Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ntc Offline OP
OP Offline

First, let me say that all of you on this forum are great. I've been reading through many posts. Let me also say that at this point, I haven't been diagnosed with cancer. But, it is has been a hard two and half months.

I live in Japan (I'm American, 38 years old). Since two months ago, my right ear has been what I would describe as stopped up, and occasionally, but not consistently, painful. On top of this, my voice is slightly changed, and I have to clear my throat a lot. Everything has been on the right side. I have a relatively small swollen lymph node on right side under corner of jaw bone...seems to move when I swallow. It's about 1cm or so. Finally, I am 100% certain I have gotten high risk HPV in the past -- so I guess that means I have it forever...

I've been examined by a few doctors here, and the best one (the only one I see now) has scoped me and felt around my mouth and says there is nothing. He has given me anti-inflammatory medicine because he says my right tonsil is inflamed. Also gave me some kind of mucus thinning medicine because he says mucus is causing voice problems.

All I know is that it is all on the right side (where I have been getting frequent sore throats for the past few years), and
my ear especially is not getting better.

I keep seeing people describe ear pain...but I don't know if what I have is pain. It is much more that I can't pop my ear open. I would think there is fluid or something in the middle ear...but then, maybe it's not my ear, but my throat causing the problems? I don't know.

I don't know what to do. The doctor I am seeing now gave me more anti-inflammatory medicine last week and said come back in two weeks if it stays the same, and then he would send me for an MRI (because I requested a scan). It's been a week, and since things are not improving, I'm going crazy.

I just don't know what to do. The worry has been consuming me. I've stopped looking at my throat and feeling my neck because the worry is keeping me from sleeping. I'm try to ignore it all, but the fact that it is not getting better (though not necessarily worse) after two and half months has brought me here.

I'm sorry to trouble you as I know many of you have been through having cancer, but especially with the fact that I am in Japan and it seems no doctors have heard anything about HPV being a risk for oral cancer, it is really tough.

I just don't know...maybe even an MRI is not the next right step? Should I try to get a PET scan? It is expensive...but...I would do anything to find out if this is the beginning of cancer, or if it is somehow it a place the doctor has not sufficiently checked.

Any advice is very welcome. I applaud all of you on this board supporting each other, and thank you for any help or advice you might give.

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Welcome to the site.

First off calm way down as it will do nothing on the positive side of the sheet.

Are you a male or a female?

Do you smoke?

Do they have ENT's in Japan? Sounds like you went to one who scoped you. Perhaps seek out another ENT for another opinion if the inflammation persists. Perhaps it's Tonsillitis? If you do go to another ENT make sure they are aware of ALL the causes of Oral Cancer. I can't believe Japanese doctors are unaware of HPV's relationship to Oral Cancer.

Re your comment on HPV. Almost everyone in the world "gets" HPV but percentage wise most never have a problem with the virus and we have no studies demonstrating a connection between vaginal exposure leading to oral exposure (and vice versa) in the same person.

Keep us informed and let's hope everything resolves itself shortly.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Just because you may currently have HPV does not mean you will always have it. Some people clear the virus without ever knowing they have it and the HPV not causing any health problems. Just because someone has HPV does not mean they will go on to develop oral cancer. I hope you do not have any serious health problems going on!

Since I have no idea about how the health system works in your country I dont know how much help I can be. You need to find an ENT who is familiar with oral cancer patients. Not one who's main job is to put tubes in childrens ears. Since you said your ENT is not familiar with the HPV and oral cancer link then obviously they are behind the times in their medical practice.

Find a more up to date ENT who treats mostly oral cancer patients. By finding a qualified ENT they will look for a tumor and do a biopsy, probably scope you to look deeper into your throat and if something is found then further tests like a CT. I would doubt they would do a PET scan unless cancer was found. They could put you on some medications to try to alleviate the symptoms, as it could be other things besides oral cancer.

The swollen lymph node could be a sign of infection. Please stop worrying so much! It does not help you at all and will only make you feel alot of stress which isnt healthy. At this point you dont even know if anything serious is wrong and worrying will not change that. Do yourself a huge favor and think positive, stay busy and go on living your life. If you must think about the "what if's" then limit yourself to say 5 minutes then "change the channel" and think of more positive thoughts. This is something you can learn to help you have less anxiety about your situation.

