Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"OCF Down Under"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Kate
I had similar surgery to you. And was 32 at surgery.

A little over a third of my tongue was removed. I was told not to expect too highly in terms of speech.

At first i couldn't string words together and didn't expect to ever properly get back to all aspects of my work (occasionally ran training sessions, and sang as well in my "other" job).

It all came back though, and each "first" (first training session, first gig etc) was awesome.

So, be patient, your body will sort itself out and you'll have a bunch of great moments to look forward to!

Best
jon

stage 2 scc in left oral tongue. 32 at dx
removed 21/12/09 plus left neck dissection and upper arm flap.
clear pathology 24/12/09
non-smoker
active footballer/surfer
social drinker
lives stress-free!

Kate,

My story is similiar. Stage 1 SSC, 1.5cm .3cm deep. I too am concerned about my speech returning to normal, but one week post op, its getting better every day.

What is the status of your recovery?

Sincerely, Andy

Oral Tongue Cancer, SSC, T1 1.5cm diameter,.3cm deep,HPV neg
DX: Dec 21, 2012
Surgery: partial glossectomy +-15%, Jan 4, 2013
Oral Lichen Planus since 2008'sh
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Kate,

Aother similar story, I lost just over 50% of my tongue. I have been back to work as a lawyer, in a courtroom full time sine a month after surgery. I say to people that I started off sounding like the godfather, then like elmer fudd with a lisp and now I have some slight issues with a prolonged "s" and some "r" sounds. I'm working with a speech therapist to correct those.

Practice, practice, practice. I would sing for an an hour every night at home to work on enunciation and getting words together quickly.

You'll be fine.

Tina
Diag: Aug. 13/12
T3N0M0
50% + glossectomy and bilateral radical neck dissection, removal of nodes zones I - V
Surgery October 11/12
Chemo/rad on hold due to clear margins and nodes
Sept 21/13 clear CT with anomaly thought to be the artery, being watched closely.
Dec 16/13 - anomaly confirmed artery, all clear
nickname: "get 'r done"
Plans: kick cancer's butt

braziliangirl

In a post somewhere, can't find it, I ask what "positive closure" meant and you responded with an answer. It turns out that your explanation was what I thought it was and recently heard about. Previously I had only heard about "flaps" (use of skin from another part of the body)to fill in the portion of the tongue removed. Did your Doctor ever propose using a flap instead of positive closure. If so, why was positive closure used instead of a flap. It seems to me, someone that knows nothing about it, that positive closure would be better. What do you think.? Do you have an problem with "aspiration" (I believe that is the word) where fluids etc. can go to the lungs (very dangerious)instead of the stomach? I have just completed a second rad and chemo treatment for a recurrence. If it did not work, I am afraid it may not, then surgery will probably be necessary. I will know some results this week so I am starting to think about what options I may have.

Thanks for any time you have for explanation.

nocam

2010 sore throat
Jan 2011 ENT no prob
Jun CAT no prob
July PET
July biop pos
July PEG

HPI (1-3) T2N1 squamous cell carcinoma right tongue base treatment chemo/XRT end Oct 2011.
Jan 2012 PET neg
June PET-18mm mass right tongue base pos to 7.2 SUV no nodes pos
July MRI.
July bio pos
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912