Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1824 10-23-2003 08:57 AM
8Dawn Offline OP
OP Offline

My father finished radiation treatments in May for tonsil cancer, tried to keep himself nourished on Scandi shakes, some broth, etc. but was unable to keep his weight or strength up. He didn't want a feeding tube and thought he could manage eating but the pain from treatment continued to give him problems. So in late Sept. he went in for a PEG tube. My question is, he is up to 7 cans of Ensure a day, and is looking much better, but he has yet to gain any weight and he is sleeping now more than ever. He is 71 years old, so I am sure his age has alot to do with his recovery. He is unable to take anything by mouth, due to some lingering ulcers, so he will probably need therapy to start eating again. Just curious to know if there are any older patients out there having a long, difficult recovery like my father?? Everyday, he gets up thinking that maybe today is the day he will begin to feel like his old self, but since March, he has felt horrible. We try to keep him hopeful, telling him that each day he is getting closer to feeling better and stronger.Prayers to everyone going through the battle!

#1825 10-23-2003 10:49 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

8Dawn

My mom (age: 68) also has tonsil cancer - She finished her radiation treatments in May - Still going through chemo - My mom has not had any food by mouth since March - Believe it or not she is surviving on a liquid diet (of course through her PEG) The last round of chemo landed her in the hospital (3 weeks in ICU) We thought we were going to lose her on Oct 8th (very bad case of pneumonia/on a respirator) Guess what? Today she is leaving ICU! My mom made it through one of the worst setbacks (we hope the good continues) - Also, my mom has been very tired (sleeping all day sometimes) since her treatments started back in the spring - It wipes you out - Not everyone experiences the same side-effects - I'm not a medical expert, but one thing I've learned so far is that some people get through it easier than others - I'm sure your dad is experiencing what many others have - Always ask the docs if you're not sure about his condition (which I'm sure you do) Sometimes I feel like a bother when I do, but after they explain what is going on it puts me at ease - I hope the best for you and your family - This is a tough time (I know)- We will get through it - Be strong there are plenty of us out here to help you along.
Hang-in there!
Sue

#1826 10-23-2003 11:31 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

What you are describing is not that protracted a recovery, but actually what might be considered normal by most that have been through what he has. I am 20 years younger than he, and I did not begin to put weight back on for many many months after the end of treatment. The first 6 months after treatment I slept all the time. The body has had a significant amount of destruction done to it by both the disease and the treatments. He needs recovery time. It is a slow p0rocess, but things do eventually return to normal. Keep the nutrition up and let him sleep as much as his body needs. One month of recovery for every week of treatment is not abnormal.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23