Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi my husband is six months post treatment six weeks radiotherapy and weekly chemo. He was diagnosed with nasophyangeal cancer in 2008, treated with the same as above, had all the short term side effects, and was left with no saliva, difficulty in swallowing, requiring no spicey food and lots of sauce with sloppy food, unable to drink alcohol apart from guiness. He was extremly healthy and the only symtom was an ear infection, eventually after treatment he regained his health, but never had the same amount of energy.
On feb 14th 2013 5years to the day of starting treatment, at the routine checkup, the tumor had returned.
We are feeling very frustrated as half way through treatment he got a headache and it has become more severe over the months, we have told all the team who arnt able to give us any help, they just say he is a rare case ect. We have seen a neuroligist who was great but the medication he suggested has had no effect. He has tried amitryptaline, propanalol, morphine, codiene, paraceatamol and brufen, non of these take the pain away.
We thankfully requested a peg this time, as the last he lost four stones and had an Ng tube during treatment then a peg after which he much preferred, so as he still cant swallow, has been a godsend.
His neck is stiff and he can hardly open his mouth,I am trying to find others that have endured this awful treatment twice and that have these side effects and any suggestions to relieve these symtoms.
Thankyou
Julial

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Julia, I'm so sorry to read about what your husband is going through, and you with him. I'm not sure how they're related chemically, but my thought is that amitryptaline works differently from what I've been prescribed for cluster headaches - namely Sumatriptan. It's a migraine drug and really does the job. I call it the giant killer. You might ask about it.

For clusters at least (and this may not apply at all to your husband's situation, but I figure it can't hurt to ask) breathing pure oxygen at a high flow rate for 10-15 minutes also works very well. You'd have to get a rebreather mask though. A nasal cannula will not give him enough to do the trick. Again, just a suggestion.

Please keep us posted.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

No there - welcome. Just a heads up - there are quite a few who've been through this treatment more than once. I'm sure so wine else will be by soon smile sorry he's having so much pain. Hopefully they will get their a together and deal with it for him. Hugs and best of luck

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23