Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Thanks David

The eating at this point is simply because every thing has such a disgusting taste and texture I feel like it is going to come up before it even goes down. I managed to get some buttered noodles and a protein smoothie down today so far.

Realized I cannot use the sulfadiazine because I'm allergic to sufa drugs. The aloe seems to be clearing up the rash on my upper chest.

Barbara/Babs/BJ
Oct.8,2012
SCC BOT WITH LEFT NECK LYMPHADENOPATHY
Mod rad neck dis,left, levels I through IV
partial gloss
microdirect laryngoscopy with biopsy
bronchoscopy
lingual tonsillectomy
HPV
rad-rapid arc imrt x35
cisplatin x3
KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Barb,
I haven't been around for a bit because we took the kids to Florida for a clear PET celebration, but I wanted to just say that you are doing a great job and what you feel is just that...what you feel. You can't help it, but you are taking the initiative to share on here so that means you ARE dealing with it, even though it seems to rule you sometimes. We all get it and have all been there.
Have you tried scrambled eggs? Kevin ate these almost all of tx except the last week or rads and the 2 weeks after. They slid down easily and had very little taste but LOTS of protein. Just a thought. He also did the noodles with butter. The 3 minute spiral pasta seemed to work the best for him. Not sure why?!
Keep posting, it's definitely therapeutic!!
Blessings,
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I did not know I could be as emotional as I have become since developing cancer and undergoing treatment. Treatment is tough, a real trial for anyone to go through, and it exacts a toll. I would encourage you to talk openly with your doctor about your feelings and your overall emotional tone; it could be that you are developing depression in response to all you are going through. That happened to me and I somewhat reluctantly agreed to try an antidepressant (Remeron, which also helps boost appetite and makes sleeping easier). It has been very helpful: mood improved, became more like my old self, and was able to force more Boost in (don't be afraid of the supplements; of not using them much yet, they can be very helpful when eating solids becomes difficult). Best wishes.

Ed H, NE Ohio
SCC BOT with lymph node involvement, HPV+, diagnosed 7/12
Radiation and Cisplatin
OP Offline

Thanks Kathy and Ed. Yes, the emotional toll is very draining, for myself and my family. I will talk to the oncologist tomorrow when I have chemo--I'll certainly be there long enough. I'm not familiar with Remeron, but I'll look it up.

Kathy, as a matter of fact, my husband made me scrambled eggs last night. Any and all ideas are deeply appreciated.
Barbara

Barbara/Babs/BJ
Oct.8,2012
SCC BOT WITH LEFT NECK LYMPHADENOPATHY
Mod rad neck dis,left, levels I through IV
partial gloss
microdirect laryngoscopy with biopsy
bronchoscopy
lingual tonsillectomy
HPV
rad-rapid arc imrt x35
cisplatin x3

Hi Barb--how did the second chemo go? How are you holding up?

I went through about 6-8 weeks where I had zero appetite and zero interest in consuming anything, whether it be boost or "real food"; everything tasted bad except for vanilla boost, and solids were like chewing so much kleenex--would literally gag me. During this period my intake dropped and I lost probably 30 lbs. Some days I could only gag down one boost. I pushed myself as best I could but emotionally I was not in a good place and everything was hard. The antidepressant helped, as did the end of the rad tx's. I came really close to getting a feeding tube, which I very much wanted to avoid, and being told I would get one at the next appt if I lost more weight also motivated me. I sort of buckled down at that point, and along with being in a better mood and being somewhat more optimistic (by that point a little bit of taste was beginning to come back--that really helps). Anyhow, things had evolved and it was easier to keep up my intake. However, I still have to work at it, as although I am more interested in food now (wishing I could eat my favorite foods again, though I can't bec they burn my tongue, are dry, etc), the severe dry mouth really gets in the way, so I am still relying on Boost for 90% of my calories. I am trying foods most days, seeing what works now and what doesn't. Grapes work, though not perfectly, as does lettuce and green beans, just bec they all are juicy and work with the dry mouth.

The point I am trying to make is that there will be times where what you need to do, be it intake or mouth exercises or getting up and moving, is difficult and the last thing you want to do. We just have to power through it a best we can, holding on for the time when tx's are in the past and you are in recovery mode, and functions begin to come back, mucous thins and no longer gags you (that thick, sticky mucous is a real contributor to "not wanting to eat" for many; it gags you, causes nausea and retching, tastes terrible, etc). So keep telling yourself that chances are what you are experiencing is temporary, and you can wait it out. Hang in there, and I hope the holidays are as happy as they can be (they will be better next year).

Ed H, NE Ohio
SCC BOT with lymph node involvement, HPV+, diagnosed 7/12
Radiation and Cisplatin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members