Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#158680 12-08-2012 07:48 AM
OP Offline

This website is great first off and I'm glad there is a place to go and get real answers. I have 7 weeks of combined Cisplatin and Radiation, I was wondering if anyone here has experienced this treatment protocol and at what point does pain become a factor? I know we are all wired different but after 1 week, I feel little to no side effects and/or pain. I am not nieve to think that its not coming but I really want to avoid a feeding tube if possible. Also, does anyone know if the Cisplatin builds up over time? How long does it stay in your system after the 7 weeks?

Thanks for any and all feedback!

3/20 Lymph Nodes (+)
Cisplatin/6600 Radiation - Began December 3, 2012 - 7 weeks

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF! I am sending you a PM with some info to help guide you with just starting out on the forum. After a few posts you will be a pro.

Many of us including myself have been thru radiation and cisplatin. How many doses of cisplatin are you getting? If weekly it is easier to tolerate vs the 3 big bag method. Nutrition and hydration will play a huge role in how easily you get thru this. Most members have not had a problem during their first week and a few others have struggled from day 1. Every single day get a minimum of 2500 calories and 48 oz of water and you will do ok. Water is very important with chemo to flush it out of your system to avoid kidney problems. Watch closely for any hearing or vision changes and report that immediately to your doctor.

Radiation builds up over time and will continue to work for a while even after you finish treatments. Chemo stays in your system for a while too. Sorry but I do not know exact figures of how long as this would depend on too many factors including dosage, etc.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

That is the recommended "Gold Standard" treatment for HNSCC you are getting, so many others have have gotten it. Cisplatin, a platinum based chemo, has effects on the nerves, kindeys, mucus lining, and can cause vomiting and nausea, so careful monitoring, hydration, is needed during infusions. The kidneys clear the Cisplatin from the body, so it doesn't stay long, so as mentioned, drinking adequte water is necessary. Side effects can vary since acute and late stage toxicities depend on the person, type of chemo, as mono therapy or as a cocktail, amount of dosage, duration and speed of the infusion, underlying medical conditions, and if given with concurrent radiation can compound toxicities. Most side effects are temporary since normal cells can repair themselves unlike cancer cells, which do not, and should go back to normal after treatment ceases, but some can be permament like hearing and vision problems, neuropathy, kidney problems, bone marrow supression, so these need to be checked by your doctors. Smaller weekly infusions are more tolerable than larger three bag dose treatment spread over the 7 weeks. Some get Carboplatin instead to reduce toxicities. Good luck with everything.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Yes,that first week can be very misleading, but enjoy it. I went almost two weeks before really feeling it. As for avoiding a feeding tube or PEG tube as it is called (percutaneous endoscopic gastronomy), it can be done. I did eight weeks of radiation and chemo (Erbitux) the first time without a feeding tube. Heads up that it is hard to get enough calories after you can't eat solid food, but then I switched to Ensure Plus and forced down 6 cans a day. I'm not alone here in getting thru without a feeding tube, Michael Douglas did also, plus many other OCF members. But be sure you are prepared for how hard it is to do this with a feeding tube. For me, it was psychologically important so the extra difficulty was worth it.
Unlike most OCF posters,(with apologies to Joni Mitchell)
[quote]I've looked at PEGs from both sides now, from win and lose, and still somehow, it's PEG's illusions I recall, [/quote]. After the salvage surgery, my epiglottis was damaged so I could not swallow at all. I was surprised at all the complications of a PEG, from leakage, to the tube dangling, to spilling. Whether you get a PEG or not, be proactive in getting adequate pain relief, moving up from Percocet to fentanyl patches (synthetic morphine) as needed.
You can do this, we all have, some of us more than once (like PaulB)
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 12-08-2012 12:15 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi - ditto what others have said - rads is generally worse than chemo - I found other than mild nausea chemo wasn't to bad. But everyone has their own level of tolerance and is affected differently. Rads will likely kick in around week 3-4 and last for a few weeks after treatment has stopped. I managed without a feeding tube as well. It is doable but you have to be willing to push yourself to get enough nutrition. Best of luck.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Alex and I were warned on this forum that the effects of chemoradiation would likely start making Alex miserable around week 3 or 4 and continue 2, maybe 3 weeks after radiation finished. This seems true as an average.

