Print Thread
#157419 11-11-2012 03:51 AM
"OCF Canuck"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Hi all ! Love you all <3
I had 2 "lower first molars" pulled before my surgery and subsequent radiation. It was almost more traumatic than the cancer treatment itself. There was no time for my regular dentist to do any work beforehand as my oral tongue tumor grew so rapidly after my first biopsy.

I recently saw a very $$$$$ prothodontist who recommended that I get implants rather than a partial denture. She said it will be a permanent fix, rather than a plaque-attracting denture. This would involve a restoration of bone in both sides of my jaw, as the extractions and radiation caused bone loss.
Sooooo - her plan is to have a private oral surgeon assess me, and I would either have bone taken from some part of my body, or get bones from a bone bank (AKA cadaver bone).

My surgeons warned me after my treatments that this might not be the way to go due to ORN possibilities. They said to wait for 2 years before I even considered tooth replacement, and also said that dentures could be a problem if they rubbed on the radiated areas.

I am now at a crossroad. I only have one chewing surface at the back of my left jaw. I can sorta eat solid food, but it's not easy and I am very self-conscious about it. It is effecting my enjoyment of life.

My questions are:
Have any of you had to make this decision?
What was your experience?
Is the possibility of ORN for these procedures a big concern? (I am terrified of ORN and trismas at this point.)

I have read all I can on the main website - great info, but I just wondered if anyone had any personal experience with this. I also know that many SCC patients have lost all their teeth, or cannot eat by mouth at all. I admire your love of life. I was ready to die and did not fear it at all. Funny, but I had major depression before the cancer even happened. Now I'm coming out of it and could use your insights.

Thank you so much.

Pain late 2009. Dx as change in altitude. Sore spot on tongue late 2010. Dx as irritation.
Leukoplakia Bx Feb 2011 - Lichen Planus.
Bx May 2011 - Hyperplasia. Same sample retested as SCC.
June 2011 Rt Hemigloss,ND,rff,33 Rads. Hosp for 15 days w/bi-lateral pneumonia.
T3N1M0 Stage IV.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

H there... Congrats on up getting through it. I'm sure someone will be along to share their experience, I have a missing molar on the side I chew on, this irritates my tongue on that side so I have to be careful. But it must be hard. I think you should definitely give yourself a chance to heal - first, maybe stick to softer foods for a bit. Hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I have no advice here but curious to the responses, I hope someone responds. I would like to know this for the future myself.

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Someone on an online group I am involved in today posted pictures of her mouth with the titanium rods holding her jaw together and the posts for her impending implants. I know people do have it done. I would wait some time before doing it though. Give yourself time to heal. Also some people reject the titanium. And if they are digging around in there to put titanium in I am wondering if HBO is prudent.

good luck and let us know.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"OCF across the pond"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Shauneen. I had 10 back teeth removed so I am very interested in any responses too. I'm no where near considering implants or dentures but I appreciate how difficult a decision will be. I agreed the news I had to have the teeth out was the most traumatic news I got at my first consultation! Sally

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

That someone Cheryld mentioned is me and the implants are not impending. The entire process was completed in 2010.

My lower jaw was reconstructed with bone taken from my hip due to Osteonradionecrosis (ORN). I underwent HBO treatments before my mandible jaw was reconstructed. Unfortunately most of my mandible was dead along with the original tongue flap. Both mandible and flap could not be saved. Surgeons removed most of my lower jaw, gums and approximately 14 teeth. Five implant posts were surgically inserted into my reconstructed mandible many months after my new jaw bone healed. My Maxillofacial Oral Surgeon and a Prosthodontist put together a plan and designed a denture structure suitable to my rearranged mouth cavity.

The process took many months and several procedures. Send me a PM if you would like any information from my experience.

Last edited by Karen Rose; 11-13-2012 05:50 PM.

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Thanks to all!

I met with one of my surgeons today. He said that extractions and implants have great risk in my case. He also said that bone grafts (if I chose the implant option) might not be necessary, but they would be a risk as well. Plus more operations *faint* *scream* *OMG* *major medical phobias* for me!
I asked how many patients he sees with ORN caused by these things. He said there have been a rash of them lately. (Wow - I should have asked who did the dental procedures...)

So he thought (and so do I now), that I should get the partial dentures. I could get implants in a few years if I want to take the risk, and if my QOL doesn't improve with removable, yet plaque-laden teeth. (But I will clean them often.)

I also asked about Alberta Health Care coverage. He said I need to talk to my dentist as some dental work is covered by AHC if it is deemed medically necessary. There is also an option of getting the Tom Baker Cancer Center to contribute to the costs. (Canucks will know what I'm talking about with health insurance.)

So the next step is my dentist. I will keep you posted.

Cherlyd - thanks for letting Karen Rose know about this post, and Karen - I will PM you if I have questions after I see my dentist.

Love to all - you are a great group of people.

Pain late 2009. Dx as change in altitude. Sore spot on tongue late 2010. Dx as irritation.
Leukoplakia Bx Feb 2011 - Lichen Planus.
Bx May 2011 - Hyperplasia. Same sample retested as SCC.
June 2011 Rt Hemigloss,ND,rff,33 Rads. Hosp for 15 days w/bi-lateral pneumonia.
T3N1M0 Stage IV.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

smile yeah I think Karen saw the post on her own but I am so glad she gave you some input! smile also make sure your dentures fit well the last thing you want is irritated gums!!!!! smile

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics