Page 1 of 2 1 2
#161587 02-13-2013 01:15 PM
gmcraft Offline OP
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
Assistant Admin

How come we are getting links to online advertisements whenever someone mentions the word "work"? Look at Donfoo's post "Share personal journey" under the General thread and also Maria's post "Problem solving and care" under the Caregiver thread?

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

If there is ever a post you think needs attention, just hit the notify button.

Thanks!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Gloria

Actually, I do not get any such advertisements and I went back several times to both Donfoo's and Maria's post. If just opening the post brings ads, IMO, it's your computer. Sounds like you have an adware infection
Now if you meant when you opened Maria's link, there were pop up advertisements, almost all sites have them , but that's why I run a pop up blocker and adextension block
Oh, and last but not least, I will give a test here
work see advertisements on this post?
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 02-13-2013 04:10 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
gmcraft Offline OP
Assistant Admin
OP Offline
Assistant Admin

Charm, as usual, you are dead on. Have removed the annoying Chrome extension. Thanks for your help.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

OCF servers are behind numerous firewalls, (there are several servers for different parts of the OCF site) and rigorous scanning protocols keeps them free of malware. OCF has a strict policy of not accepting any advertising on our site of any kind. I often wish that for some things we could ( we could use the money), but at the end of the day, it is a credibility issue, and a protection of those that come to OCF that are most on our minds. We do get approached with regularity to let ads be on OCF, and they all have to be turned down.

Also the search engine that runs on the OCF site was obtained through a special agreement with Google. This is a search engine that they normal lease out to big corporations for tens of thousands of dollars a year. It is capable of even looking in the PDF's that are on the OCF site to find the results people may need. It has no advertising tied to it, which you see on many sites that have a free in-site Google search function.

We had a long discussion with the powers that be at Google, and explained that those paid search ads might actually promote something that would harm our sites users. Bogus cures, herbal remedies for cancer, and so much more are the things that some companies that pay Google to be in targeted search ads, have paid to be tied to search parameters with the word cancer in them. Google agreed with OCF, and provided us this robust search engine for free. Good company that gets the nature of our site vs another commercial site.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Well, I have to say I really do appreciate the no-ads policy and the sound reasons behind it. I was made to realize how important and useful it was last year when I was about to have some robotic surgery for a hysterectomy. I found a discussion site that addressed many of my concerns, but it was so frustrating just navigating through all the ads in an effort to get to any messages or information, I finally gave up. It made me appreciate more than ever, this site and all those responsible for making OCF the excellent forum that it is.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Thank you Brian for that informative post! I certainly appreciate the no-ads policy on the OCF website, but didn't know all that goes on behind the scenes to keep it that way. That is awesome that Google agreed with OCF!

For those that have benefited from OCF, keep in mind that OCF is a small non-profit that does wonderful things on a limited budget. A donation to OCF will help to continue the good work that OCF does!

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)

I personally think it would be funny if we had Male Enhancement ads put up here and there. Those Smilin' Bob commercials make me chuckle. C'mon Brian, it's for the greater good wink hahahahaha! (sorry couldn't help myself...it's funny!)

Last edited by EricS; 02-14-2013 12:22 AM.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

By the way I should have said there are three unique search engines on the OCF site

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/search.htm

Also OCF has many different servers that house different parts of the foundation's web site. To those on the site this seems seamless when they travel from one to the other, but it you look at the URL in the top of the pages as you move around OCF you can tell when you are changing sites and servers.

The servers that handle our donations and the donor drive event function of the pages where credit cards are used are separate from everything else. They are heavily encrypted with software that not only prevents intrusion, but also prevents OCF from know too much about you. For instance if you donate with a credit card, we never get to see anything but the last four digits. If we look at the data on that server it is scrambled to look like gibberish to us, and only our financial banking partners get to see things.

The forum that you are on now is on a separate set of servers. It gets not only a lot of traffic, mostly thousands of worldwide lurkers that do not actually post, but it also has to archive lots of data, as even with regular pruning of old posts that have no useful information in them out of it, it still averages about 160,000 conversations at any given time. because of the need to search so many unique locations/data points it has its own dedicated search engine so that it will operate quickly. We cannot keep the Google search engine out of it (like most things on the web) and the spiders that you see on the forum home page are search engine web bots wandering around it. Showing them to you reminds you that very little on the web is not cataloged, and here you should not use your real names, (unless you don't care about the cancer connection to you like me) the names of your employer, and those kinds of personal details. Yes I know you share it all on Facebook already, and they of course make their billions of dollars selling every detail you reveal about yourself there to the same kinds of companies� Facebook isn't really free either, and people put up their most intimate details of their life and history there willingly to be sold to millions of interested companies and other entities. Google, Bing and everyone else that provide that "free search service" to you make billions of dollars a year. They know everything you have searched for going back a decade or more, and they well that information to email selling companies that want to target their sales pitch to you. Nothing is free, and nothing on the web is 100% private. So the web robots (web bots or spiders) wander all over everything in cyberspace and send the data back to the data collectors. This is good and bad. Good if you a researching something very esoteric and want to learn, bad if you are serious about privacy.

The main site of OCF with the several hundred pages of content on oral cancer is very heavily trafficked. There are between 20-40,000 users on it at any given moment during USA daylight hours. In order for the site to run as fast as it does, it also has to have its own unique servers or pages would take forever to load with that much bandwidth being used by readers and search engines. It has the Google search engine that I described above.

The event part of the site that runs the calendar is on different servers as well. This is because we let other people's computers post to it, so it is the least protected of the servers. It still runs constant malware software, and tracks every isp that enters on to it to put up an event so that we can block them if there are tracked problems to them, but it is not secure enough for us to put it on the servers that run everything else.

And there is the OCF news section, which has an archive of oral cancer news articles going back to 2001 or so, that has a huge amount of data on it. Again because of the data load and the traffic there (it runs an RSS feed to anyone in the world that wants it, and there are tens of thousands of subscribers that it serves worldwide) it would slow everything down elsewhere if it was coupled up to the main site. I highly recommend that people here subscribe to it, because we put a lot of effort into locating in science journals and in general media everything we think is of value to people interested in oral cancers. More, it is FREE, and the information that is there is vetted by our docs before it is put up to be sure that it not promoting junk science or worse outright fraud.

But to someone wandering around OCF's web presence, it seems seamless and all in the same location, but it is not. We have our webmaster Chester who is a code warrior and had the insight to set this up properly as we grew (often to complaints from me about how much all this hardware and infrastructure was costing). Chester works for OCF for pennies on the dollar to what he makes elsewhere, and we are very lucky to have the time he puts in for us over the last decade. But back in the day, I would have never gotten off on the right foot if he had not guided the foundation to put in the proper protections, and consider the future bandwidth/traffic demands that we would eventually be carrying.

So there is a small look behind the curtain. If anyone wants to know more about our security, why we do the things we do, how we spend your donations or whatever, you just have to ask. I take very seriously the transparency that is required of us to be a public charity. Any donor to OCF should have full disclosure of any serious questions they have.

By the way Eric, we were going to put up those penis enhancement ads, since they pay the largest amount� but I was actually trying to protect you when I realized that you were the poster boy for the company�.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
gmcraft Offline OP
Assistant Admin
OP Offline
Assistant Admin

Thanks, Brian, for the info. As I mentioned in my second post, it was my computer that was the problem, not this site. I use Google Chrome and somehow had an extension installed (without my being aware of it) and that was why the links kept popping up. On Charm's advice, I checked my computer and have had the extension removed. Sorry about the kerfuffle.

Gloria

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users
Forum Statistics