Next Thread
Print Thread
"OCF Down Under"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has had the same as me. I know taste changes are normal after radio therapy but wanted to know if anyone had gotten worse a few months after treatment finished? I'm three and a half months post radio therapy and recently feel my saliva is more dry (than usual) and my taste is getting worse?? I could be imagining it but think that my taste is getting weaker. Has anyone had anything the same?? Xx thanks!,, I'm such a worry wart.

Female 34. Non smoker, casual drinker
Dx July 12 stage 1 scc to left tonsil n0 m0. Hpv + 16 . 7 weeks daily rads finished sept 2012. 3 mth scan - low activity in primary spot hopefly t's just inflam. 2013 Abnormal tissue next base of tongue, came back negative. 5 month scan all clear!!!!! Yayy
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

We all can recovery differently but for most this process takes appx 2 years post Tx with out first year seeing the most changes. During that time we all have ups and downs so don't be too quick to evaluate your progress. My taste and saliva which I think go hand in hand improved slowly and in bursts. I saw improvements at 4 most PT, 5 months, the biggest at 14 months and a tad more at 24 months. Be patient is my best advice.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Everyone's taste changes all the time due to a variety of reasons some which David mentioned. Taste buds per say have a life cycle of 10-14 days in everyone and die off continuously, and regenerate, and everyone has a diffetent amount of taste buds to begin with anywhere from 2000-5000. In our case, more died off in a differerent way from chemo and radiation, and more were destroyed than can be replaced, plus treatment destroying or damaging the salivary glands, and the nerves that tranmit taste to the brain, all has an effect on taste.

There are other things can effect the change of taste too like medications, infections, certain foods, eating hot, spicy or irritant foods or anyhing else that may dull the senses. It takes time, and some taste senses come back sooner than others, and other salivary glands may compensate for the loss of damaged ones.

There is more to taste than just tasting. It not only involved the 5 taste senses...salt, sweet, sour, bitter and umami, but other senses are inloved such as memory, smell, hearing, seeing and feeling, so using all these senses may help improve taste, and eating food warm, cool or room temperature, instead of hot, improves taste too.

Saliva can be produced by smelling lemons or drinking lemon water. Taste can be acquired too by introducng different foods, and I just keep trying different foods to expose my taste buds to them.

If you ever want to see the amount of taste buds you have, you can place a round sticker, the type used for loose-life paper holes, on the tongue, and place a dot of blue food coloring in the center of it. The papillae will not turn dark color, so you can count them, and the higher the number of these the better your taste is.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Thanks David and Paul, you would never think there was so much involved in just tasting! The reason I was asking is the very first symptom I had before I noticed my tonsil was that I noticed when I ate a piece of that pre sliced processed cheese it tasted different, almost like it was just chemicals (lol it probably is but it's all I could taste). Now three and a half months post treatment I had a slice the other day, I can't remember if I'd had it since treatment but I thought I had and it went back to tasting normal. But now after retrying it, it has that chemical taste back again. I'm really scared that it may mean my cancer is not all gone and is beginning to grow again. frown

Dx July 12 stage 1 scc to left tonsil n0 m0. Hpv + 16 . 7 weeks daily rads finished sept 2012. 3 mth scan - low activity in primary spot hopefly t's just inflam. 2013 Abnormal tissue next base of tongue, came back negative. 5 month scan all clear!!!!! Yayy
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Shell, it sounds to me as if you're just going through the normal process of continual change in taste, salivary function and various other sensory inputs post-TX. Plus over time we naturally tend to forget exactly how things tasted before the cancer and treatment, just as we forget exactly how moist or dry our mouths were - for comparison purposes.

It's easy for me to recommend that you not worry so much (I'm a worrier too), so I won't. But I will say that time will show you many different things and that as David and Paul have written, it's always in flux for us folks.

I found the only consistent taste I maintained was for sweet things. But then I've always been a sugar addict.

Take a few deep breaths, keep trying things and whenever you feel anxious come in here and talk to us!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Thanks David, I feel so helpless when my anxiety starts spiralling. I had a persistent cough not long ago and was coughing up a bit a blood, not much but enough to have myself convinced that cancer was not only back but travelled to my lungs. Its exhausting living in fear. I have my pet in 8 weeks, it'll be a long wait but once the holidays are over and I'm back at work that will pass the time more quickly. I even rang a big cancer centre in Sydney
"just in case" the news isnt good after my next scan so that way I won't have to go on a long waiting list to see the surgeon. I can always cancel if it's not needed. Thanks heaps for your replies, it really does help.

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Shell,
Keep that good attitude going! It seems to me that my life has more to do with my perspective than with what actually happens. You're very resourceful to plan ahead and call the cancer center "just in case", but sometimes we just have to learn to let it go after gnawing all the gristle we possibly can out of things! :-)
I had more than 1/2 of my tongue removed a few years back and I know that I can't really "taste" food the way I used to, but eating is still one of my favorite things to do, 'coz I eat a lot of "comfort food" that I grew up with or healthy fresh veggies that I've learned to love over the years. It really is secondary what my taste buds are signaling to my brain-what's important is what my mind makes of it; a taste-fest fit for a king and delivered daily with a great big smile!
You really ARE loved!
Gordon

SCC right tonsil Dx 14 Feb 03
No surg till Apr 03
Lip resection Sep 05 "frankenface"
Recurr Apr 10
2/3 tongue removed Jun 10
SPEECH/SWALLOW/DROOL challenges FUN!
Dec 10 Tumor @ nodes/larynx/cart artery growing
Erbitux Mar 11 Hyoid bone regrows!?
recur Dec 12
begin taxo chemo
10yrs-still kickin!

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

One thing that most, if not all of us, experience post Tx is "now what?". We all live with the Big R hanging over our heads. Everything from a sore indigestion to a cold can send us over that cliff of reason. Some also experience some form of depression anywhere from mild to severe, requiring medical intervention.

Another thing to look out for is thyroid damage from the radiation. Depending upon where you were radiated and how much, if any, damage was done to your Thyroid, it may not recover resulting in a host of symptoms that may clue you to that irreversable damage. Mine were constantly being cold, in Florida, in September. Look up Hypothyroidism.

First year post Tx is both physically AND mentally difficult. Good news is it's mostly uphill from now on.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

David, the cold is definitely something I relate to. I spent the first summer after my treatment wearing sweaters indoors in Los Angeles. I still have a persistent chill even on 100 mcg of Synthroid (next blood test is next week so we'll see if that's enough). Can't imagine having to live with actual winter!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics