I'm new to the board even tho I've visited site.
Brian has been very helpful & I thank him.
Nov 03 - Had SCC right tongue excised. Post op check clean. No eating or speech impacts. Late Dec 04 - recurrence base of tongue. Got worse fast.
Feb 04 - Had subtotal glossectomy with reconstruction of tongue (radial forearm free flap) and floor of mouth defect, left neck dissection, pharyngoplasty, and mandibular osteotomy. Neotongue was sutured to floor of mouth. PEG tube was inserted which I still have. Rads completed May 04. Complications included two bouts of cellulitis infections in June and Oct 04 as well as much mucous and coughing which was likely the cause of an inguinal hernia Feb 05 which is OK now after surgery.
This held up speech and swallowing therapy which began Dec 04. Bite blocks, neck stretching, massage, and swallowing exercises got me to pass Mod Barium Swallow test late Feb 05 and doubled the opening of my mouth which was super tight.
Therapist noted that I would most likely be limited to foods that I could use my syringe with since my tongue cannot propel the food back for swallowing due to its immobility which means protracted dependence on PEG tube. Speech clarity is limited for same reason since d,t,k, n, and ng sounds cannot be clearly made.
Therapist just showed me an excerpt from a swallowing therapy book that seemed to suggest that the tongue could be surgically "freed" from floor of mouth to provide movement. If this is true, then this would open up new avenues in the ability to eat and speak. Would like to know if this is possible with a "reconstructed" tongue and if anyone has had this done. If they have an immobile tongue, how do they manage to eat anything but liquids?
I'm grateful for the progress I've made and that there has been no recurrence to date, but is there is any chance for improvement, I see no harm in asking.