Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
"OCF across the pond"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi,

I do brush my tongue, though not with a tongue scraper but something on the back of my toothbrush that is supposed to be for your tongue, though I don't think it does a ver good job really. I think I'll see if I can get a proper tongue scraper from the pharmacy next door to the doctors tomorrow.

You're right, worrying just makes things a whole lot worse. When I was having heart palpitations a few months ago, I got all kinda of silly thoughts in my head and I couldn't sleep properly and felt incredibly nauseas almost constantly. I still don't know what was causing the palpitations, they just suddenly stopped one day.

No diagnosis as of yet. 20 year old female, do not smoke or chew, very very rarely drink and then only in extreme moderation, HPV-.
"OCF across the pond"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Jade

Ive just been through a horrible two weeks awaiting biopsy results on my long standing ulcer and today got results that it is negative for cancer. I too googled and just couldnt put the computer down. I was scared stiff and have cried with fear.

I just hope that you will see a surgeon soon because they will have a look and decide what they think even before the biopsy and hopefully this will put your mind at rest. My surgeon said mine didnt look like cancer but hey i still freaked but people kept telling me to keep that in my mind and sometimes it helped.

I still have to go for follow up and a neck ultrasound as i too have some strange discomfort in my throat, and also near the ear. So not feeling completely out of the woods. But i feel like ive just been through the process you are going through and want you to know that you should be ok. My aunt had two mouth biopsies and one was a wart and the other a polyp. Strange things pop up in our bodies eh. Anyway i can talk about this with hindsight now but wish you all the best.

Xxx

"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Jade

It sounds like your doctor is not the doctor for you. I am in uk also and use nhs services. Sometimes we dont realise what our rights are as patients but i want you to know that you are able to request to see another doctor and no one can tell you that you cant. We are very fortunate for this. If your really unhappy you can even attend another practice. Please get yourself a doctor that listens to you as you are clearly frightened and that a horrible place to be. I suffer from terrible health anxiety since a year ago and i finally have a doctor that listens to everything. She treated me for anxiety whilst checking my concerns regarding physical health where necessary and she used to get me to write a list to go through with her so that no questions would be left unanswered. There are some amazing doctors that will do this for you and i dont know where id be without her this last year. Some doctors have just looked at me like im a nutcase and rushed me out the door. Try another doctor until you meet one that you can build a good relationship with at it is so important.

Xxx

"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hey,

I just saw your post. I'm so happy that your results came back negative for cancer and hope the rest comes out fine too, I'm sure it will smile.

Thank you for your words. I've been told by everyone who's looked at my tongue that it doesn't look suspicious, but seeing as they can't tell me what it is I worry. Hoping my docs appoinment will go well tomorrow and I'll finally get a referal. I've not actually asked for a referal yet so hopefully she'll give me one with no problems as I won't be able to put it to rest (if it is nothing), until I have it properly checked out.

I'll update again tomorrow after my appoinment.

Last edited by Jade5792; 06-06-2013 12:43 PM.

No diagnosis as of yet. 20 year old female, do not smoke or chew, very very rarely drink and then only in extreme moderation, HPV-.
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Thanks jade, good luck, not knowing things is horrible but as they say looks ok that sounds good, good news so far. Xxxxx

"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

So I've been to the doctors and she said she wants to hold off on the referral for now and wait until I've seen my dentist (Tuesday), I have to go back to her after I've seen him and then she said that depending in what he says and how I feel about it, she'll decided what to do about the referral then.

"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Something to add quickly. I know every cancer is different and I may not have cancer, no matter how much I've convinced myself I do.

What are the chances that I'd have it in my tongue, throat, right tonsil, cheek and lip all at the same time? (I'd assume if that's the case I have a pretty shitty prognosis), but it's newly a curiosity as my lower lip is (and has been for a while) swollen in the left side, I noticed it about a month ago but it may have always been like that, but I don't think it has. Same with my tonsil which I noticed was bigger than the left one today.

I'm picking at every little thing in my mouth at the moment, and it's driving me mad. I just cannot seem to stop for some reason.

Last edited by Jade5792; 06-07-2013 12:18 PM.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

They have percentages for primary, and distant cancer at presentation is like 10 percent. If HPV negative, and may have been caused by smoking, other carcinogens, there is such a thing as field cancerization, metachrounous and synchronous cancer in the nearby structures, aerodirgestive track, which percentages I don't know off hand.

Cancer in general some cancers are low compared to the population, some rising , but many decreasing. Some other cancers are higher, HNC ranks 5th or 6th, but everyone fears cancer one time or another. I did, and eventually faced my fears, and not afraid anymore. I'm not a victim or survivor, I'm a fighter. You don't know how strong you are until you need to fight for your life, no other choice.

Actually, cancer is not easy to get, needs like 100 changes, and like 10 different mutations. The immune system fights off dancer, and not even easy to metastasize to different areas, due to the barriers in the body, but some still do, and it's frightening, and needs a strong willed person, and support like here.

Good luck, relax, get hobbies, have fun, enjoy life, like it's your last day, everydsy. The morning is best for me just waking up.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Quick question.

if someone has a lump or growth cut off any part of their body, whether the doctors thought it was something dangerous or just removed it as it was irritating, do they have to check it for anything malignant anyway?.

I ask this because when I went to the hospital on Wednesday, the doctor who looked at my tongue and said he thought it was nothing to worry about, said that if it was irritating me he would make an appoinment to get it cut off. This is a small lump/spot on the swelling. So I'm wondering if I do get the small spot/lump thing cut off, if they have to check it just incase it does turn out to be anything dangerous, or if they just would normally just dispose of it straight away?.

Is this a CCC, and ENT? I wouldn't let anyone cut anything off until confirmed by a biopsy if it's cancer,of not, like from a punch, incisional of excisional biopsy. Even if it's a small lump, and lump sounds big, it can go deeper into the musculature, and won't really know until surgery is being done, poseibly needing a graft, aftercare. The other thing, if not done properly, may hace a risk to spread disease.

Last edited by PaulB; 06-08-2013 04:45 PM.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo