Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#174653 11-29-2013 11:32 AM
OP Offline

Im 3 months out of radiation and chemo for oral cancer. I am new at this and looking for someone to talk too. I do not have a support group in my area for this type of cancer. I am experiencing a lot of pain at tumor sight and my hearing has been deeply impaired. The dry mouth is really taking a toll on my mood. Feel miserable anyone out there to chat with would be great help. Im 63 and retired military.Thank you

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Bill, There is a SPOHNC, Support for people with oral head and neck cancer, in Seattle, WA. With any pain, your doctors should be told, and rule out cancer, which can simply be done by exam, not 100%, but ruled out many of my concerns until my post treatment scan. Three months is still early, and can take up to two years to recover, some things never, and some things recover sooner. It takes time, basically. Keep doing what you did during treatment, not sure what, but there are many things to do that may lessen the severity if you don't know or may be doing already. Sounds like you may have had Cisplatin?

You can make your own post in "introduction" or this one moved, so you can get more responses. Good luck.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

OP Offline

Paul Thank You. I pulled a name at random as I dont know how to use chat rooms. Not sure how to send this message out to everyone. Im aware of a group in Seattle but Im a hundred miles away and also had a mild stroke prior to treatment beginning. Unable to drive that distance without help. Not a good year!

Sorry to hear Bill, that is rough. Use any name you want, just don't use mine lol. I'll ask ChristineB, an OCF administrator, and cancer survivor, fighter, to move it, if applicable, wherever, being it's your first post. We do add to other posts, but sometimes it carries on and on, which is called hijacking lol, and can take away from the original poster, and guilty of it many times myself. I post on the new responses, not knowing it's not part of the thread sometimes, No big deal occasionally.

ChristineB usually reads the posts, but will IM. Sorry for hijacking smile

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Bill, I'm a little more than one year out of treatment for BOT Cancer and I'm 70. I just started getting a little saliva last week. No saliva IS really depressing. They tell you ahead of time but until you experience it you don't realize how important saliva is. My radiation Oncologist said that everyone recovers differently but also said that any recovery of saliva and taste will take place in the first 6 months. Mine didn't and did start just recently. Others on this forum relate changes after two years.

The reality is that everyone IS different and you'll just have to wait and see.

The other depressing thing is that it seems that every Doctor has a somewhat different, or radically different, opinion.

My ENT Doc really gave me little hope of saliva improvement but he did prescribe pilocarpine which helped some.

I use XyliMelts at night.

I'd also recommend that you take 2000mg of American Ginseng a day. Mayo did a clinical study on Chemo patients and it helped with their energy levels. Helped me for that and other things.

There are clinical studies by reputable cancer treatment providers (MD Anderson, Sloan-Kettering, Mayo)that show that acupuncture helps in starting saliva flow. I've communicated with cancer treatment survivors for whom it has worked but I tried four different protocols and none worked for me. I have not been able to find out how age affects the acupuncture effectiveness or for how long the saliva continues to be produced. One of my correspondents had success but had to keep up with the treatment and when she could no longer afford to the saliva decreased.

Having only one set of molars left after the others were pulled for fear the radiation would harm them, having no saliva, and having taste greatly affected, everything tastes really salty, I'm on a primary diet of drinking Boost VHC combined with Scandishake three times a day. That has gotten very old.

All I can say is what others on this board have said: hang in there and hope for the best.

Stage 3-4 Squamous BOT diagnosed 3/19/12
Molars removed 3/29/12
(Cisplatin) inpatient: 4/11/12-4/16/12; 5/2/12-5/9/12; 5/29/12-6/4/12
Feeding tube: 8/9/12-11/21/12
Radiation 8/10/12-8/29/12
Chemo 1X/week 8/10/12-8/22/12
Last PET/CT clear: 9/17/13
OP Offline

Thanks! Needed hear this from others. Had all the teeth removed for same reasons prior to stroke. Ill keep reading and gather info to try and stay on top of this.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Bill, welcome to OCF! You are not alone in this. We will help you with your recovery.

As a survivor Ive been where you are and I know how frustrating recovery can be. Seems like every time you have a couple better days that a set back hits. Everyone is different, you will hear that over and over. Even a few others the same age with the same diagnosis and treatment plan as you can have very different results and recoveries.

A complete recovery can take every bit of 2 years. Im sure if you look back to when you first finished rads you are doing alot better than back then. Recovery is full of ups and downs. Try to focus on what you can control which is your intake and attitude. Every single day for at least the first year of recovery you need to take in a minimum of 2500 calories and 48-80 oz of water daily. Dont skimp and try to play catch up the next day as tomorrow your catch up usually will never happen. Do you have a feeding tube? If so you should have a pump, if not ask for a prescription to get one from a medical supply company. If you dont have a feeding tube push yourself to drink more. Ive gone thru it and know its not easy but you must force yourself to drink to get well. Your intake will help you to bounce back. If losing weight is an issue you need to bump up the daily calories to a minimum of 3500 daily. I know it sounds like too much but after what your body has been thru it is necessary in order to rebuild your battered body.

Try this milkshake out. Its loaded with calories and tastes pretty good. Dont be afraid to drink 2 or even 3 of these per day without fear of gaining a ton of weight. many weeks I drank 2 or 3 and never gained an ounce.

Easy to Eat Food List

(All measurements are estimates)

Giant High Calorie Choc-Peanut Butter Milkshake

3 or 4 cups chocolate ice cream (regular/full fat type)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth type)
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 or 2 cups whole milk (can substitute half and half to add even more calories)
1 scoop carnation instant breakfast
1 scoop high protein whey powder
(check with doc if this is ok)

Blend this extra long to make it very smooth and creamy so it goes down easier. If the shake is too thick, add more milk to thin it down to what works best for you.

Hang in there, things really will get better.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Bill - another big welcome to the family, because that's what you just joined. It's a big one and many, many are here to help.

Like others have said, everyone is different, we all have different symptoms and recover at different rates. But the one thing that stays constant regardless is that maintaining a positive attitude makes all the difference in the world.

I'm not that far behind you, but having lost all taste I'm pretty much surviving on Boost and Ensure. I know how boring eating only that can get. I also have a horrible taste in my mouth about 90% of the time. Another cancer survivor gave me a heads up to get some lemon drops and keep one in your mouth, so far it seems to be helping. Since I let them dissolve slowly I got the sugar free kind so I wouldn't do further damage to teeth.

Likewise do you have any fluoride trays for your teeth? I hear you need to do daily fluoride treatments for the next several years as the radiation demineralizes the teeth.

Somebody else told me get used to the idea of carrying a water bottle with you everywhere you go, sipping on water continuously may be all you can do for the dry mouth right now. I have some of the old formula Biotene Dry Mouth Rinse, but so far that hasn't been that helpful.

Lastly, what branch and what did you do in the service. I flew B-52's as a bombardier back in the day.

Thank you for your service. Now, let's get this recovery thing whipped.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good

OP Offline

Hi Tony, I retired in 89 as AECS. As elecrrican worked on P-3 A-7 F-14 EA6B aircraft and on a lot of carriers.

just finished a feeding as I still have a tube. looking forward to A good report on my biopsy Mon. AM By the way, I do have semi OK taste. some are stronger than others.

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Welcome, Bill, sorry you have to go through this.

FWIW, I'm 74.

Dry mouth can be greatly alleviated by chewing any gum sweetened with Xylitol. If you get used to checking the ingredients on the package of everything you put in your mouth, (you should) you'll find others, but I've used Trident tropical mix/blast/whateverinhell they call it. Also, Icebreaker mints makes several products, but like all mints, the benefit stop when the mint is all gone.

I try to ensure that there is always a pack of each (mints and gum) close when I'm driving anywhere.

I've met a couple of guys who've been through this, they both said it took them 5 years to recover taste fully.

In the past 6 years, I had three recurrences and have been successful at beating it back each time, but each time has involved prolonged chemo and that has always cost me a chunk of the gains in recovering taste, so my taste is still only about 60% recovered overall.

Some foods are strange, like Steak. With steak, the taste is fully developed, but only for about the first 4 or 5 bites. After than, it VERY quickly becomes tasteless.

Last edited by Bart; 11-30-2013 02:30 PM.

My intro: http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbt...3644#Post163644

09/09 - Dx OC Stg IV
10/09 - Chemo/3 Cisplatin, 40 rad
11/09 - PET CLEAN
07/11 - Dx Stage IV C. (Liver)
06/12 - PET CLEAN
09/12 - PET Dist Met (Liver)
04/13 - PET CLEAN
06/13 - PET Dist Met (Liver + 1 lymph node)
10/13 - PET - Xeloda ineffective
11/13 - Liver packed w/ SIRI-Spheres
02/14 - PET - Siri-Spheres effective, 4cm tumor in lymph-node
03/15 - Begin 15 Rads
03/24 - Final Rad! Woot!
7/27/14 Bart passed away. RIP!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260