Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1822 10-22-2003 01:32 PM
JAD Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok, I'm gonna ask what I think could be considered a 'dumb question' (But the only dumb question is the one not asked, right?).. Can oral cancer metz into breast cancer? I'm asking cuz I was operated on for mucoepedermoid carcinoma in my soft palate 7/31/02. Now I went for a mammogram as I discovered a lump in my left breast. They took the mammogram and it found found 'suspect areas' in both breast, they even had a repeat of the right breast. I was told to go to ultrasound right away. They did a very thorough screening and the doctor said the lumps in my left breast were just cysts. He would like me to repeat the mammogram in 6 months as the tissue in my right breast were 'very dense'. I have asked my regular md about this and he said oral doesn't metz to the breast but it's still in my head. Anyone care to comment?

Crazy in CT,
Julie D.

#1823 10-22-2003 02:01 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Julie:

So, this is a scary tough one and probably feels like a double whammy in a land of complete vulnerability. The answer to your question is that oral cancer most often metastasizes to the regional lymph nodes of the head and neck followed by the occurence of tumors in what is known as the aerodigestive tract which includes the esophagous downward. It can also present as second primary tumors in that region and the lung as a common site.In late stage cancers,metatstatic tumor spread can go to the bones. The breast is typically not a common site for oral cancer to spread to so I hope this is reassuring. Best of luck on the outcome and keep us posted.

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912