Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Hi LaurieAnn

There is a world renouned institution in TX - MD Anderson that you could send your file without flying there for a second opinion. Most of the Cancer Institutes will do this so you don't have to drive or fly. I recommend doing this, I didn't get treatment there just wanted to ensure my next round was consistent with recommendations. I haven't updated my profile but my Cancer returned 10 days after treatment. I was extremely surprised but at the same time wasn't because I grew up with a Mom that battled it. My Radiologist decided not give me treatment on both sides of my neck, now, he regrets this decision. However, I don't hold him responsible. My right side developed lump in my neck, I immediately went into the doctor's and surgery was scheduled. 3/65 Lymphnodes positive so Rad/Chemo automatic. After a second opinion, it was suggesed I get Genetic testing on my pathology for my next Chemo drug. This resulted in Taxomere/Carboplatin which was different than the original plan of Cisplatin. Overall, second opinions give you another look and another option, I don't worry about this anymore. I enjoy each day and feel confident I decided my plan after second opinion. Most good doctor's welcome second opinions and will contact other physicians about your case. It does concern me that your doctor has only 2-3 cases per year, but a second opinion will assist in your decision.

3/20 Lymph Nodes (+)
Cisplatin/6600 Radiation - Began December 3, 2012 - 7 weeks

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi LauriAnn, I'm sorry for what you're going through. For what it's worth, we live in northern Illinois. When my husband was diagnosed, we got opinions from Mayo Clinic, MD Anderson & The University of Chicago. Having ties both in Texas and Illinois we were more than willing to have him treated at either center. We chose U of C, where we believe he got excellent care. If you're looking for a second opinion, I cannot highly enough recommend U of C.

wife/caregiver to Vince, dx 4/12 Stage IV BOT HPV+ SCC, poorly diff.; T4N2cMo; U of C; Clinical trial, Everolimus; 6 wks ind. chemo (Cetuximab, Cisplatin & Taxol), 50 x IMRT, 75 gy chemorad w/5FU, Hydrea & Taxol; 5 years out, thankfully still NED
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users