Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hello, I used to be a smoker, and now I am very nervous about my oral cavity. I read that a possible symptom of oral cancer is thickening tissue. Could somebody explain what that means exactly?

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My husband had a hard white area on his tongue that thankfully was deemed to be nothing other than some sort of scar tissue. He described as hard like a newly formed scar. I hope that helps.

Bette/CG to husband Reggie 66

dx 1: SCC Soft Palate (12/06)
tx: chemo and rad

dx 2: SCC 6 cm tum rt. vocal chord (12/09)
tx: total laryngectomy with stoma, 2 nodes

dx 3: SCC 4 cm tum BOT (10/16/12)
Tx: partial gloss w/ mod deck dis 4 nodes incl. part. pharyngectomy
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Oral cancer is rare so don't worry yourself needlessly. Do watch any sores that may stick around in the oral cavity for more than 2 weeks or any lumps that pop up on either side of your neck. If that happens go see an ENT, otherwise forget about this site and have a wonderful life!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Hello Maiku....

I am no doctor, you may find the link below helpful, but the very site you are in now (OCF) provides a wealth of information to look through and become informed.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/screening/oral/Patient/page3 National Cancer Institute

In my opnion your best defense is regular checkups by a dentist who is very knowledgeable about Oral Cancer as well as your own personal exams if you should see changes in your mouth you do not understand or that last more than 2 weeks.

Last edited by timothy6003; 11-17-2012 03:42 AM.

Tim Cogdill
Base of Tongue Stage III w/ 1 lymph node SCC HPV +
DX October 2011
Last Radiation January 2012
Most Recent Scans have been NED

David,
I loved your reply!! and I checked out the link Tim provided. I came to this site about a month ago and I have all the risk factors and symptoms of upper throat cancer...but there is no 'mass to biopsy'. I've had horrible jaw/throat and neck pain for over 3 months. I had 2 'possibly broken' teeth removed. 4 rounds of Antibiotics/3 rounds of steriods, 6 dentists of varying specialties/a weekend in the ER/ENT and my oncologist (breast CA 2 yrs ago). Blood tests/2 CT scans and numerous xrays of my mouth and jaw. Does this sound like a Christmas song?
I continue to have a red sore throat, swollen tongue and ulcer after ulcer erupting in my tori. I've been told to just let it settle down, but I am nearing my wits end. Perhaps my tongue keeps that area inflammed, but I don't know what else to do. I have Magic Mouthwash and Anbesol and have been taking hydrocodene for 2 months so I can keep working. It hurts to talk, eat and swallow. I do salt water rinses 4x a day, that I hate. It burns my tongue. Thank you so much for listening. I am tired of not feeling good. Any avenues to pursue would be appreciated. My onc did order an additional blood test (?) of which the results are not in yet. I can get a PET scan, but it won't differentiate inflamed tissue vs a mass.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics