Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18871 10-30-2005 12:18 AM
farrah Offline OP
OP Offline

hi,
i was recently diagnosed with SCC. I had a tumor on my uvula, which was removed along with soft pallet tissues around it. I'm 49, have smoked since my 20's. My problem is that i'm having a hard time quitting smoking. any hints on how to make it easier? what is the recurrence rate? i know i have to quit, but didn't realize quitting would be so hard.

#18872 10-30-2005 12:35 AM

Hi Farrah,

I am 59 and smoked since I was a teenager. I quit the day I was diagnosed with BOT (4 months ago). I used the nicotine patch in the beginning to help me through the rough days. After I started my chemo treatments I was so sick that the cravings were minimal.

Susan

Susan (aka Tami's Mom) - BOT SCC Stage T1/N1= Stage 3 dx 6/27/05 treatment IMRT & chemo (Docetaxel, Cisplatin, 5FU) ended treatment 8/22/05
#18873 10-30-2005 02:29 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Farrah,

There are many medications that are intended to wean you off smoking. It's tough but you can do it. Some quit cold turkey. After going thru surgery and all the unknown things that can cause a recurrance I think that would be enough motavation to quit.

All My Best, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#18874 10-30-2005 06:08 AM

Hi Farrah,
While I was waiting to undergo the biopsy, I was scared to death. Even then I couldn't quit cold turkey and limited myself to 5 a day.Then I read a book entitled 'The Easy Way To Stop Smoking' by Allen Carr. I used this book as an aid to cut down to one or two a day. Then when I was diagnosed and went into the hospital for radical left neck dissection, I refrained while in the hospital and never lit up again since discharge. I, too smoked since I was a young teenager and I'm 46 now. It's been seven months for me now and the minimal cravings are not worth the risk. Did you have any radiation and/or chemo? Barbara

unknown primary, one node,left neck radical dissection, 3 chemo, 33 rads. treatment ended 6-15-05
#18875 10-30-2005 08:23 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Farrah,

As an ex-smoker myself (I quit ten years ago), I think its worth knowing that one big predictor of whether you will be successful quitting smoking is actually how many times you have tried to quit before. The more times, the more likely you'll be successful this time.

Quitting smoking is one of those "if at first you don't succeed, try and try again" things. So don't be hard on yourself if what you've done so far hasn't worked and *especially* don't give up. Just try to figure out where you went wrong, make a plan to cover that, and TRY AGAIN.

I actually found that a lot of the little things alcoholics in recovery use to quit drinking were also helpful to me in quitting smoking.

Some of the most helpful ones for me were these two:

1. be aware of the people, places and things that trigger a craving and AVOID them no matter what. I couldn't go into bars at all for about a year after I quit smoking because I got a terrible craving to SMOKE if I was out having a drink and chatting with friends (this was when you could still smoke in bars). I also couldn't sit down with one of my research colleagues from grad school and discuss resesarch because we had ALWAYS accompanied that with lighting cigarettes and chain smoking. And any time I was angry, at first, I was *dying* for a smoke. I had to learn entirely new methods of dealing with my anger (long fast walks).

2. When you get a really intense craving, put some time around it before even thinking about giving in. I would tell myself "OK. If I'm still dying to have a cigarette in 20 minutes, I can have one, but right now, just for the next 20 minutes, I'm not going to give in". If you are craving a smoke all the time at first you may want to make it 24 hours that you give yourself. It's where the saying "one day at a time" comes from and it's incredibly effective. Cravings don't usually last that long even when they are very intense.

3. This is a biggie. Its best to presume that because you are addicted to cigs now, you will always be an addict, even after you have quit for some time. Do NOT kid yourself that you can "just have a drag or two" and be OK. Doing this had me revert to smoking at age 30 after stopping for two years in my late twenties. If I hadn't reverted, I wonder if I would have ever gotten oral cancer.

Anyway, this is what worked for me. Good luck and remember don't stop trying!

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
#18876 10-30-2005 09:24 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

hi farrah,

maybe this will help motivate you. June, my sister-in-law, has just been placed on a list for dual lung transplant. she is in her early 60's, a long time smoker. June has Pulmonary Fibrosis, which is not caused by smoking. she is on oxygen and mostly uses a wheelchair. when she walks, her finger nails turn blue from lack of oxygen. the blood level gets down to 50%.

3000 folks per year need lungs in the US. 1000 get them.

i didn't know that lung transplants were possible and think it is almost magic that docs can do that. June is lucky in that she still has treatment options... i don't know if lung transplants are available for cancer folks. no one that i've known with lung cancer has been offered a transplant.

i think it's great that you are trying to quit smoking and wish you my best wishes. i know it is a very difficult thing to do. be strong and do your best.

cu,
larryb

'01 diagnosis.. jaw hing and base of tongue. surgery not possible. JHU used radiation and chemo to seemingly rid me of the beast. peg for about 19 months. 100 cases of 24 cans of liquid food. 9 months eating therapy. 3x esophagus stretches. non-smoker. previously a social drinker.
#18877 10-30-2005 12:30 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Farrah:
The bottom line is NO ONE INDIVIDUAL can recommend any procedures, patches or devices that will help you quit smoking, it is an inner thing and very personal. I was blessed 2 years ago, I awoke one morning and had no craving for a cigarette and haven't craved one since. But I enjoy being around someone that is smoking, the aroma, aahhh... It angers me when an individual is making an effort to quit smoking and everyone and their brother is constantly asking how they are coming along with quitting smoking. Don;t they realize that it makes a bad situation worse. It is not easy and it is very personal, Good Luck...
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
#18878 10-30-2005 03:56 PM

Farrah, first of all, good for you for wanting to stop smoking! My doctors, who did not know I used to smoke, told me that smokers have a much great rate of recurrence. I did not follow up to find percentages, as I do not smoke now, but that is something for you to consider seriously. Good luck. It can be done and YOU can do it!

#18879 10-31-2005 12:53 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Farrah,

I quit smoking long enough ago that my doctor told me it wasn't a factor in my cancer. I quit when we moved into our first new house, built just for us. I used the patch (covered by insurance at the time) and hard candy for that oral fixation. Drive to work? Cinnamon disc! Drive home? Cinnamon disc! The new house kept me busy and distracted while I was home. This was probably my 5th or 6th attempt to quit.

Good luck to you.

Lisa

SCC Tongue T1N0M0\Dx 3-10-03
Hemiglossectomy, alloderm graft, modified neck dissectomy 4-14-03
3 Year Survivor!
#18880 10-31-2005 01:14 AM
farrah Offline OP
OP Offline

wow, thanks everyone for your replies! printing this out and reading again whenever i have a craving will help!

no, i was lucky and didn't need chemo or radiation. maybe if i had, it wouldn't be so hard, i'd have more motivation. i woke from surgery, and when the results came back a week later, was told they got it all. but that i have to quit, because it'll probably come back if i continue to smoke. i'm trying the patch, but the cravings are so bad, that i smoke on top of it, for an extra jolt of nicotine. i bought some lozenges, but they hurt my throat when i tried them. maybe now it's healed enough where i can try them again. i quit drinking 4 years ago, and that was a piece of cake compared to quitting smoking.

as for any kind of medication besides the patch, and lozenges, i'll have to ask the doctor when i see him next. thanks so much for your replies, and great suggestions. keep them coming! this is a great forum, and i appreciate your support.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics