Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jessie Offline OP
OP Offline

I have had a severe sore throat for almost 3 weeks now, without having a cold or flu. I have noticed that over the course of 3 weeks, I have had more and more pain in the right side of my throat, the right side of my face up to my ear hurts, I have had trouble swallowing without choking, and I have been drooling during the day in addition to nighttime (which has been really embarassing). As far as hoarseness, people have mentioned it during choir practice at church, but I assumed it was because of the sore throat, so I haven't thought much of it.

I have tried practically every home remedy, OTC remedy, and 2 different prescription pain meds (Ibuprofen and Tylenol w/Codeine) the Emergency Room gave me, but nothing has got rid of the sore throat at all. I also tested negative for the flu, strep, and mono.

I went to my doctor and she checked everything, and told me that all of my symptoms point toward throat cancer (since she couldn't find an abcess or anything like that), but she has to wait for some test results to come back from the ear, nose, throat doctor she refered me to.
I am scared! My dad had lung cancer and died within 10 months of being diagnosed. I don't know what to do! All I know of throat cancer is people not being able to talk anymore and having to use a traceotomy to breathe. HELP!

Jessie

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Glad to hear that you have done all the right things - going going to doctor and ENT.

I am extremely surprised that your doctor would mention throat cancer with obviously NO conclusive evidence - no ct, mri or pet scans, no biopsies and no test results!! That is a wild leap for a persistent sore throat. I am not saying that cancer is beyond the realm of possibilities, but it is far far too early to diagnose cancer.

Keep pursuing a correct documented diagnosis, but in the meantime try very hard not to worry. I am the Queen of Worry around here and I can ASSURE you that it has NEVER helped me one bit - all it does is saps today of its joy. We are here for you. We have been where you are right now -know you are not alone and we will be here as you proceed in the diagnosis process.

Breathe deeply and carry on calmly. Hugs
Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I'm sorry about your father, Jessie, and I'm sure it adds to your worries, but agree with what Donna said. There are many things that can cause your ailments anywhere from a tooth infection, abcess, ear pain, tinnitus, TMJ. Good luck with the results, and you did the right thing by getting it checked out. Whatever the outcome, if you are smoker, stopping will reduce your risks, complications, delay in healing for any form of treatment, even non cancerous ones. Most head and neck cancers are squamous cell carcinoma, SCC, 90 percent, and this is due to environmental exposure, social behavior, and viruses. Heredity is not thought to be a factor, although genetics are being looked into.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Jesse, Im sorry for the loss of your father.

I know you are worried but please calm down. By getting upset it wont help you at all. Stress will only make your symptoms appear to be worse. I would suggest going to a ENT who is familiar with treating oral cancer patients. They can do a scope and see if there are any abnormalities. If they see something then it will take a biopsy to determine if it is cancerous. The testing can take a few weeks until you will finally know whats wrong, so staying calm is important.

Your statement about throat cancer patients living their lives with a trach isnt completely accurate. Not all patients who have throat cancer will end up like that. Many are successfully treated and go on to live good productive lives, speaking and breathing just fine on their own. This is getting way ahead of everything as you do not even know whats wrong yet. Please try not to jump to conclusions. Especially hard to avoid is the "what if" way of thinking.

Hope you will get an answer soon.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Jessie Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much for your replies. I have been scared and frustrated at this severe sore throat, because it seems like all the common sore throat related illnesses have come back negative. My doctor did do a thyroid test on me, because she said that the spot on the right side of my neck where I have said the pain is in my throat is where your thyroid is. Still haven't got the results of this yet (hopefully, they will be here by this afternoon).

One big problem I hate right now is producing so much saliva that I am drooling, and when I swallow the large amount, it causes me choke. Its like once I swallow, my mouth gushes out even more saliva. Its embarassing to be drooling during the day when I am out and about.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Sounds like your throat is. Very irritated hence the drool. Did they scope you? Take a tissue sample? Send you for a scan?

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

There are many causes for hypersalivation and reduction of saliva clearance, some which can be caused by medications, toxins, illness such as oral infections, ulcers, abscesses, tonsilitis, and other medical conditions. Tell your doctor, which may help in your diagnosis. Rinsing your mouth, and frequent brushing may help. Good luck.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Jessie Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=Cheryld]Sounds like your throat is. Very irritated hence the drool. Did they scope you? Take a tissue sample? Send you for a scan? [/quote]

I am still waiting for an appointment with a ENT doctor, who will do the scope test. I am just getting so sick of this severe pain and drooling and choking all day and all night long. I have lost sleep because I am gagging so much during the night. It feels like whatever lump is in the right side of my throat keeps hitting my windpipe at night when I am laying down or on my side, causing me to gasp for air several times a night.
I do have a problem with producing too much stomach acid and bile in addition to having gastroparesis, as a result of my birth defect, but have never had any throat pain associated with it, so I don't think its the acid causing the problem. I just hope they figure out what is wrong soon.

Jessie

Last edited by Jessie; 03-02-2013 12:25 AM.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Couple of questions - how old are you? And do you smoke ? If you are in your forties or above - then there's a possibility of HPV+ BOT cancer - the demographics is usually forties and up. If you are a heavy smoker it is also possible. Mind you usually this is a later in life situation - though not always.
There is also the possibility of thyroid cancer. A lump in the throat is always concerning. Though is could be benign or just swollen due to some etiology.
For a dr. To jump to cancer without scoping etc is more of a worse case scenario DX rather than an accurate one. It really could be anything.
For a dr, to say that he's basing it on personal information - your age, history health etc, basically you match a demographic - and present with a certain symptomology. But that doesn't mean he's right. Without a scope, and scans it only a guess. Please make sure the ENT they send you to is one familiar with oral cancer (not all are) and push to get in ASAP. Ask them to put you on a cancellation list. I'm not saying this because I beleive its cancer, but because its obviously causing major worry and disruption of your day to day life. Take care!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Jessie Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=Cheryld]Couple of questions - how old are you? And do you smoke ? If you are in your forties or above - then there's a possibility of HPV+ BOT cancer - the demographics is usually forties and up. If you are a heavy smoker it is also possible. Mind you usually this is a later in life situation - though not always.
There is also the possibility of thyroid cancer. A lump in the throat is always concerning. Though is could be benign or just swollen due to some etiology.
For a dr. To jump to cancer without scoping etc is more of a worse case scenario DX rather than an accurate one. It really could be anything.
For a dr, to say that he's basing it on personal information - your age, history health etc, basically you match a demographic - and present with a certain symptomology. But that doesn't mean he's right. Without a scope, and scans it only a guess. Please make sure the ENT they send you to is one familiar with oral cancer (not all are) and push to get in ASAP. Ask them to put you on a cancellation list. I'm not saying this because I beleive its cancer, but because its obviously causing major worry and disruption of your day to day life. Take care! [/quote]

I'm 31 years old and don't smoke or drink.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users