubt. Hoping for the very best for you.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Meeras Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Gmcraft... I have an excellent surgeon and I feel lucky to be receiving world class cancer care in Toronto at PMH.

I’ll find out on Sept 7 if I need any further treatment.
Eating and talking are a struggle atm.

Hope your husband is well!

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Meeras: I send you a private message regarding your concern about recurrence. Did they tell you if your cancer was HPV related ?

SCC stage 1 Nov. '03,
SCC stage 2 (clear mrg, no rad, no chemo) RND, Feb. '15
SCC stage 1, lower gum Mar '23

TLC356

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members