Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I had a FNB, the result were inconclusive. But I have to say I knew I wasn't going to get an answer from this procedure during the procedure. I could tell the physician was not very experienced at it, he seemed unsure of himself and afterwards while trying to get the specimen to the slides there was confusion between him and the nurse on number of slides, type of slides, and the solution to be added to the slides. I didn't feel comfortable with him and think that if a more experienced physician would have done the procedure I could have had conclusive results because the mass was huge, hard to miss. I don't blame him, everybody has to learn and start somewhere, but there are other questions I have after the procedure, that is for another thread smile Did go under to have a frozen biopsy of area later (different physician) which turned into A LOT more and I woke up with new news and in a whole different world!

AGE 38 10-2012 thru 3-2012 swollen lymph node,painful jaw and ear,2 antibiotics,X-ray,CAT scan,needle biopsy,scope, no answers
3-4-13 tonsillectomy and selective neck dissection, DX R tonsil SCC,METS to 1 lymph node,BOT,HPV+, stage IV
TX 35 RAD,3 chemo cisplatin/Taxol started 4-8-13
rad end 5-29-13

Chit, back on topic, lol. The neck dissection was most def the smallest of any of the issues or procedures I had, it was a walk in the park and my only side effect is a slight strange feeling on that side of my face, I wouldn't even call it pain, I am sure its the nerves over there. While he was in there he took tonsils and had to "pick" the cancer off of some nerves and of course took a few lymph nodes. Very unlike the FNB I give all the praise to my surgeon, I think he is an amazing surgeon. I watched a video on a similar surgery and I am amazed at how he was able to do what he did with so little after effects. Healing from the tonsillectomy was 100X worse. I realize one bad surgeon and one bad move could result in drastically different results.

AGE 38 10-2012 thru 3-2012 swollen lymph node,painful jaw and ear,2 antibiotics,X-ray,CAT scan,needle biopsy,scope, no answers
3-4-13 tonsillectomy and selective neck dissection, DX R tonsil SCC,METS to 1 lymph node,BOT,HPV+, stage IV
TX 35 RAD,3 chemo cisplatin/Taxol started 4-8-13
rad end 5-29-13
c0ffee Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm leaning towards the selected (supraomahyoid) neck dissection. My brother is very risk intolerant. I don't think he would have peace of mind knowing that the lymph nodes could harbor tumor, or provide a pathway for metastasis.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. This site is wonderful, and full of such kind-hearted, generous folks.

Tom

Brother of patient with posterior/lateral tongue SqCC:
Biopsy 4/2013 - High grade dysplasia
Excision 5/2013 - Microinvasive SqCC
Lymph node bx 11/2013 - Negative
pT1N0
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Go for it and good luck!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My tonsil removal was the worst part of my ND as well rosymonroe.But would have it all again if it were warranted.

. Radio/Erbitex:(35/6.) .6/13 RSSC with met.to left neck.9/11/13 MND with left tonsil removal.9/18/13 margins failed, .Dx Terminal. 10/22/13 Dx.StageIII Lymphedema. Carboplatin/Taxol, cancer progression,WECF
3/14/2014 given 2 weeks, 3 maybe. All the veins in my head are slowly leakinging due to Ehlers Danlos syndrome. lucky thing is that my spinal fluid leaking out my nose is slowing the build up of pressure in my huge, huge head. you would not believe.

Take the less aggressive biopsy first. You can always still have the ND if the biopsy is not conclusive. I had a bad experience with my ND IE: Bleeding , lymphedema , fibrosis , trisimus (lock jaw cant spell the less scary term), pain ,loss of motion, disfigurement. Now I don't want to scare anyone. But just wanted to point out that while a lot of people have little complications with their ND, There are a few of us who had bad outcomes. Know your surgeons track record. Don't be afraid to ask hard questions or get second opinions. Know exactly what he/she intends to do. read all of the possible complications. associated with the surgery. Shawn U.

. Radio/Erbitex:(35/6.) .6/13 RSSC with met.to left neck.9/11/13 MND with left tonsil removal.9/18/13 margins failed, .Dx Terminal. 10/22/13 Dx.StageIII Lymphedema. Carboplatin/Taxol, cancer progression,WECF
3/14/2014 given 2 weeks, 3 maybe. All the veins in my head are slowly leakinging due to Ehlers Danlos syndrome. lucky thing is that my spinal fluid leaking out my nose is slowing the build up of pressure in my huge, huge head. you would not believe.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

The problem with the less aggressive approach is the fact that you waste time if it is cancer. A biopsy can take anywhere from a week to two to get the results - not to mention booking the appointment for the biopsy if it's not something that can be done on the spot. (my vet gets them within the day can you imagine?) So if it does come back positive, you've wasted more time because then you have to meet with the dr. for the results, and then book the surgery and how long you wait for that depends on how busy your dr. is (most of the good ones are quite busy)so you could end up waiting up to 6 weeks from beginning to end, and that can be a deadly amount of time.

Sunder - I totally hear what you have gone through and it hasn't been good, but you have other mitigating factors that play a role in your overall health this complicates matters immensely.

Cancer can be aggressive. Treat it aggressively. I know a neck dissection seams a little drastic for a "don't know" situation. But if there is a very good chance it is cancer, then doing what has to be done right out of the gate is the best way to go.

One Dr. said recently - I've never had a patient complain I've over treated them... it's usually the opposite I hear complaints about.

hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I am in the middle of the 2 above positions, as I had a bilateral ND based on positive PET results for nodes in both sides. Turns out it was a false positive. I don't think, however, that I could have rested easy without having taken all the steps recommended by the surgeon.

On the other hand, I was given the option of radiation as my nodes came back clear and had clear margins, but the tumor was large and deep. I chose not to do the radiation, but it seemed logical (basically my risk of recurrence would drop from 2 in 5 to one in 5, but would cause a whole lot of damage).

The ND, for me, was mostly physical recovery which I had control over (ie how diligent I was in my PT). I took control, and while it took time, most has been recovered from and I plan on the remainder being beaten into submission by the time I hit the 2 year mark.

There are always risks with any choice, it's a question of which ones, and the consequences one can live with.

Tina
Diag: Aug. 13/12
T3N0M0
50% + glossectomy and bilateral radical neck dissection, removal of nodes zones I - V
Surgery October 11/12
Chemo/rad on hold due to clear margins and nodes
Sept 21/13 clear CT with anomaly thought to be the artery, being watched closely.
Dec 16/13 - anomaly confirmed artery, all clear
nickname: "get 'r done"
Plans: kick cancer's butt

I too had selective bilateral neck dissection only 6 weeks ago. I had a CT result indicating effected nodes on both sides of neck. I do not regret having the ND at all. All 87 nodes and one salivary gland removed came back negative for cancer. I would have worried myself sick had we not done the ND.

48 yo female, quit smoking 4yrs ago, light drinker, Stage 2 SCC, Bx3, Dx 8/22/13, surgery 9/11/13. Partial glossectomy, bilateral neck dissection levels 1-4. Tongue reconstruction with flap from forearm. 87 Lymph nodes CLEAR. Tongue margins good at 1 cm. No further treatment planned. Monthly monitoring planned for upcoming year then periodic monitoring for next 4
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users