Good luck with everything!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
ntc Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm sorry I didn't mention that I am male.

I know I should stop worrying. I'm driving my wife crazy. But, I support the family including my two girls, and I understand that at least I must be at some risk having contracted high risk HPV. The past few years of recurring sore throats on the right side, and now this...it just has me concerned. I don't know how cancer develops or incubates, but I feel these past few years there may be these signs. Even now, the ear fullness that I feel seems it could be a precursor. I guess I've read so much about the importance of catching cancer early, I cannot help but try to find out more what is wrong with me as quickly as possible.

My most recent doctor, after I explained about HPV, seems to have done some investigation, as the second time I met him, he spoke more like he knew about the connection. However, it does not seem there is any boom in oral cancer here in Japan due to HPV, and I have searched the news here in Japanese and there is just not much there.

I will ask him next week when I go whether there might be a cancer center where there are experts on this.

I just have to say thank you so much for your responses, so fast. I highly respect your words. And, I am going to do my best to put this all aside, at least until I see the doctor again next week.

38 yr. old American male, live in Japan. Undiagnosed as of 10/4/13, but have had symptoms since 2/28/13.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Ok here's for the statistics and what we currently know about HPV infections. It is thought that most people will clear most HPV infections in about 2 years, HPV-16 infections are thought to take longer for the immune system to deal with.

Currently about 1% of the population infected with the high risk cancer causing forms of HPV will develop a cancer from it, and we don't know why this is. It's assumed that it's in the genetics, could be lifestyle choices, diet, and overall health. There's a lot we don't currently know about this virus, which is why it's a focus of so much research.

So first and foremost relax, stressing causes your body to produce cortisol which is a huge catalyst to your bodies catabolic metabolic pathways and greatly reduces your bodies immune response.

Personally now that you know you have a risk factor for such cancers such as anal, penile, and oral, (if you were female you'd have cervical cancer tacked on to that list) you should focus on your overall health. Nutrition, exercise, rest and relaxation are all proven methods of increasing your bodies natural immune response and reducing your risk of cancers.

So breath, exercise, eat right, have more sex, enjoy life and stop worrying. When you actually get a cancer diagnosis, then worry, however know that HPV related Head and Neck cancers have a higher survival rate due to their favorable response to radiotherapy...which is no picnic, but beats the alternative.

Keep your chin up my friend

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello ntc: All the Forum members who replied to your post had some really good information for you. Nevertheless, it's always wise to pursue the causes of your problems, so it is important you seek an ENT or hospital that has doctors who are familiar with oral cancer. No. 1 would be to have your tonsils checked, if they haven't already done that. I'm not sure if they do a scan or oral check to ensure they are okay. I thoroughly understand your fear- we know our bodies better than anyone and know when something isn't right. Yours could, and I pray, isn't anything but a possible infection or something similar, but you will not get relief until you have someone who knows what they are doing confirm this for you. So, seek help where you can get a thorough evaluation. Good luck.

julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

ntc,

Oral cancer caused by HPV does not take years to develop so if as you say you have been having sore throats for the past couple of years I would focus on the tonsils as I said in my first post. It may also be allergies.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
ntc Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all so much for your advice.

Well, rather than waiting a week, I'm going back to my ENT doctor tomorrow. Came home tonight and blew my nose and there was not just a little blood...not a normal bloody nose...from the same side as my ear problem. So, hopefully sooner or later I will find out more what it the world is going on...I've never had something go on like this with my health for so long. I was feeling so healthy before I got sick.

I think Julieann hit the nail on the head for me...something is just not right. I think I have reason to fear that it could be oral cancer, but as many of you have pointed out, having high risk HPV doesn't definitely mean I will get OC.

I don't know, but I will say that the immediate support and voices of all of you -- all of you who have been through much more than me -- is very meaningful. Thank you for the information, support, and advice. I will follow through with whatever happens with my situation.

38 yr. old American male, live in Japan. Undiagnosed as of 10/4/13, but have had symptoms since 2/28/13.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Keep us posted.

David

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Definitely - it could be a number of things but you know when something is wrong, so push until you get an answer. best of luck

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users