Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
ragz4u Offline OP
OP Offline

Met with Oncologist and Radiologist at the first CCC this week.
In total agreement on treatment with the Oncologist and our ENT surgeon is on board, too. He wants to use Erbitux once a week before radiation. Six week in total. We can live with that. The radiologist wants to use IMRT, not just on the right side where the tonsil cancer was removed, but also on the left side. That threw us both, as the ENT said he felt with clean pathology results, only the one side needed radiation. Pet scan before surgery clean, except tonsil, and all pathology clean except right tonsil. So frustrating I just want to scream.

Thursday we go for the second opinion at The Siteman Cancer Center. We are very curious how they will approach the radiation. Because our ENT was with Siteman for 12 years, he knows they will suggest the Erbitux, but not sure about the other.

We are planning on beginning treatments at one of the CCC next week after deciding on the place and course of treatment. Does anyone know if the suggestion of radiating both sides is even necessary? That does not leave us many options down the road. But, this one Dr wants no chance of having to go down this road again! Thoughts, please?

Nancy

Wife, caregiver
Diagnosed 5-7-13
SCC right tonsil HPV+
No node or tissue involvement
Surgery 5-20-13 removed both tonsils, neck dissection
Pathology Clear of cancer, no other involvement
tumor right at 4cm, so was staged T3N0M0
Treatments suggested both radiation and chemo
Have not begun that journey
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

There could be involvement bilaterally, due to the highly lymphatic area, and musculature of the tonsil into the BOT, that can spread to both sides, more so with BOT near midlline. Most tonsils cancers are on the left side, but can be right ipsilateral or bilateral. The tumor is large at T3, and that usually has higher rate of metastases, lymph nodes involvement, but see N0, but could be microscopic, and undetectable now. I wouldn't want to go through treatment twice, I actually did. Your first shot is the best shot.

Is this a trial with Erbitux? It's really not the current recommended first time treatment, outside clinical trials. I would want to add some other chemo, in addition, like Taxotere. Cisplatin was recommended, in addition, but read something from MSKCC with disappointing findings with this combination, but there are other findings noting a higher response rate. Chemo will add 8-22% better response to treatment, depending on type.

I had bilateral IMRT 70 Gy with T1N2bM0 disease. They might do lesser to the left side, and cervical neck.

Good luck.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

ragz4u Offline OP
OP Offline

At the tumor meeting the Erbitux was discussed and chosen as drug of first choice for Jim. Even with the tumor so large, nothing else was affected. The surgeon even cut a deeper margin looking for cells elsewhere. Because of age and very good health, this is what was proposed. Of course, we have not had our second opinion at Siteman. I have to believe our surgeon when he says it was a clean cut and removel. The pathology looks good with no evidense of spread. Our hope is that with radiation and Erbitux, we will get rid of any micrscopic cells remaining. Am I being naive?

Nancy

Wife, caregiver
Diagnosed 5-7-13
SCC right tonsil HPV+

Not really, sometimes that's what you have to do is put the trust and faith in your doctors, and get a 2nd opinion lol. They know better than me. I know a few that had Erbitux alone, stage 4 tonsil, and are doing fine, but that was a few years years ago, maybe a year and a half, and I don't see as many, other than for metatastic, and recurrent cancer, who did Cisplatin as first line treatment that failed, are using Erbitux. and I guess most are waiting the outcome of a comparative trials with Cisplatin vs Erbitux, and possible treatment reduction with HPV. There was a recent article, one of many, about HPV sensitivty with radiation in oral cancer news in the opening page.

Hopefully they will one day have a biomarker that tests the the EGFR like colon cancer since they found 40 percent of the population had a KRAS mutation to make Erbitux ineffective on them, so they test before administrating. There is no such test for HNC, but heard Erbitux may not work in 5% HNC patients. I believe a gene fir HNC was found recently that may show who these targeted EGFR inhibitors may work on, but that's not coming soon.

Last edited by PaulB; 06-18-2013 12:18 PM.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

ragz4u Offline OP
OP Offline

You are a funny guy, Paul! Thanks for the advise and support! I do have all of the trust and faith in our ENT Surgeon. He found the cancer and took quick action. Jim had seen several doctors before the ENT who kept telling him it was just acid reflux. This guy took one look and broke the news that the right tonsil had cancer. With all of that behind us, the treatment is next and we want to get rid of this beast. Jim is up for the challenge and would prefer the most aggressive treatment available. He is getting things in order and I will make sure he is taken care of.

Thanks again, Paul!

Wife, caregiver
Diagnosed 5-7-13
SCC right tonsil HPV+
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Sorry you have to join the group, but here you have a circle of friends who understand what you are going through. It helps immeasurably that Jim is up for the challenge. The patient's determination to lick the beast will make the long journey quite a bit smoother. Hoping for the very best for the two of you.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
ragz4u Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Gloria!

Wife, caregiver
Diagnosed 5-7-13
SCC right tonsil HPV+
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Nancy

Erbitux IS indicated for first line treatment of head and neck cancer in combination with radiation.

the FDA approved this indication some years ago and the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines also list Erbitux as a potential treatment. The NCCN DO suggest that cisplatin is preferred and this is because there is more experience with this agent.

http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/head-and-neck.pdf

I am unsure if the link above will work but it is intended to send you to the relevant page of the guidelines.

If it doesn't, search for NCCN guidelines, register (costs nothing), make sure you are on the home page, find "NCCN guidelines" tab at the top and hover on "NCCN guidelines for treatment of cancer by site", locate head and neck cancer and then click on the PDF. Once you have the document downloaded, scroll past the title page and find hyperlink to the table of contents (top right hand corner)on the next page. Locate cancer of the oropharynx (ORPH-1), then "see treatment of primary ...ORPH-3" . In the footnote section "principles of systemic therapy CHEM-A" will take you to the list of chemo drugs that can be used.

I am sure there is an easier way than this, and the guidelines are somewhere on this forum but I can never find them. Maybe someone can make this a bit easier???

there are many reasons why a doctor will choose Erbitux over cisplatin and you need to discuss this with your doctor so that you are fully aware of their reasoning.

Good luck

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
ragz4u Offline OP
OP Offline

We had that discussion about the two drugs with our ENT and the first oncologist. They felt that in my husband's case, it was the drug of choice. Far fewer side effects and has proven to be highly successful with their patients. We will meet with the second opinion on Thursday. If it is the same, that is what we will do. Right now our ENT surgeon and the radiologist are in disagreement over the radiation treatments. They are having a talk and getting back to us. It would be nice if everyone was on the same page!

Thanks so much for the link! I keep on researching and reaching out for help and support. I really appreciate it!

Nancy

Wife, caregiver
Diagnosed 5-7-13
SCC right tonsil HPV+

[quote=klo]I am sure there is an easier way than this, and the guidelines are somewhere on this forum but I can never find them. Maybe someone can make this a bit easier???[/quote]
The link to the NCCN page on the main OCF site is here, but be advised that the guidelines on that page are from 2011. I don't know how much they change from year to year.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users