Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ambra Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

and am SO hoping it is nothing, that is just some version of acne...

It is right under the jawbone, embedded in the skin (I think), maybe an inch of the center line of my face, to the left side (my cancer was on the left). I have just quickly looked up lymph nodes in this area and we do have them, they are called submental. But I don't know how deep they are, surely they are not in the skin? Please tell me that they are somewhere deeper. What should I look for in terms of hardness/softness, movability etc.? I am still pretty numb in that general area, so wouldn't be able to say if it hurts or not.

I have just finished my rads, on Monday. My skin has been breaking out in that area, and I have always had acne issues. There are quite a few breakouts there, more on the face than on the neck, but still some on the neck. Quite logical since I have been using various greasy creams. Had I felt this pre cancer, I would have taken it for one of those acne breakouts than don't break through the top of the skin.

I have an (unrelated) dermatologist appointment on Thursday next week. Do I wait till then to ask him to have a look at it? Do I call someone on Monday? And whom - my RO, or ENT/surgeon or? I do not want to look like the boy who cried wolf over what is hopefully an acne. But I am completely freaking out. Really having issues holding myself together and not completely falling apart. One of my first thoughts were " I should have insisted on chemo".

Hopefully it is just an acne, but boy do I get a taste how the rest of my life will be fearing every small thing.

Last edited by Ambra; 12-13-2013 07:39 PM.

36, female, left tonsil HPV+ SCC, T2N1
8/28/13 SCC in left tonsil
9/12/13 surgery:TORS and selective neck dissection (levels II-IV), 23 nodes removed
9/18/13 post surgery biopsy: 2mm clear margins, a 7mm lymph node positive in level IV, no ECL
10/28/13 rad begins, 30 treatments, tomotherapy
12/09/13 radiation ends!
2/10/14 papillary thyroid cancer
2/26/14 PET shows clear neck other than thyroid cancer, but with high uptake in an ovarian cyst
2/27/14 thyroidectomy
3/5/14 pelvic ultrasound

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I don't know how long its been there, but as always, the best thing to do is tell your doctor. Call to see if they, MO, RO or ENT, can move you to an earlier appointment, otherwise, wait to show the dermatologist, and it may even dissappear by then. It's common to have swelling under the chin from lymphatic fluid build-up due to radiation and or surgery, mine was the size of a golf ball, also called a turkey neck. I showed my RO, who discounted it as being cancer, so I just ignored it, never showed on any scans, and took a year to somewhat disappear. There is also the submandibular salivary gland tat could be enlarged or duct blocked. It's difficult to tell by the feel of a lymph if it's is cancerous or not, except for a very skilled doctor, and could be moveable, especially when small or fixed, firm, when it attaches to structures, but not always. It's more the shape, tear drop, center thickness they rely on, I believe, and out of my scope.

You mention skin breakdown, and could be an infection also, such as an abcess, cellulitis, so monitor that for fever, increase in size, redness, spider veins, and any infection can get serous rather quickly. I had an abcess surgically removed from the side of my chin, and with a compromised immune system you are more susceptible to infection, which can go systemic if not treated properly.

Good luck with everything.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi ambra I had a similar bump that moved with the skin it turned out to be a blackhead (zit) after rads the skin is tougher and doesn't let them pop mine lasted two months before I finally was able to pop it lol had to pull out blackhead with tweezers lol hopefully that is what you have my lymph node wouldn't move with skin was deeper part of muscle...
good luck ken

46 yr old non smoker moderate drinker
Lump on neck
Dx branchial cyst by fna mar 2012
Op to remove dec2012 biopsy back hpv 16 scc
Starting rads jan 31 no chemo docs say?
Finished mar13
Pet scan june 30 NED :)))
Back to work and enjoying life
Checkup aug 12 all good
Ambra Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Paul and Doolitle!

The damn thing is hard, about 1/3" diameter in size. It is right under the skin - that is why it feels like an underskin zit, and that is what I keep telling myself. It does move with the skin too. My anatomy knowledge is horrible, but am hoping that the lymph nodes in that area are not that shallow but hopefully somewhat deeper.

I will meet a personal friend of my mine tomorrow that happens to be a neurologist and ask her at least about the location of lymph nodes and if this could be one or not. Hopefully not and I can calm down I will take it from there to see if I am going to try to call someone from my cancer team on Monday or wait till I see the dermatologist on Thursday. My first scheduled followup is with my ENT/surgeon on January 6th and I doubt that it could be moved up earlier for this. Hmm, maybe I will be call the nurse who works with my RO on Monday.

Manny apologies for my ramblings - am very scared now.

Last edited by Ambra; 12-13-2013 08:28 PM.

36, female, left tonsil HPV+ SCC, T2N1
8/28/13 SCC in left tonsil
9/12/13 surgery:TORS and selective neck dissection (levels II-IV), 23 nodes removed
9/18/13 post surgery biopsy: 2mm clear margins, a 7mm lymph node positive in level IV, no ECL
10/28/13 rad begins, 30 treatments, tomotherapy
12/09/13 radiation ends!
2/10/14 papillary thyroid cancer
2/26/14 PET shows clear neck other than thyroid cancer, but with high uptake in an ovarian cyst
2/27/14 thyroidectomy
3/5/14 pelvic ultrasound

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Try not to be scared - definitely have it check out... But hopefully it's just a zit - it could even be a node but an upset one. Your body's been through a lot chances are you're still glowing in the dark. Because of the radiation and all that's been done to you hour nodes may be inflamed etc... Or you may have a bit of an infection - it may even be a clip or a stitch or an air pocket. Not sure if you know what they do to you during a neck dissection but I apparently have a few clips inside my neck.. Ala Frankenstein style... One is actually in my scar line and you can see it through the scar it's so superficial. Here was also an air bubble on my collar bone - tine - maybe 2mm - that went away- it was a hold over from my surgery. They don't only cut where your scar is - they pull the skin away from your face and cut in to your internal throat. So there are all sorts of fun things in there after their done. Hugs again try not to worry. But do have it check out - even if it's just for peace of mind

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Ambra, do your very best to stay busy to keep your mind off worrying and thinking "what if". I know its not easy to avoid worrying about this but you can get past this fear with a little effort. Try to limit how long you contemplate the bump then "change the channel" and think about more positive things.

The bump could be anything. Get yourself checked out and then you can relax and focus on your recovery. You just finished rads so you have a very long road until you are back on your feet. Focus on what is controllable (your daily intake).

Hang in there, better days are right around the corner smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Sometimes a lump is just a lump.

Ambra, you've already taken positive steps, like coming here, and planning to talk to your neurologist friend. It couldn't hurt to try to get your appointment moved up especially if it can relieve some of the anxiety of waiting. Just waiting and worrying about anything is a definite crazy-maker. Tell them this if/when you call about possibly moving up your appointment. People cancel appointments all the time so they might be able to fit you in someplace. Things to get better. So keep moving and taking positive steps.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi, Ambra,

You are in the phase of treatment where every change sets off alarms and tons of anxiety. Since you just completed radiation, I agree with everyone here. Get seen as soon as you can to relieve your anxiety as much as finding out what the bump may be. My husband had numerous post radiation infections that presented as lumps, bumps, oozing and fever. You are at increased risk of infection from the radiation as your body's ability to fight off the bugs is decreased. Be vigilant so that any infection can be handled quickly.

Waiting is the HARDEST part in all this. Keep yourself occupied with something enjoyable to get you through the next few days until you see your doctor. As far as WHOM to see--whomever can see you soonest! Each of your doctors will be in communication with the others.

Stay positive, one step at a time.

Best-
Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Ambra we all understand the fears when something reminds us of recurrence. Don't beat yourself up over that. On the other hand don't allow yourself to self diagnose. Dangerous territory to walk down. Make your appointment as soon as possible for sanity but focus on your recovery. That is where the energy needs to go. Not worry - again we have all been there.

Age 55 HPV 16+ SCC, BOT 050613 Stage IV
great team at OSU
Tx 6 weeks of rad started June 3
8 weeks of chemo started May 28
RTOG Phase III trial Cetuximab group.
Treatment completed 7/16/2013
PET Scan completed 10/08/13
Results discussed 10/11/13
NED - Free but am I
Next part of the journey?
1year PET 10/24/14 NED
Good reports now 10 years out.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hey Ambra,

Definitely contact the doctors office. We're not doctors but I'd be surprised if it was sinister based on finishing treatment just last week and your docs doing a thorough exam. It's one of two things in my thinking. It is what you think it is as in a zit/ingrown hair. You were using a lot of creams for the neck burn and quite possibly you have a clogged pore or the like. OR... since you had a neck dissection and removal of lymph nodes (I looked back at some of your OP's), this could be the beginning of lymphedema, or "turkey neck" as we H&N'ers call it. I have a golf ball sized lump under my chin that's sometimes painful and causes pressure. It will eventually ease as my body finds new channels for the lymph fluid to go.

At any rate, try to distract yourself until you can call tomorrow. Also send an email or use mychart.com that JH has. I rarely wait more than 24 hours for responses.

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

Cardiac bypass 11/07
Cardiac stents 10/2012
Dx'd 11/30/2012 Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+
Palatine Tonsillectomy/Biopsies 12-21-12
Selective Neck Dissection/Lingual Tonsillectomy/biopsies TORS 2/7/13
Emergency Surgery/Bleeding 2/18/13
3/13/2013 30rads/6chemo
Finished Tx 4/24/13
NED Since
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3