Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

All,

This is kind of a venting post, so no need to reply unless you have advice. Sometimes it helps to just vent to those that may be in the same position and can understand better than outsiders!

I'm in the very early stages of my diagnosis and treatment and have told only close family and friends. But, I'm starting to get a little fed up as they keep asking me questions that I often don't have the answers to. It's hard enough for me to wrap my head around it, and it frustrates me when I don't have the answers but keep getting the same questions.

I spent the last week reading forums, articles, etc. to come up with a list 5 pages long of questions for my doctor. After reviewing the list today with him, he wasn't able to address half of them. I haven't had my surgery yet, so many of his answers were "it depends". Do I need a skin graft? Nose feeding tube? When can the neck dissection bag(s) be removed? All will be told after surgery.

So, don't get me wrong. I am VERY lucky to have so many people that care about me and want to check in with me. But, the questions and constant phone calls are driving me nuts.

If I tell someone I have an appointment with my doctor at 2pm, my phone rings off the hook starting at 2:15 (in most cases where I'm still waiting for the doctor).

And my husband's family is bugging him constantly as well. If I say I don't know the answer to a question, they ask me what the doctor thinks. The doctor is not really into speculation. So, then they want to know what I think he thinks. And, I honestly don't know.

Also - the question I hate the most is "how did you get it". I'm only 35, and I do have a history of smoking. Many do. I am also HPV 16 positive, which has caused me cervical cancer scares before. The doctors are not entirely sure what the root cause is, and quite frankly, unless it's relevant to my treatment, it doesn't really matter. I quit smoking and what's in the past is in the past - not worth dwelling on it. It would not be productive for me to blame myself or beat myself up.

Anyhow, if you have gotten this far, thanks for listening. :-)
If you have been in a similar position and have any advice on how to handle obnoxiously nosy friends/family, I'd appreciate it.

Disclaimer - I DO love my friends and family to death and know they mean well...this is just their way of expressing concern and dealing with it themselves. I don't blame anyone. I just find it overwhelming and extremely frustrating at times.

Thanks,
Gina

Female, age 35
SCC Stage IV, left oral tongue, 2.8 cm
T2N2bM0, HPV+, Former Smoker
Dx 12/31/12
1/23/13: Hemiglossectomy (1/3 of tongue) & SND
Cancer found in 4 lymph nodes, 1 with ECE post surgery
1 tx Cisplatin, 30x iMRT (6 wks)
TX ended 4/15/13
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Gina -You can vent here anytime. Everyone understands. People do care about you and worry about you. What I've heard others do is keep a blog outside of this forum, just for letting people know their progress. I don't remember where the blog is - maybe some hospitals have these? Or someone else might know here. This way whatever you want your family or friends to know, they can check on it online themselves and saves you from having to repeat everything several times. Sometimes it's the caregiver that does the blog. There is also a blog feature here, and people only reply to it if you want them to. THis way if you want to ask or say something you wouldn't want others outside of this forum to know about, it will stay that way.

Sure sounds like you have been doing research - Wow! 5 pages of questions. What I did recently when I had two doctors doing some robot surgery on me, (female stuff) and they were both very busy, I put my questions together and faxed them to the office, late one afternoon, inviting either the doctor or the doctor's nurse to reply. I was very surprised when I got a personal phone call from the doctor the next morning with answers to everything! And he said he wished all his patients did the same. You might get better answers as well since they will have time think about it and give you better answers. If you can group similar questions together, have some that only require yes/no answers, you might end up with fewer pages of questions which could help the doctor make better use of his/her appointment time with you. Let us know how you are doing.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Its ok to vent, thats what the forum is for... support. We do understand you and what you are going thru as we have been down that road ourselves.

Many patients have used a site called Caring Bridge. They tell everyone to go there for updates. This helps to eliminate what you are experiencing. The only problem with that plan is many feel they dont fall into the "caring Bridge" status as they are closer to the patient than that (sister in law, cousin, etc). If you or your husband plan on doing the Caring Bridge, you can tell everyone as much or as little info as you deem necessary. By doing a blog, you can control how much info you put out and who gets it. It also helps to get things off your chest.

