Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mary E Offline OP
OP Offline

Family dentist discovered spot during visit for pain. Pathology report confirmed SCC.Oral cancer in maxillary sinus cavity was removed by surgeon 12/12/12. has with pie wedge cut in palate. Radiation ended 4/5/13. Excruciating pain sent us to ER 3 times so far. Had scan, 2 MRIs (last one 7/7/13) still waiting for those results. Husband's pain continues on rt side of head, rt eye difficult to open, notice hearing loss, difficulty eating through mouth so has PEG tube. Neuro-Ophthalmologist gave 2 scenarios-1)microscopic tumor in brain, 2)radiation damage to nerves on rt side of head. Onocologist sent us for last MRI now waiting results. Hubby sleeps much, I miss him

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

So sorry to hear the difficulties you and your husband have been through Mary. You have found the right place to park and learn. Many here can help or offer support as you need it. Welcome to the Neighborhood!

Where is your husband being treated? Hope the MRI doesn't show anything except scarring from radiation.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Mary,
So sorry to hear about your husband's current condition but being two months past treatment, most are generally feeling some mending going on. Good you are currently seeking some answers to what is going on with him.

Sounds like you have the day to day pain issues mostly controlled but keep on top of that for sure.

Hope all goes well and welcome to a group of folks who have been through the battles and have experiences directly from the battlefield.
don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Mary, welcome to OCF! Im so sorry to read of your husbands after treatment issues. He has had a heck of a time of things and it seems like he isnt recovering very quickly. Im sure this is very frustrating for both of you.

As far as the pain goes, he should be on some sort of strong pain meds. Unfortunately the side effects can make him tired but his pain needs to be under control. If I were you I would call his ENT or even one of his oncologists and get an appointment and discuss pain management with them. Being in pain does nothing but make things so much worse for the patient. He needs to have this managed right away. Since its an ongoing pain I would suggest asking for the fentanyl patch. Make certain to read and follow all directions exactly as stated. Never fold, tear, cut, rip the patch, change it every 72 hours and put in a different spot every time and no long hot showers of baths while using the patch.

Next thing I want to ask you about is his nutrition. At this point he still should be taking in a minimum of 2500 calories and 48 oz of water every single day. After what your husband has been thru he needs extra calories to rebuild his body and to help him to regain some stamina. For many patients in recovery mode, taking in even 3500 calories daily is not too much. If he isnt that could be one of the reasons why he is not recovering at a good pace yet. Check with his doc about adding some high protein whey powder to any of his liquids to help with heeling. This is one of the biggest things the patient and/or caregiver has control over... the daily intake. Many patients are so worn out that they dont want to be bothered with this but it really is one of the most important parts of the treatment and recovery process. I know it sounds like way too many daily calories but its not. While I was recovering, many days I would take in 7000 calories, I never gained an ounce even with that high amount of calories. Thats due to my body being so run down from everything and it was burning up calories so quickly trying to rebuild itself. If your husband doesnt already have a feeding pump to use at night ask for a prescription to get one from a medical supply company. This will help him to start getting more nutrition.

As your husband is now 2 months post rads, he should be starting to have some better days. I would encourage him to begin taking short walks. Even if he only goes to the end of the block and back its better than laying in bed all the time. Im sure its already very hot in Texas this time of year so maybe early morning would be the best time of day to try to get your husband out for some fresh air. If its too much for him, maybe walking thru a shopping mall could work to get him a little exercise. But use caution with that too as his resistance is probably pretty low to being able to fight off a bug right now so avoiding crowds is a good idea. You can try what they do in the hospital too, getting the patient to sit in a chair instead of laying in bed.

Best wishes with everything!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy