Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160904 01-26-2013 05:58 PM
bobc Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

I am male 64 years old, live in Canada. My family doctor sent me to see a ENT surgeon on November 15, 2012. He put that scope to look at my throat & told me he was sure it was a cancer tumor on my left vocal cord. 7 days later he had me in surgery to remove it with laser surgery at 8AM & kept me overnight even though I wanted to go home after but he was kind enough to visit me that night a 7PM. About 8 days later I went to see this surgeon & he told me the pathology report confirmed it was cancer & to see him at least every 2-3 months for at least 1-2 years & he did not want me or expect me to go for radiation. He also told me to be very sure would be to remove my vocal cords.

He told my he has never had a patient taking the word "cancer" so well but I joke around a lot even with my doctors as I take life happily with the good or bad & accept it. It is now only 2 months & my throat is getting harsh & sore again. I will not do anything more & I will explain why in my next post....Bob

I had a vocal cord tumor removed in November 2012, 64 year old male
bobc #160907 01-26-2013 06:56 PM
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Okay - where in Canada are you and where are you being treated? The standard treatment is not just surgery unless its very early stage with clear margins and even then that's iffy- were you scanned? Was it localized ? Did he get clear margins? Based on location your tumor should have been tested for HPV, and generally follow up treatment is radiation and chemo.
I had a tumor in my tongue. 2.4 cm - my dr removed 1/3 of my tongue, 40 lymph nodes and sent me for rads and chemo. Go back to your ENT ASAP have him take a good look in there and send you for a scan. It's possible your are still healing but honestly if you were doing well and are having a recurren ce of symptons then he needs to take a closer look. How is your neck? anylumps?? Did you have a neck dissection?
I know I'm asking a lot of questions, it just concerns me because this seems a bit like a bandaid on a broken arm. I was blown off my my first ENT who missed the tumor inside my tongue. You should find out how much cancer this ENT deals with - some do a lot of other stuff without being fully in the know about oral cancer.
Hope it's nothing but you need to be sure. Take care

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
#160908 01-26-2013 07:02 PM
bobc Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

As I told you I had the tumor removed from my left vocal cord BUT this why I will not do anything more.

In November 2009 I had a complete aorta by pass, they had trouble to get me to breath on my own & spent 7 days in ICU sleeping I guess LOL. I was told by that surgeon the majority who had the same surgery live 3 to 5 years. I was great full it saved my legs from being amputated for now & when I had that surgery I told that surgeon to never amputate either of my legs & let me go. I can walk fine now.

In 1989 I went out after work to have a nice supper. I had first parked my car at home. Walking back home I was mugged & ended up in the hospital for 3 months. I was hurt so bad they did not expect me to live & removed 1/3 of the mussel from the back of my neck, a lot of mussel from my left hip & some from my left arm. Since then I wake up in pain 10-15 times during the night as I refuse to be on pain killers, 1 year on morphine was enough for me. Maybe because I dislike drug addicts so much. I have not been able work since that mugging.

I seldom tell anyone about my medical problems as I never want pity. Many war veterans are worse off than me. Well I am getting very tired now at 64 years old (not tired of living I want to live forever) tired of being sick & in pain for over 20 years. NO I am not giving up but I can accept going to a peaceful place. All I wish for now is to enjoy my last months or years with no more surgeries. I have a few friends I want to enjoy my time with who visit me at the senior place I live, no family to speak of. I was never married so no kids. My mother died of breast cancer 68 lbs, she died holding my hand in 1994. I have never shared like this before but it's only the internet. I wish all of you have a long & happy life. Bob

Cheryld #160910 01-26-2013 07:16 PM
bobc Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

[quote=Cheryld]Okay - where in Canada are you and where are you being treated? The standard treatment is not just surgery unless its very early stage with clear margins and even then that's iffy- were you scanned? Was it localized ? Did he get clear margins? Based on location your tumor should have been tested for HPV, and generally follow up treatment is radiation and chemo.
I had a tumor in my tongue. 2.4 cm - my dr removed 1/3 of my tongue, 40 lymph nodes and sent me for rads and chemo. Go back to your ENT ASAP have him take a good look in there and send you for a scan. It's possible your are still healing but honestly if you were doing well and are having a recurren ce of symptons then he needs to take a closer look. How is your neck? anylumps?? Did you have a neck dissection?
I know I'm asking a lot of questions, it just concerns me because this seems a bit like a bandaid on a broken arm. I was blown off my my first ENT who missed the tumor inside my tongue. You should find out how much cancer this ENT deals with - some do a lot of other stuff without being fully in the know about oral cancer.
Hope it's nothing but you need to be sure. Take care
[/quote]

Thank you cheryld for caring, please read my post I made after. It may explain why he may think I may not survive more than he has done. I am in Alberta.

bobc #160913 01-26-2013 09:41 PM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Its likely you won't need anymore surgery what you would need is radiation and chemo - not fun but doable, you do have some health problems but as you said you don't want to die perse but are accepting. I totally respect you willingness to let nature take its course but this is a very hard way to go about doing that. Blessings to you whatever you do.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
bobc Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

[quote=Cheryld]Its likely you won't need anymore surgery what you would need is radiation and chemo - not fun but doable, you do have some health problems but as you said you don't want to die perse but are accepting. I totally respect you willingness to let nature take its course but this is a very hard way to go about doing that. Blessings to you whatever you do. [/quote]

Thank you Cheryld for your kind reply. No I am not scared of dying but I do think I will live much longer, I am too stubborn to die LOL. More about me is on the "general forum". Like I said I want to live forever & I may last for many years. When that surgeon told me most who had the same surgery I had live 3 to 5 years I said "hey I come & dance by your office in 10 years". He said "if anyone can, it will be you" LOL. AND I will. If the end ever comes, believe me I will not let myself die in misery. I want quality in life I have left much more than quantity. I want to enjoy my life & I am not going to ever give up any of my bad habits only to live another 6 lousy months. Bob

#160924 01-27-2013 01:03 AM
bobc Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Thanks to all of you for letting me join here, I sure needed a forum like this. I have spent hours on here tonight being so new to all of this. As you know if you have read my posts I do not talk about my illness with my friends, they know I do not want to talk about my health. I best go to bed now but I will leave you with a saying I say to all my friends.

"never look down at someone unless you helping him/her up" after all the years of saying that to friends little did I know I would need a helping hand like I have found on this forum. I was on google looking for maybe a blog place to share my thoughts & this I think is the best place for me now. Hey guys, always be happy & keep a smile. Helping another is the greatest gift you can give to yourself & the best feeling ever. Be proud of who you are not who you want to be. You WERE a gift the day you were born. You are loved. Take care..Love to all of you..Bob

bobc #160931 01-27-2013 07:46 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Welcome, Bob
Any time you want to talk about anything (or nothing) just sign in and know you are always most welcome.
Regarding your other matter, I'm sure many folks here are familiar with compassion and choices (used to be the dreaded Hemlock Society) I certainly am an advocate and agree with what they stand for. Here's the site:
community.compassionandchoices.org
Best
Gordon

SCC right tonsil Dx 14 Feb 03
No surg till Apr 03
Lip resection Sep 05 "frankenface"
Recurr Apr 10
2/3 tongue removed Jun 10
SPEECH/SWALLOW/DROOL challenges FUN!
Dec 10 Tumor @ nodes/larynx/cart artery growing
Erbitux Mar 11 Hyoid bone regrows!?
recur Dec 12
begin taxo chemo
10yrs-still kickin!

bobc #160932 01-27-2013 07:57 PM

Oops! Just read Christine's post on your other topic, and she really is right, unfortunately. I will say, though, as an ex-smoker who had complete control in giving myself this disease, I certainly want to have a bit of control at the end-point.

SCC right tonsil Dx 14 Feb 03
No surg till Apr 03
Lip resection Sep 05 "frankenface"
Recurr Apr 10
2/3 tongue removed Jun 10
SPEECH/SWALLOW/DROOL challenges FUN!
Dec 10 Tumor @ nodes/larynx/cart artery growing
Erbitux Mar 11 Hyoid bone regrows!?
recur Dec 12
begin taxo chemo
10yrs-still kickin!

Link Copied to Clipboard