Ive always said to members, it really doesnt matter how you got it, the treatment will be the same. Down the road it could be different but for now its the same. If you are HPV+ down 'there' that doesnt necessarily mean that has anything to do with your oral cancer, especially since it isnt located on the base of tongue or tonsils. Many people worry that the same thing could happen to them thats why they continue to ask how you got this.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Agreed venting is ok.
I personally had no problem telling people I had cancer, but I shared my information with only a few. Like when I had drs appointments etc. that way people didn't constantly pester me. Family knew. And when I had info I would just pass it on. But usually I would just say I'm okay... I have to - go for surgery - go for rads - etc... but that's it.

People do mean well and while cancer is what it is and you HAVE NO CHOICE but to accept that it is part of your life, I chose not to give my life over to it. I did what I had to and then lived my life. So it was part of my life, NOT ALL OF IT. During treatments I walked my dog, shopped, went to movies - actually one day I had two treatments as they'd missed one due to a broken machine and another due to a holiday (easter I think) so instead of letting them tack them on at the end I asked them to double up. So both days I went for my first - went shopping (to console myself) and then went back for a second head cook. I looked horrible and was a drooling mess but I still had fun.

Life is what you make it. Tell those close to you what you want them to know - then tell everyone else the minimum.

take care.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi, Gina
as a sincere and loving young person, you are doing your best to give fair and honest answers to difficult and personal questions. As a cynical old writer, here are my suggestions:

1. As other have suggested, take control of the communication via a blog or e-mail. When people as how you are doing, tell them the next update will be out soon.
2. If they continue to ask questions you would prefer not to answer or are unsure of yourself, you have several choices:

a. The long stare (and no response).
b. "Why do you ask?". I think I read this one in Miss Manners. It dates from the time when manners and courtesey were better appreciated. I have never had the courage to use it.
c. Reply "that's a very good question" and change the subject. If they persist and the question was about cause or prognosis, tell them that the answer is a multi-variable analysis problem. If about prognosis also say you are handling the variable under your control to the best of your ability.
d. Give them the long answer, with too much information. If that doesn't scare them enough to give you a little breathing space, you may have found a true friend to help you on this path, who is loyal to you, and does not wish to leave your side.

One other thing you might think about is a list of tasks that people could help with. My worst fear was getting sick myself and not being able to drive my husband to therapy. I had all sorts of people lines up - who were honestly VERY happy to be able to help. As it turned out, we didn't need the help, but it was wonderful knowing we had so many kind and willing friends.

My very best wishes .... and VENT ON as needed!
Maria

PS. Read Jane Austin for tips on conversation management.

Last edited by Maria; 01-17-2013 12:09 PM.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.

Gina,
Thanks for your post as it reminded me about my diagnoses and feelings back in September 2012. There is no need to feel guilty or apologize about the stress of friends/family bugging you! Everyone grieves differently, and I strongly feel in my case I would have loved the time to absorb the information and grieve before telling the whole world! My 77 year old widowed Mom lives nearby, and I knew I had to tell her right after I told my wife and kids. Any delay in telling her would have hurt her. I asked my Mom to keep it private for at least a few days. By 10pm that night, I had received over 20 phone calls from friends and family that she had told, or they heard through others. At first I was very frustrated with her telling "everyone", but I later realized this was her coping method. She was stressed and had no one else to talk to about this.

What bugged me even more were the few weeks between diagnoses and surgery. Every sentence she spoke involved CANCER. I also did not like the responses and comments from many friends. I am a private person, so really did not like answering "You do not smoke or drink, how did you get Cancer?" Better yet, "Do you think you will die?" I found myself quickly withdrawing from many friends and family and not wanting to talk to anyone except my immediate family and a few close friends.

I learned through this that everyone reacts and grieves differently. This has helped me be more aware of how I respond to others who face similar issues. Now four months later, things are much easier to discuss and talk about. I have a good core group of family and friends I feel comfortable openly talking about the Cancer with. I also have a few friends and some family members I speak less often with. Time will help. I was not comfortable writing a caring bridge, but I have found it very helpful for others. Keep your Spirits high, and as you come to greater terms this will hopefully not be a stress for you.

SCC 9/2012 right upper right maxilla
Surgery 9/27/2012 to remove portion of right maxilla
DX-after surgery cancer cells in margin
RAD-33 TX ended 12/05/12
2/13-current-Severe Trismus and Radation Fibrosis
6/13-clear PET
6/13-Infection in radiation area of mouth, with surgery to drain infection
8/13-ended 40 HBOT treatments
11/13-Clear PET
3/14-Botox injections for severe Trismus
5/14-Clear PET/ 11/14-clear PET
Male age 53, non smoker, non drinker
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Have you considered making one person the "go to" person?

In our situation, Alex was in charge of getting through treatment and I was in charge of logistics and PR. About once a week when he was well enough, I took Alex to the pub to catch up with his "scaley mates" albeit for 10 minutes. They greeted him as if he was just coming in for a beer after work (boys - they crack me up smile ) but the second Alex left the room, the questions were asked and answered without embellishment. The conversation would start with "Alex isn't dying this week - what else do you want to know?" It addressed the elephant in the room and gave them permission to ask anything of me but nothing of Alex.

I also sent regular emails to one person in each of our social circles and asked them to share the information rather than ask/bother Alex who was too busy fighting cancer to answer their questions. It also took pressure off me as I wasn't fielding too many phone calls or emails.

I would also be inclined to be fairly blunt with the people who are ringing and checking on you and let them know that you have a lot going on and you will update them when you are able (physically and emotionally). I had my mother ringing me every night and eventually I had to ask her to stop and make it once a week. Same with Alex's Mum - the phone call was a planned Saturday morning update which was NOT the day of treatments. Each Mum, then took responsibility to tell the rest of the family leaving Alex to deal with the business of getting well.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight

Gina

Three pieces of advice:
1. Set up a group email mailing list. Send one message each day or have a person who does it with whatever is new. Even if nothing but in my experience, I had always had a new symptom or problem. With daily updates, no excuse to bother you. just ask, didn't you get the email?
2. Splurge and buy multiple copies of Lori Hope's book
Help Me Live, Revised: 20 Things People with Cancer Want You to Know [Paperback] on Amazon (use the OCF link )
It's the book I love yet hate since it was the book I thought I would write but here it was already done.
Give it to all those family and friends (or sell it to them!)
3. Read the 49 pages of a thread I started that the OCF members have really filled out: colloborative writing;
Don't you just hate it when...
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 01-17-2013 06:20 PM. Reason: url glitch

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Gina. Maybe you could give them the OCF website info and they could find out a little more about this type of cancer.

As a "caregiver" my frustration came from people asking me "how could John get this type of cancer when he eats so healthy, has never smoked a day in his life and only drinks socially?" As if you did smoke, drink heavily and don't take care of yourself it's o.k. to get this cancer or any cancer. I just told everyone "bad luck I guess".

I know it is frustrating but they are probably scared and concerned. My husband's family members dealt with it by NEVER calling, asking any questions or offering any support or help.

Welcome to our little family and feel free to come here and vent anytime. That is what we are here for.

Wanda (47) caregiver to husband John (56) age at diag.(2009)
1-13-09 diagnosed Stage IV BOT SCC (HPV+)
2-12-09 PEG placed, 7-6-09 removed
Cisplatin 7 weeks, 7 weeks (35) IMRT
4-15-09 - treatment completed
8-09,12-09-CT Scans clear, 4-10,6-11-PET Scans clear
4-2013 - HBO (30 dives) tooth extraction
10-2019 - tooth extraction, HBO (10 dives)
11-2019 - Left lateral tongue SCC - Stage 2
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Gina - I know what you're going through. I remember being in the ICU and actually dreading visits from people, as I knew what it would take out of me. And then during treatment I had enough trouble just getting out of bed, let alone answering the phone.

Some great suggestions here, wish I'd thought of them!

I especially like the long stare.

But the assigning someone to be your PR person is really a great idea. Caring Bridge is also an excellent resource.

Of course, there are other less polite ways to deal with it too... (only half-kidding here, btw)

Remember that we're here for any and all venting!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics