Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17632 06-13-2005 02:52 AM
Sue F Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello my names is Sue, my husband has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 Eppiglottal and Tongue cancer(he is Carl g)( my husband had suffered for two years with a poersistant sore throat that was misdiagnosed as acid reflux), my father in law with lung cancer and my mother in law with breast cancer. My husband just had some biopsys done and he doesnt want to eat much, I understand he is in some pain, they gave him liquid tylenol with codine, I know that the road ahead will be difficult, I bought him some ensure and boost supplemental drinks, I was wondering what else i can offer him that will keep him hydrated and nourished,we are doing broth and jello, and soft eggs, and of course lots of water but i really would like to make things he would enjoy so he will be in the best of shape for whats ahead, chemo and radiation for 6 weeks possibly 2x a day. Im really nervous about what is ahead and would love to recieve some advice from patients and caregivers. Thank you.

husband dx may 18, 2005, SCC stage 4, including Epiglottis,Tongue, Throat and Lymph Nodes bi-laterly, will be starting Chemo and Rad. soon
#17633 06-13-2005 07:54 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Sue-
Welcome to the site and I know you'll receive a lot of support. It is a scary time with a lot of information thrown at you especially with everything else on your plate! Read as much as you can handle from the archives. This is a great place to start and you will receive answers to question you didn't even know you should ask. There are lots of tempting receipes in there too. Don't let the staging frighten you there are some Stage 4 survivors out there! There is hope! - Kris

SCC Stage IV left tonsil neck disection 3/02 radiation finished 6/02 chemo finished 9/02
Stage 2A left breast cancer 3/09, chemo and radiation, finished treatment 2/7/10 -Stage 2 right beast cancer 10/14 chemo and radiation
Every day is still a gift :-)
#17634 06-13-2005 04:19 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello Sue

You have found THE site for oral cancer information and support. It is disturbing that cancer can be misdiagnosed for so long but now your husband can begin the treatment to cure the disease.

There is a lot of info on the American Cancer Institute about diet for cancer patients and how to make food more appetising and nourishing. Also recipes.

He is fortunate to have you to accompany him on his journey and I wish you well. Love and light from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
#17635 06-13-2005 04:23 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sue, I'm learning by trial and error each day what John can get down and trying everything I can find on this forum. Lots and Lots of ice cream
{see Danny Boy's smoothies}I am doing homemade broths with pureed veggies [real thin]base of Swanson's canned chicken stock or make your own. John loves barley and rice added in. I've also been told that soy milk is very healthy so I am gonna try that in a smoothie to see if he likes it.Keep asking questions and you will get good information. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#17636 06-14-2005 12:43 AM
Sue F Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you everyone for the info, the archives have alot to offer, Im also thankful for the encouragement, I sometimes get overwhelmed when I think of whats ahead and wish we could just go back to before the 13th of may. The strangest thing....when my father in law was in the hospital, before he was even diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, my husband had been doing a family geneology and had found some very old family photos with his great grandfather, his dads grandfather and some uncles, and my father in law looked at the photo and said...."You know everyone of them died from cancer" I will never forget that moment. We had never thought there was any cancer in my husbands side of the family. Well enough, I am resolved to be as postive as i can be and to be my husbands strenght when he needs me to be, and my childrens as well. I will do some smoothies today, I know he likes them. Thanks again, I know there will be times i will need your support and strenght as well. God Bless, Sue F

husband dx may 18, 2005, SCC stage 4, including Epiglottis,Tongue, Throat and Lymph Nodes bi-laterly, will be starting Chemo and Rad. soon
#17684 06-13-2005 04:23 PM
JAM Offline

Sue, I'm learning by trial and error each day what John can get down and trying everything I can find on this forum. Lots and Lots of ice cream
{see Danny Boy's smoothies}I am doing homemade broths with pureed veggies [real thin]base of Swanson's canned chicken stock or make your own. John loves barley and rice added in. I've also been told that soy milk is very healthy so I am gonna try that in a smoothie to see if he likes it.Keep asking questions and you will get good information. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#17685 06-14-2005 12:43 AM
Sue F Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you everyone for the info, the archives have alot to offer, Im also thankful for the encouragement, I sometimes get overwhelmed when I think of whats ahead and wish we could just go back to before the 13th of may. The strangest thing....when my father in law was in the hospital, before he was even diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, my husband had been doing a family geneology and had found some very old family photos with his great grandfather, his dads grandfather and some uncles, and my father in law looked at the photo and said...."You know everyone of them died from cancer" I will never forget that moment. We had never thought there was any cancer in my husbands side of the family. Well enough, I am resolved to be as postive as i can be and to be my husbands strenght when he needs me to be, and my childrens as well. I will do some smoothies today, I know he likes them. Thanks again, I know there will be times i will need your support and strenght as well. God Bless, Sue F

#17728 06-13-2005 04:23 PM
JAM Offline

:
#17729 06-14-2005 12:43 AM
Sue F Offline OP
OP Offline

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23