Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hello, Like many I haven't been active on the boards much since my fraternity initiation back in 2010. I do lurk every now and then; however like most of us I had a tough go with it emotionally moving on after treatment and my counselor and I came to the conclusion that maybe it would be best to take a break from the boards. So I did, life pretty much has gone back to normal, dating, working, about to complete a my masters, next month; eating what ever I want (minus wasabe) ;), back to enjoying good wine, etc. So far things have been pretty good health wise too (knock on wood), I will be 4 years June 29th.

I was 38 at the time of diagnosis and had pretty good teeth, so I opted to keep them and to see what happens. Being single and a cancer survivor was bad enough trying to date, I couldn't imagine trying to date with no teeth as well! Anyway, like everyone else, I brush with prevident 5000 fluoride, use act fluoride, floss, etc, don't drink soda or orange juice (unless with a straw), and I chew gum regularly preferably Trident extra care with recaldent.

So, so far so good with teeth, 4 years out (knock on wood); however that being said, I have hereditary Gingival Recession to my two front incisors and I was referred to a periodontist. They want to do a gingival resection. I know all about the risks and have read everyone's posts on post dental care; when it comes to the teeth; however this just deals with tissue and not bone. I'm also thinking that since I used a (TOMO IMRT machine), radiation was mainly focused to the back right where the cancer was; so I'm thinking the right back teeth and mandible will be the future problem areas; but since this is the front it should be ok?

I am getting a second opinion, but was just wondering if anyone out there has dealt with this specific issue. I am also aware of the possibility of pre and post hyberbaric treatments, along with prophylactic abx.

Anyway, in the end we are all different, and no case is the same. I wish everyone on here the best of luck and health; many prayers for strength to the newbies there is life after cancer!!!! smile

Respectfully,

Charles

For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin � real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. Happiness is a journey, not a destination.� Souza

Charles

HPV +16 Right Tonsil SCC with 1 Right lymph node. Tonsillectomy and neck resection.

Got 33 radiation doses via tomo machine (58 gry to back of throat, 65 gry to right neck, and 56 gry to left neck) with 2 cisplatin and one carboplatin due to possible hearing loss.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Congratulation on 4 years!

It's best to check with your RO. I had right tonsil cancer, and was radiated bilaterally, 70Gy to primary, basically from the bridge of my nose down to the collar bone, including the front of mouth, jaw, although different areas received different radiation dosages. I did HBOT previously for a tooth abscess/necrosis, but none for any root canals, and will have to treatment for my tooth extractions in the future. My case, and doctors require HBOT. Not all doctors believe HBOT is necessary, and depends on where radiated, the time from radiation, the radiation dosage, usually above 45Gy has an effect on ORN, mainly the mandible, and with injury from oral surgery, tooth extractions, dental implants, rubbing of dentures, use of biphosinates, increase ORN risk.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/hyperbaric.php

Good luck with everything.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Charles, its ok that you havent been hanging out here. Please do not feel you need to explain. Its ok, many members go thru heck, recover and go on with their lives barely looking back. By returning to the forum you give the newer members and others who are in the fight hope for a decent life after the horrible treatments being endured. Thanks for coming back to check in, that gives so many a glimmer of hope smile

Congrats on your 4 year anniversary!!! Wishing you many more happy, healthy years ahead.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Thanks for checking. Always great to hear how well folks do after the war. as to any oral procedure. Make sure you get some good experts talking before touching. ORN is a disease of the bone but as Paul says there are other things that can set it off. Take care.

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I haven't had a resection but I do have a bit of recession.

So here's my story. I have veneers on 4 of my front teeth. I have always had a gummy smile (ultimately this usually means they can cut back the gum because often there is more tooth underneath. My daughter had this done a few years ago as she had a fair amount of tooth under the gum).

I do too. So I have to have these veneers replaced. Partly because of rads, and partly because I have actually had them a long time and really they should be changed. They look good, but I have a small chip that is annoying me.

Anyway, I figured I would consider having a periodontist remove a mm, or two of the gum as well to make for a better veneer fit and look.

(my teeth are great BTW - so far - touch wood and ALL that)

Anyway - before even going there I consulted my dental oncologist - I go to him for everything as he actually works out of my cancer center - they have a team, and this is what they do ALL DAY EVERY DAY... cancer patients - particularly H&N cancer patients see them only. So they have major experience with this stuff.

So I asked him... on the gum trimming (again... they are very pleased with my teeth and overall oral health) and his response...

I wouldn't - ergh...

We were even comparing caps to veneers ( my insurance covers caps... not veneers)

On the caps... he said... move invasive - I wouldn't...

ergh...

Now my work is elective. Yours is likely necessary. So I would see a dental oncologist if possible.

The concern is healing...

have a good one

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23