So when Alex got to week 3 and was still upright, it felt like a bonus. When he made it all the way through to the end with relatively few side effects, we felt we had been dealt 4 aces. He did indeed suffer with mouth ulcers from week 4 and had sleep disturbances through the entire thing, and there was 1 week beyond the end of treatment when it hurt to talk.

The reality was, he was probably very very sick but I think our expectations had been tempered by a dreadful time with induction chemo it was not so bad by comparison. We had been told by doctors that chemoradiation was "brutal" so when it turned out to be merely "just as bad", as the chemotherapy, we felt we had got off lightly.

I believe that because we had been forced into successfully managing feeding and pain management before we even got into chemoradiation, it made a world of difference as to how Alex handled the chemoradiation (cisplatin plus radiation for 7 weeks - same as you). For this reason, I would implore you to take your pain killers at first sign of pain and not wait until you can't bear it which will be too late and a devil to get back under control. Make hydration and nutrition a priority too.

Nausea and vomiting is a well recognised side effect of cisplatin and healthcare professionals go to great lengths to control it (successfully in most cases) but the chemo component also makes the mouth ulcers and thrush worse. These are recognised as radiation side effects, so sometimes people forget that the addition of cisplatin (or any other cytotoxic agent) potentiates these side effects. This is where you will have to just have to persevere.

Hopefully by the time you get the "persevere" bit, the end will be in sight and the countdown to a "good" day will be doable.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

It appears that my husband finds anything that is not freshly made (soups, smoothies) tastes "chemically." He has always loved Jello but now finds it so unpleasant that he can't bring himself to eat it. If you are planning to get all your calories from food, it is going to be hard. Our dietitian told us that it's all very well to subsist on soups and smoothies but my husband will be missing some of the essential vitamins and minerals, which you can get in Ensure and Boost. Please try and stay ahead of the game in every respect -- hydration, nutrients, pain management. Don't wait until there is a crisis.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
OP Offline

Hi ALL,

Still trying to understand how and when to post on this site. I got some PM and apparently I posted on a 5 year old post my first time. Oops. I really appreciate all your feedback, I knew my first and second week would give me a totally different feel than my 6-7th week. I am having juice - my wife juices: Kail; Spinach; Green Apples and Carrots daily. It doesn't taste bad and my goal is to force this down everyday 3x/day. My only side effect after week 1 is a lump under my jaw that isn't causing pain but it does effect my range of motion in opening my mouth. I know that if it gets impossible to eat then a PEG will be necessary but my personal goal in all of this is to avoid at all costs within reason. I am in healthcare, so I know without proper nutrition, it could effect many other areas of my body. Thank you all for the feedback, we are all in this together! God Bless each of you, patients and caregivers. I lost my Mom, December 11, 1993 from Breast Cancer, I wish there was more computers/websites back then and support for her, my way to honor her is to fight this and live another 30 years. I am so thankful for this website and the people involved. Carpe Diem!

3/20 Lymph Nodes (+)
Cisplatin/6600 Radiation - Began December 3, 2012 - 7 weeks

After a few posts, you will get the hang of the forum. It doesnt take long to learn all the ins and outs. If you have questions, please ask and we will help you.

Sorry to hear about your mom!

During treatments there are exercises you can do to help keep your range of motion as close to your usual as possible. Stretch open your mouth as wide as possible and hold it for 7 seconds, repeat 7 times in a row and do 7 sets every day.

Best wishes with your treatments.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

This is just my "educated" guess from being on this site for over 6 years...appx 10% of us breeze through this Tx; 10% have problems from day one and the rest or 80% of us really suffer from about week 4 thru week 3 post Tx with the weeks post Tx being by far the worst.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics